TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

The holding brake on possessed will never work again.

Can you (or anyone affiliated w/ the park) confirm if its because of budget/how much power it sucks up, or because its broken and somehow irreparable? I've heard both excuses. Either way its lame.

I was told by both a few ride supervisors and a few people from maintenance that it is because it uses so much electricity to run.

Dorney's impulse is the only one I've ever seen a holding break active on and I actually really enjoyed it.

I experienced the holding brake on Valleyfair's impulse, and thought much more of it than of Dorney's (which wasn't running it when I rode it) because of it.

Dorney's impulse is the only one I've ever seen a holding break active on and I actually really enjoyed it.

I experienced the holding brake on Valleyfair's impulse, and thought much more of it than of Dorney's (which wasn't running it when I rode it) because of it.

Same here. Those Intamin inverted impulse coasters are all great, but Steel Venom is the best of the bunch.

The holding brake really added to the experience on Steel Venom for me. It felt old hat on Possessed, but I'm still in favor of them. I wish the one at SFGAm worked, but I don't even miss the one at SFDK anymore because the different layout makes up for it. I don't wish for it on Wicked Twister, either, since that one also has uniqueness in its favor.

So was there a fence or anything worth noting down at the old Stinger site? They should setup the old skyride to get people out to the Flying Eagles considering how empty that area is. Turdville.

Nope, just new normal park fencing where the entrance was and all the same old fencing around the rest of where Stinger was. It's a bit odd that the Cedar Creek Flyers weren't relocated to where the Chance Carousel or Snoopy's Bounce House were. Where it's at now, they may as well just close it to save on staffing.

The holding brake on possessed will never work again.

Can you (or anyone affiliated w/ the park) confirm if its because of budget/how much power it sucks up, or because its broken and somehow irreparable? I've heard both excuses. Either way its lame.

I was told by both a few ride supervisors and a few people from maintenance that it is because it uses so much electricity to run.

seconding this. My information comes from one of the maintenance foremen.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by the park for a few hours today, and here's a few things worth noting. Kaleidoscope definitely wasn't running as intended last year. This year it is noticeably faster and just seems to be operating more normally, for a much better ride (I haven't ridden KD's troika in a while, but from what I remember Kaleidoscope may even be running a bit faster than that now). Also, behind the old Stinger maintenance shed, there are a bunch of trees and other foliage in planters. I'm assuming this is what will be taking over Stinger's grass area (how exciting). I also got my first ride on Thunderhawk this season. The final turnaround is definitely noticeably smoother, but the ride still sucks with the new trains.

Edit: Misspelled a word

Edited by SkyToro

Those planters are clearly there so they can hide the GCI stuff

Yeah, don't want a crate with the GCI logo on it to be visible. They're learning from the mistakes at Carowinds.

Those planters are clearly there so they can hide the GCI stuff

GCI? I thought we made a deal with Europe - Knotts boomerang in exchange for Kanonen? Is that not happening now?

• 3 weeks later...

I think at this point it is pretty safe to assume nothing major will be happing with the Stinger plot anytime soon. I feel like we would have been seeing some ground work by now.