TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

While it may be amazing if a GCI comes, there's reasons why they haven't added one. If they have one short woodie they can't keep smooth, why does anyone think they'd be able to properly maintain another one? Also, if they're removing a maintenance headache, why would they add a ride that needs constant money put into it to keep it running well? 3rd, if they were to add a GCI, how are supposed to configure it without tearing out and adding infrastructure? Dorney is a small park, so if they were to go big and add a new coaster, they're definitely not going to want to have to spend a ton of money creating a new station, new queue, and relocating several rides just to add a coaster, when they could get a cheaper addition and not have to do any changes to the surrounding land. And this is all hypothetical, as in all honesty, a waterpark addition or a planet snoopy addition are much more likely with the small scale additions Dorney receives. I absolutely hate it when everyone assumes that just because a rollercoaster was removed, a really awesome new one will be replacing it the next year. Did Kings Dominion replace Shockwave with a coaster? I didn't think so. Removing Stinger simply helps clean the lineup and give maintenance some more money to keep rides people actually go to up and running. Let's keep things realistic, and stop instantly assuming that they'll be getting a GCI because then otherwise y'all will be looking at a KD 2017 2.0 here.

Well considering GCA put RailBlazer in the original spot of this exact same coaster, I’d put my money on a Raptor if it’s a coaster. Thank god this isn’t a Six Flags Park so we know it’s not a 4-D free spin.

You are knocking the approach taken by Six Flags of building clones and then guessing that Cedar Fair will follow the same approach of building a clone.

What is your point? Are you planning a career in politics?

Stinger is a surprisingly fun coaster, but I rarely saw it running. I think it was open for my past 2 visits but it was closed for the 3-4 before that.

Yep. I liked Two-Face at SFA and Invertigo at Kings Island. These coasters are fun (better than Vekoma's Boomerangs, that's for sure), but it's a pity they have so many technical issues.

Why do the Inverted Boomerangs have so many technical issues?

With the closure of Stinger, I think the park needs to move the Cedar Creek Flyers to the little plot of concrete where the Chance Carousel used to be. Remove the pavilions/ Urgent Scare and Dino's Alive and put a GCI down there (also using the Grave Walkers land). Just for fun, I Photoshopped Prowler and Renegade into that area to see how something like this would look.

Yeah no. The few problems though with the park building back there is

1) its a "flood" zone. so it would be hard to get anything approved, especially knowing the township.

And 2) there is a water main that runs back there, and the township said they will rip out anything and everything, including a coaster, to fix it.

Also, the flyers arent being moved, that plot of land has already been ripped up and back filled with dirt. Urgent scare is one of, if not, the most popular haunt attraction, that is not going anywhere any time soon.

Edited by DorneyKid14

I absolutely hate it when everyone assumes that just because a rollercoaster was removed, a really awesome new one will be replacing it the next year. Did Kings Dominion replace Shockwave with a coaster? I didn't think so. Removing Stinger simply helps clean the lineup and give maintenance some more money to keep rides people actually go to up and running. Let's keep things realistic, and stop instantly assuming that they'll be getting a GCI because then otherwise y'all will be looking at a KD 2017 2.0 here.

I think in some cases it's entirely reasonable to get excited when parks open up large chunks of land, but it's really on a case-by-case basis. Personally I agree with you, I don't think Stinger is being removed to free up land for a new ride. They might end up replacing it with one, but my gut tells me that the motivating factors for Stinger's removal are it's apparent lack of popularity (even by Dorney standards), massive amounts of downtime that in some cases sent guests to the hospital and the fact that it's a maintenance nightmare in general. There's no reason for a park to deal with such a maintenance nightmare of a ride when it's not that popular when it opens anyway.

I'm sure they'll replace it with something eventually but I'm not holding my breath for an RMC raptor or GCI wood coaster.

This was closed the time I visited Dorney after it arrived, but it's no huge loss to me, especially as long as KI's Invertigo keeps hanging in there. Really though, it's/they're more in the "wouldn't mind riding again" category to me now; a step above Boomerangs, but not without some of the same shortcomings.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah no. The few problems though with the park building back there is

1) its a "flood" zone. so it would be hard to get anything approved, especially knowing the township.

And 2) there is a water main that runs back there, and the township said they will rip out anything and everything, including a coaster, to fix it.

Yeesh, that bites, and actually gives the whole "Dorney Park never gets anything new" thing some context. They can't really build anything major on the north end near Hydra and White Water Landing either, I'll bet. Those neighbors are really close to the park - not in their backyards. It's the unfortunate consequence of being a local park. You get lots of local business but with all of the local hurdles.

Dorney actually purchased a majority of the homes on the backside of the waterpark/thunder canyon area and they are currently used for employee housing. I believe the plot of land to the side of the train is for storm water and they currently use the balance of the open space up there for grave yard/maintenance. I could see this change over time but its not focal in the expansion efforts right now.

I was also told to get your last rides on the Speed Slides this year. A new slide complex, much like the Breakers Pipeline & Plunge at Valleyfair, could be on its way. Additionally, Lollipop Lagoon will be completely overhauled to Lakeslide Landing at Cedarpoint. Kids Cove will be impacted as they alter the pathway to Aquablast and increase the size of the lagoon. Could be some small "splash island" element in this area as well. Apparently one of these additions was in place as part of the water park upgrades for 2018 but pushed off.

I got a great source. More to come when made available!

Aren't those slides similar to the drop box slides at Snake Pit? Although that didn't stop them from adding the 2 Boa Blaster slides that are almost identical to the red and white slides at Patriot's Plunge. I won't miss the Speed Slides if they leave and usually only went to those slides once or twice a season.

If pathways are changed, I wonder if they will fix the entrance to Wildwater Rapids. It seems like a lot of people can't find the entrance to it since it is kind of hidden away and they are my go to slides when the water park is crowded since they rarely have more than a 10 minute wait.

Just saying, not sure if anyone agrees with me, but I'm 99% confident that Dorney will be getting Kanonen from Liseberg, not only due to the fact that it'd be dirt cheap and it'd fit nice and snugly in Stinger's spot, but because Cedar Fair just went on a ride salvaging tour of Europe, and I'm predicting that Liseberg knew this and sent them a heads up to come check out Kanonen incase they wanted it, which I'm predicting they did because it'd be quite the bang for their buck