TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

So, Stinger is leaving...

Please forgive me but I do not keep up with things like many others.... are there any other Cedar Fair parks removing coasters that we know of that would fit in Stinger's place?

Did we ever figure out where Knotts boomerang went?

I believe in the KBF thread . . . it was mentioned that Boomerang was being sent to the Netherlands to be refurbished.

Please forgive me but I do not keep up with things like many others.... are there any other Cedar Fair parks removing coasters that we know of that would fit in Stinger's place?

Oh that would just be cruel.

Even though we already have an Intamin launcher of sorts, Kanonen might actually be a good fit, since it has small trains and therefore low capacity it might actually get a bit of a line at a park like Dorney.

Oh, who am I kidding?

Seriously though, even though there isn't any evidence pointing to the fact that Dorney would get a new coaster, let's talk about this for a second.

Can anyone explain why are enthusiasts STILL on this whole GCI woodie thing for Dorney? What info is there to back that perpetual rumor up? Where did it even come from? I feel like people have been speculating that for ages and I've never seen a single shred of concrete evidence to back it up. Does it stem from when Cedar Fair was putting in stuff like Renegade @ Valleyfair and Prowler @ Worlds of Fun and everyone just figured Dorney - the other small, neglected CF park - was next to get a GCI?

I'm also seeing (mostly in the FB groups) so many people automatically assuming they would be getting a Railblazer/WW clone. Is that just because enthusiasts are that lazy and unimaginative that they would just associate CGA with Dorney since Stinger came from CGA and therefore we'll get the same coaster as them? Or is that enthusiasts assume that since CGA is getting a Raptor that Cedar Fair will ONLY be installing Raptors even though they're also installing two wood/steel hybrids and a first-of-its-kind Gerstlauer dive coaster this year, and that they've also still have been working with B&M (Valravn, Banshee, Gatekeeper, etc)?

I don't claim to know what the park is doing at all, I just find enthusiasts speculations about this park quite interesting as everyone and their mother has a theory and I don't recall having seen anything that actually could lead to legitimate rumors/speculation.

Also, I don't think they're really losing anything here as people only tend to come for the waterpark/Haunt anyway. I don't think really anyone will miss Stinger, because its hard to miss something that was never open to begin with.

As far as we know it went back to Vekoma in the Netherlands to be refurbished, as to weather Cedar Fair still owns it (I don't think Vekoma has any North American plants so if it has to be refurbed it has to go to Europe) or a park in Europe purchased is still unknown.

Unlike a lot of other parks which got the RMC Raptors, I think Dorney is a perfect fit since no one goes there for the coasters anyhow.

Also - I'd prefer something other than a coaster there. Shock! Horror! I know, right? But like how about a dark ride? Or a permanent haunted house? Or like anything out of the ordinary than a stock production model roller coaster? Whatever it is, it won't be as extreme as Skyrush nearby, and as such I can't picture really moving the needle much in that direction for hobbyists or for the people already attending the place.

Can anyone explain why are enthusiasts STILL on this whole GCI woodie thing for Dorney? What info is there to back that perpetual rumor up? Where did it even come from? I feel like people have been speculating that for ages and I've never seen a single shred of concrete evidence to back it up. Does it stem from when Cedar Fair was putting in stuff like Renegade @ Valleyfair and Prowler @ Worlds of Fun and everyone just figured Dorney - the other small, neglected CF park - was next to get a GCI?

10 years ago when Renegade was added, there was a rumor that Cedar Fair bought or had a deal for 3 GCI coasters and Dorney was going to get the 2nd one in 2008 until Cedar Fair decided to send Possessed to the park instead and then all the used rides started being added and that Dorney's planned GCI went to Worlds of Fun. I don't know how true any of that is though.

10 years ago when Renegade was added, there was a rumor that Cedar Fair bought or had a deal for 3 GCI coasters and Dorney was going to get the 2nd one in 2008 until Cedar Fair decided to send Possessed to the park instead and then all the used rides started being added and that Dorney's planned GCI went to Worlds of Fun. I don't know how true any of that is though.

Is this another "Over Georgia took St Louis' hyper" type of situation?

How much land does Dorney have past Stinger? I'm not sure I can see a large scale attraction (like a GCI) going there unless they have more land to work with.

On a side note, that land looks awfully similar to where ValleyFair is putting their Larson Loop...

The x out spots are what dorney does not own. From what I was told is that the parking lot/parking booths are getting redone.

I was told that a new coaster is going in where food fest is, which is in the top right corner in the screenshot. With dinos leaving, they could move grave walkers over back there, and use where grave walkers is now for stuff.

But with it being dorney, their capital plan a can change at any time.

Only time will tell.

20171216_135430.thumb.png.0e13f50ac34544c314de1e9bba3d4bb9.png

I can see a number of things for this situation, I thought this was fake at first, but apparently, it was true, so it took me by surprise too! I can't see them not reusing the station and queue if any sort of coaster is being developed, that station and queue is only five years old, so I don't see them just demolishing it, I can easily see a custom Raptor here, or maybe an infinity coaster mainly to fit the shape of the midway next door, then maybe take the coaster down to the site of the pavilions in that area? on a side note, that walk to the flyers is going to be really awkward in 2018...

I hope they open them next year and don't leave them SBNO. Even with Stinger open most times I went to the flyers, the ride operator was just waiting around for any riders to show up. Even though they run very slow and have a short cycle, I rarely skip them when I am at the park.

Thanks for that. I could never for the life of me figure out where that came from and why after years and years, enthusiasts have never given up on it. Now it makes perfect sense.

on a side note, that walk to the flyers is going to be really awkward in 2018...

Oh yeah, man, I see what you mean. That's a really long walk.

Those flyers at Dorney are absolutely terrible.

Well considering GCA put RailBlazer in the original spot of this exact same coaster, I’d put my money on a Raptor if it’s a coaster.

works.jpg.d5fa7a2b79f210abc965e9ec8e51f30b.jpg

Stinger is a surprisingly fun coaster, but I rarely saw it running. I think it was open for my past 2 visits but it was closed for the 3-4 before that.

Yep. I liked Two-Face at SFA and Invertigo at Kings Island. These coasters are fun (better than Vekoma's Boomerangs, that's for sure), but it's a pity they have so many technical issues.

Edited by cfc

Well, I got the Stinger credit at my visit in June, and it was fun. And it got me an Invertigo credit before riding any regular Boomerangs, which is kind of cool.

I had a feeling that White Water Landing would be removed first, since Hershey had thoughts about removing theirs and the ride type is apparently going out of style. Although, that probably made more sense when I thought about it to myself. They could probably use that piece of land stretching out into the service area for a moderate thrill ride.

With the closure of Stinger, I think the park needs to move the Cedar Creek Flyers to the little plot of concrete where the Chance Carousel used to be. Remove the pavilions/ Urgent Scare and Dino's Alive and put a GCI down there (also using the Grave Walkers land). Just for fun, I Photoshopped Prowler and Renegade into that area to see how something like this would look.

Prowler.thumb.jpg.8a5fd3e5b6bda89e45b4ec32456567aa.jpg

Prowler

Renegade.thumb.jpg.0948e3cc19293556eae714918904ade8.jpg

Renegade