TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Welp, there goes one of the only attributes in the plus column for this park.

Really? A holding brake?

I'll never understand why this park gets bashed on here so much. It's so much better than Valleyfair and MiA in the chain.

Gonna be headed to the park for the haunts on Sunday night after Hershey!! I can't wait! Any tips or advice on what not to miss out on?

Really? A holding brake?

Yes, Intamin Impulses are gimmicky to a fault, but they're awesome. And that nut-shattering holding break is the best gimmick and very few still operate that way.

I'll never understand why this park gets bashed on here so much. It's so much better than Valleyfair and MiA in the chain.

-Noise complaints prohibit the B&M roar on Talon and Hydra

-Knoebels is spitting distance away

-Hersheypark is spitting distance away

-Kennywood, while not exactly spitting distance, is still a day trip away.

-Since it's part of a chain, there's a lot to compare it to. Unfortunately Dorney drew the short end of the stick and gets compared to Cedar Point. CP is getting enthusiast nirvana while DP is getting...a restaurant in the waterpark.

But I'm still looking forward to my potential first trip to the park next year.

Really? A holding brake?

Yes. That holding brake was one of the best parts of one of the best rides in the park. Will it not working cause me to stop going to Dorney? Absolutely not. But I loved that holding brake.

Its a matter of monkey-see-monkey-do. Enthusiasts are notorious for it. My running theory is that its because enthusiasts are such f*cking nerds and generally have zero social skills whatsoever that they kind of go along with what other enthusiasts say/do. The evidence is there: just look at they way Six Flags is consistently bashed, even though you can usually find many of the same things people gripe about @ Six Flags parks happening at many other parks as well, but somehow its more of an issue if its at a Six Flags park. Hell, this forum has an entire thread dedicated to doing just that. A perfect example of this type of thing is the poster two posts above mine who has provided a superficial list of reasons why Dorney is bad, even though he has never even been there.

Personally, Dorney is fine, if you just take it for what it is. I don't pine to go there all the time, but I enjoy my visits. On paper, particularly from an enthusiast standpoint, the park seems like it sucks. But Dorney is very clean, very well landscaped, has a unique layout, has a great flat ride collection, a huge and solid waterpark, has a few really good (and a couple of great) coasters, a great Haunt event, and there is never a wait for the rides. Not to mention not one but two Chickies and Petes. Absolutely none of that is a bad thing.

You want the real reason the park gets bashed here? Simple: they haven't added an original coaster in 12 years. That's it, that's all.

Yeah, if the coasters were louder this would be a top 10 park for sure. Coaster loudness is always a major factor when determining how good a park is.

... lol wtf?

I mean really.

Its a matter of monkey-see-monkey-do. Enthusiasts are notorious for it. My running theory is that its because enthusiasts are such f*cking nerds and generally have zero social skills whatsoever that they kind of go along with what other enthusiasts say/do. The evidence is there: just look at they way Six Flags is consistently bashed, even though you can usually find many of the same things people gripe about @ Six Flags parks happening at many other parks as well, but somehow its more of an issue if its at a Six Flags park. Hell, this forum has an entire thread dedicated to doing just that. A perfect example of this type of thing is the poster two posts above mine who has provided a superficial list of reasons why Dorney is bad, even though he has never even been there.

Personally, Dorney is fine, if you just take it for what it is. I don't pine to go there all the time, but I enjoy my visits. On paper, particularly from an enthusiast standpoint, the park seems like it sucks. But Dorney is very clean, very well landscaped, has a unique layout, has a great flat ride collection, a huge and solid waterpark, has a few really good (and a couple of great) coasters, a great Haunt event, and there is never a wait for the rides. Not to mention not one but two Chickies and Petes. Absolutely none of that is a bad thing.

You want the real reason the park gets bashed here? Simple: they haven't added an original coaster in 12 years. That's it, that's all.

giphy.gif

I have been trying to look at the park as a water park with some other rides thrown in (even though the ride side is a full size park) and that's how most of my trips this year have been only visiting twice without Wildwater Kingdom open. I spend 75% of my time at the water park and water rides on the ride side and then take a quick lap around the park riding each coaster except Stinger and Woodstock Express once (or sometimes only a few coasters), a couple of flats and leave. Even with 11 trips this year, I am not up to double digit rode counts on most of the coasters.

On Friday, I was driving by the park and stopped in for an hour and 40 minutes which was enough time for 9 rides and dinner using the dining pass. If I had more time, I would have gone for some re-rides but felt like it wasn't that necessary. On the other hand, when visiting Hersheypark or Great Adventure, I rarely feel like I am ready to leave and want to stay even after a 6 - 8 hour trip to one of those parks.

Really? A holding brake?

Yes. That holding brake was one of the best parts of one of the best rides in the park. Will it not working cause me to stop going to Dorney? Absolutely not. But I loved that holding brake.

Yeah, if the coasters were louder this would be a top 10 park for sure. Coaster loudness is always a major factor when determining how good a park is.

... lol wtf?

I mean really.

Could not agree more! I actually really enjoy this park, shall I even dare to say I like it more than Busch Gardens....

It is all a matter of opinion and I think once a majority of the enthusiast community makes a decision everyone else kinda just follows in the same foot steps.

My home park is Six Flags America and its the same exact with this park. Every hates on it but its a decent park.

Any tips or advice on what not to miss out on?

I was a fan of Blood on the Bayou, Cornstalkers and Urgent Scare last year (which has been renamed so people don't get offended but is probably the same thing). Blackout, Trick or Treat and Chamber of Horrors are terrible. Tourist Trap is new and if it's anything like the maze it replaced it's probably very long and very good, I haven't been through it since the change though.

How are the lines generally for the haunts? I know the park never has lines for normal rides, but I've never been for Halloween. Thinking of hitting it next weekend if I head down that way for Knoebels like I'm thinking about.

The haunts can get lines but they're nothing like what some parks get. If you go on a Friday night you'll have the place to yourself. On a Saturday I wouldn't be shocked by an 45-60 minute line for Urgent Scare and Tourist Trap but if you want a break from the lines you can go ride Hydra which will be rolling half empty trains like it's an olympic sport.

Any tips or advice on what not to miss out on?

76b82be5b785a8a2d0ff07d63ae1e576.jpg

Even if you're not a fan of drop towers, Demon Drop is awesome. Don't let the size fool you.

Edit: oh, I misread and thought you haven't been here before. Still... Demon Drop is awesome

I'm totally biased, but after over 300 rides on Demon Drop, it's still my favorite drop tower. It's the only tower I've ridden that gives a true sensation of freefall. Just leave some room in your harness, the more the better!

(Not to mention the view from the top is incredible)

^ Oh the heartbreak. Only ride at Dorney that was down the whole day I was there.

Yeah, as far as Cedar Fair parks go, it's not that bad. I enjoyed my time there. The coasters were a bit lackluster, but several of the flats were good, especially the whip, and they've got one of the best log flumes anywhere. Could be a lot worse, really.

Dorney is a fine park that serves a good purpose; a nice change of pace from Great Adventure, with decent coasters that get no lines. The park gets bonus points from me for having a good Whip, a nice flume and Demon Drop. And there's a Waffle House approximately 10 minutes away.

I don't think the park gets "bashed", it's just lacking when compared to other parks in the region.

I've never even been to Dorney, and I have been to the other two parks (including regularly to MiA), and I'd have to agree with this statement!

The haunts can get lines but they're nothing like what some parks get. If you go on a Friday night you'll have the place to yourself. On a Saturday I wouldn't be shocked by an 45-60 minute line for Urgent Scare and Tourist Trap but if you want a break from the lines you can go ride Hydra which will be rolling half empty trains like it's an olympic sport.

Supposivly some of the haunts were pulling upward of 2 hour waits last weekend.

Dorney is a fine park that serves a good purpose.... there's a Waffle House approximately 10 minutes away.

:: shudders:: -- I'll stick to the Wawa...

They just put in a new wawa on Cedar Crest, literally within earshot of the park. If that one is too busy there's one on Hamilton Boulevard about 2 miles away.