TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

An old buddy I see once/twice a year just hit me up to invite me along for a company work day thing @ Dorney his company is doing at the end of the month. He invited me last year but I had other plans scheduled prior to the invite. I had absolutely no intentions of going to this park this year but free admission, lunch and beer and rides on Talon and Possessed with a good chance of short queues?

alrighty.gif.b7d70e49621a5e9e0948c274c95f8a96.gif

Thunderhawk may have never been trimmed

You're hurting my soul with this WHAT IF alternate timeline. Every single time we went over those trims a little bit of me died inside.

I just want to point out again because it's my job that if they were willing to remove the trims and re-track Thunderhawk a little every year people would talk about this ride in the same way they talk about Phoenix. In the front car without the trim (especially in 1:2) Thunderhawk launches riders out of their seats on the top of the first turnaround like they have a rockets up their a**es. The return run is capable of awesome airtime too but it's trimmed to death.

Indoor Iceberg/Cuddle ups are (well, were) a blast. Unlike modern tea cup rides, you didn't control the spin. The ride and your weight distribution did. That and the fact that each cup ran the entire floor circuit, going into each circle . When the car switched to a different cicle you had a directional change which spun you the other way, which could lead to some very intense forces. Very disconcerting. Each time you rode, it was a different experience. PTC Cuddle Ups are one ride I wish they would bring back. There are a few videos out there from old time parks if you want to see how odd they were. here's a link to one.

That video is really good. I love the effects and cool font choice. You can tell they really spent a lot of time on that. Great work team.

Listen man, that intern from Coastal Carolina's tourism program had to spend like 30 minutes reading animoto FAQs to get the video to this level.

That video is really good. I love the effects and cool font choice. You can tell they really spent a lot of time on that. Great work team.

Listen man, that intern from Coastal Carolina's tourism program had to spend like 30 minutes reading animoto FAQs to get the video to this level.

And before someone comments on how we're complaining about the video, we're not complaining. We're just complimenting them on that lovely Kaleidoscope filter. My only complaint is that they didn't put in like 800 more of them. So good.

The real complaining will begin when the announcement is some crap like new (horrendous) bumper cars in Hang Time's old spot (given their recent hints) while the park down the street has the greatest bumper cars in the entire world. I feel like they sent someone to Knoebels and said "Wow, people sure love these flyers and bumper cars. We need some of those." It's a solid plan only modern flyers and modern bumper cars absolutely suck and they forgot to factor in that little detail.

And before someone comments on how we're complaining about the video, we're not complaining. We're just complimenting them on that lovely Kaleidoscope filter. My only complaint is that they didn't put in like 800 more of them. So good.

Complaining? I'm rock hard after seeing that video. AUGUST 18TH. NEXT WEEK BAYBEE

I was at ValleyFair last week and it seems very similar to Dorney in some ways and different in others (as you would expect).

Riding Renegade at VF was a blast and is definitely their best and most popular coaster. They definitely don't have the B&Ms Dorney has, but it was neat to see what a nice GCI can do for a park. It was the one roller coaster that actually had lines and people wanting to go back on it again and again. Interestingly, park patrons seemed to tend more to the amusement park side of the park vs the water park side at VF.

I read back since my last post and I do hope they do something with Dinosaurs Alive. I remember last year when we were there, I asked one of the workers and they said it was a 4 year contract as well (ending this year) - so unless they renewed it (which I think they would only do to avoid having to actually do something to the land), I too am hoping for something that offers a little excitement.

I unfortunately don't see a new exciting coaster coming anytime too soon, Dorney just doesn't build up the thrill seekers for the investment. I personally do not enjoy the water park there, way too crowded and unless you have fast pass, you are typically waiting in lines for slides much longer than I can tolerate for a 10 second ride.

I don't know how it is at other waterparks, but Dorney's is small and just doesn't have the capacity to handle the large volume of guests that go to the park on hot summer days. It gets way too crowded. I hardly go to the WWK side anymore. I don't know what world you've been living in, but Dorney does get busy, even on the ride side at times. Last Sunday we drove past the park and both paved parking lots were full. For being a smaller park they sure do get the crowds. It's probably not as bad on the weekdays. Sometimes May weekends are busy with school music groups, and some Haunt weekends are busy as well. I would say the least busy times are Early June, early September, some weekdays in summer. So Valleyfair's waterpark doesn't get as busy as Dorney's, jd? You can't stand the crowds at WWK either? Why is it some days the park is using overflow parking but other days only half of the main lot is full? I would guess that most parents have off from work on the weekends, so more people from out of the area can go to the park on weekends, making it busier. I don't think there's one weekend in July and August that's not busy, unless there's thunderstorms or heavy rain and people leave. Dorney might be investing in the park next year. Sounds like they might be getting new rides next year. Plus there's the Haunt improvements this fall.

the new haunt hearse went up and i saw some things. the new attraction next to cornstalkers looks like it says blood at the top and if you compare worlds of fun's logo of blood on the bayou, it is the exact same layout even from the hook at the bottom of the logo. the new name for asylum is hard but i saw an A and a D at both ends of the word.

Ok, I figured out what one of them is going to be! Look at this, the hearse is out with this year's attractions on the back. www.pictaram.com/tag/DpHaunt Two of the attractions are blacked out with a red question mark, one of them is the former Desolation and the other is the former Asylum. Look at the outline of the top mystery logo and compare it with this It matches! The new maze where Desolation (and Club Blood before that) was is going to be a Blood on the Bayou! Well, the word Blood is returning, remember Blood Shed that got combined with Cornstalkers last year? Now, to figure out what Asylum is going to be called.

So Blood on the Bayou is on the level of a Mansion House Hotel or Trick or Treat? Very detailed rooms? I wonder though if it will be bigger than the building and extend out the back like Desolation was, or just the building like Club Blood was? They could build an outdoor "swamp" area behind the building under White Water Landing. Could they add on to the building in the back to make the indoor part bigger? Looks like both entrance and exit will be on the same side this time, like when it was Club Blood. What about Asylum and Mansion House Hotel, are they having major changes done? Asylum is becoming something else?