TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Inverts are far and away my favorite B&M coaster design, followed by Dive Machines. I prefer Talon to great bear because Talon just feels like a more complete ride. Great Bear started out great but definitely fizzles out towards the end with a lot of meandering. As mentioned before Talon is intense and re-ridable, which is a great combo. Having been on 7 Inverts including two of the best B&M has to offer (Alpie and Mountu), I can say there is no truly "bad" B&M invert.

Talon is way better than Great Bear. The layout of Talon compared to Great Bear is awesome. The thing is is the second half of Great Bear, everything just happens right away with all the inversions. Talon has a nice s curve and the drop is way better than Great Bear. I've been on both of them but out of all of them, Talon is the best.

Never understood the idea that amazing rides are somehow "not as good" because they're cloned. If El Toro was cloned like Batman is the world would be a better place.

I like Batmans a lot but they're my least favorite B&M. They're intense but a little on the short side and not very rerideable. I'd rank the inverts I've been on like this:

1. Raptor

-massive gap-

2. Banshee

3. Batmans

Raptor ended up exceeding any expectation I had. I was very apprehensive about riding it because I had a headache and when I have a headache I tend to avoid any coaster with any kind of constant applied g-forces and I'd heard that Raptor was incredibly intense. I had no clue it would be intense in the way it was. Very forceful but not in the positive g department. Very quick paced but with a large variety of elements.

To me, Talon looks like what Banshee should be but isn't. A less insanely paced invert with a unique layout. Sadly, Banshee ended up feeling like a very high g-force dosage with B&M vest restraints, which really sucked because the layout was cool and it really did have the potential to be awesome, but it felt very industrial to me.

^Having a negative of Batman that you can justify is totally fine by me (I disagree but I suppose crazy intense rides like Batman aren't everyone's cup of tea), but what I said was that I don't understand how someone can dislike a ride solely because it's been cloned. If a ride is good, it's good. There's nothing more to it.

^Having a negative of Batman that you can justify is totally fine by me (I disagree but I suppose crazy intense rides like Batman aren't everyone's cup of tea), but what I said was that I don't understand how someone can dislike a ride solely because it's been cloned. If a ride is good, it's good. There's nothing more to it.

I can sort of understand it. If you see a ride everywhere you probably will get sick of it at some point, sort of how some people get sick of rides at their home park from riding them too much. That being said if Cedar Point made RMC turn Mean Streak into an NTaG clone you wouldn't see me complaining at all

I can sort of understand it. If you see a ride everywhere you probably will get sick of it at some point, sort of how some people get sick of rides at their home park from riding them too much. That being said if Cedar Point made RMC turn Mean Streak into an NTaG clone you wouldn't see me complaining at all

You just... huh.

As I had said, if a ride is good, it's good. No matter how many clones exist. You backed me up on that saying you want an RMC clone. But then you said you get sick of a ride over an over... but not if it's a good ride. You don't like Batman clones because you don't like Batman itself, not because you're sick of good rides being cloned. For me, Batman is amazing and every park that doesn't have a custom invert should have a Batman clone. You would probably say the same about Texas Giant.

^ Every park of any significance should have a custom invert, but a Batman clone is pretty good too.

^^ I actually do like Batmans, in fact before I went on my recent road trip Batman clones were my #10 roller coaster. However since it's cloned so much it makes it a little harder to appreciate since it's not unique. Then again, I have 3 Batman clones within a 4 hour radius of me so maybe that's why

I do think some rides are better clones than others (I'd take a Batman over a stock Boomerang any day). One example of really good cloned rides would have to be the MegaLites. I think pretty much everyone who's been on one can agree that we need one in the US. That's a ride I don't mind being cloned at all

I can understand people want more unique experiences. 4 Batman clones near you is an awful lot. Even though I think my homw park (Great Adventure) should have two Batman clones. I'd be fine if they threw another one in Green Lantern's spot.

Does anyone know if you get in the waterpark early with a season pass, and at what time?

Nobody here cares about the waterpark so you might be better off calling the park. Or just going to the theme park and avoiding Hurricane Harbor like the plague...

Does anyone know if you get in the waterpark early with a season pass, and at what time?

Nobody here cares about the waterpark so you might be better off calling the park. Or just going to the theme park and avoiding Hurricane Harbor like the plague...

I was looking at the adverts for a season pass to Dorney last week, and one of the key selling points was indeed early water park entry. And um, Bill, I believe you mean Wildwater Kingdom.

It's posted on their site behind the Season Passholder firewall;

"Wildwater Kingdom will open early everyday so passholders can grab their spot in the sun. Enter the waterpark through the Iocker building 30 minutes prior to the scheduled waterpark opening for Passholders to get a seat and enjoy a wave pool daily."

I honestly don't know why they keep this info hidden... seems like it might actually sell a few extra passes if people knew about it?

Ok then, won't ask about the water park here again.

Also, I'm not sure if you meant avoid WWK like the plague or avoid the Six Flags waterparks like the plague.

It's posted on their site behind the Season Passholder firewall;
"Wildwater Kingdom will open early everyday so passholders can grab their spot in the sun. Enter the waterpark through the Iocker building 30 minutes prior to the scheduled waterpark opening for Passholders to get a seat and enjoy a wave pool daily."

I honestly don't know why they keep this info hidden... seems like it might actually sell a few extra passes if people knew about it?

Thanks for the info. Early wave pool access isn't that enticing to me. ERT on Talon is nice, but the line is never more than a one train wait on most days so there's no rush to get there early. I wonder why they don't advertise the early entrance for WWK. As you said, i'm sure at least a few people would enjoy the early wave pool.

I'll just chime in with the choir here to say the Batman clones are cloned because they're awesome and all parks should keep building them. The fact that there are multiple copies of the same great ride at different parks doesn't make the ride any less great. There's literally no logic behind that at all. I was stoked I got to ride Batman while down in Georgia. I've ridden it a ton at Great Adv but I was giddy to get to ride the same thing in a different setting. If/when I go to a park that has another BTR clone, I'll feel the same way. Simply because they are almost perfect.

I'll just chime in with the choir here to say the Batman clones are cloned because they're awesome and all parks should keep building them. The fact that there are multiple copies of the same great ride at different parks doesn't make the ride any less great. There's literally no logic behind that at all. I was stoked I got to ride Batman while down in Georgia. I've ridden it a ton at Great Adv but I was giddy to get to ride the same thing in a different setting. If/when I go to a park that has another BTR clone, I'll feel the same way. Simply because they are almost perfect.

QFT

If I ever win lotto a Batman Clone is more than likely going on a property I own.

I definitely agree that Talon is perfect for re-rides. I could handle around 3-5 consecutive rides on Batman, Alpengeist and Raptor. Great Bear is nice, but it's not quite forceful enough to keep you entertained despite the incredible location and (IMO) genius pacing and unique layout. Talon is very forceful, and there's a nice calm break in the middle to give you a breather.

Out of the 5 B&M inverts I've been on, I have noticed 3 main tiers the rides fall into.

Top Tier: ALPENGEIST, Raptor. (I'd imagine that Banshee, Montu, Nemesis, etc. would be here.)

Average Tier: Great Bear, Talon. (I'd imagine that Patriot, Dragon Challenge, Afterburn, etc. would be here.)

Lowest Tier (still awesome): Batman: The Ride, mainly because it's short and cloned so much. (I'd imagine that Silver Bullet would be in this category.)

I wasn't a huge fan of Alpengeist, honestly. It's actually my least favorite of the inverts I've been on. I'd probably go:

Montu

Raptor

Batman: The Ride

Talon

Great Bear

Alpengeist

I've been lucky to ride some good ones and really only Montu and Raptor stand out above the rest, but Talon is the one thing I miss about visiting Dorney frequently. It's really good.

I went to Dorney Park today. The park was dead. I went on all the coasters today.

image.thumb.jpeg.e4919f4cb07ac7342ed366e0442b3785.jpeg

Stinger's line today.

image.thumb.jpeg.300e0a694ef795d8730c7624a3083bf2.jpeg

Picture of how the park is dead.

image.thumb.jpeg.5c95e22d0ef0d4daef195ef309f27076.jpeg

Went on Possessed today, it was awesome like always.

image.thumb.jpeg.1543c1b49d5df60233c2bc6fe06b6a3b.jpeg

I honestly don't know why they would sell these today if there is no line for anything.

The park being dead? What a surprise.

I agree, Possessed is the best coaster in the park outside of back left Talon (BLT?)

Also, why do they even sell normal fast pass? The only line you'd get through is WM because it's a slow line.

Another question: Why do they sell Advil, Tylenol, and Dramanine in the photo booth for Talon? It's the smoothest ride there.

I agree, Possessed is the best coaster in the park outside of back left Talon (BLT?)

Also, why do they even sell normal fast pass? The only line you'd get through is WM because it's a slow line.

Another question: Why do they sell Advil, Tylenol, and Dramanine in the photo booth for Talon? It's the smoothest ride there.

Yes I know it's no surprise DP is my home park. I can ride the coasters and stuff all day without waiting in long lines.

Arguably the most popular ride in the park = more people around = more sales

Talon is not the most popular ride in the park, pretty sure the GP chose Steel Force over Talon for most popular. If you want to make sales, then go sell it next to Stinger.

Talon is not the most popular ride in the park, pretty sure the GP chose Steel Force over Talon for most popular. If you want to make sales, then go sell it next to Stinger.

It's also located right next to the front gate, which literally everyone walks through.