TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Knowing how their nearby competitors outclass (demolish) Dorney, is there anything that they can do to beat out the local, superior parks?

I'm coming up with nothing.

They're just in a tough spot because of the competition. They're pretty much the Six Flags America of Cedar Fair.

Michigans Adventure says hi

Michigan's Adventure is in a crazy small market compared to Dorney and SFA. I'd say the park is treated appropriately as far as new additions are corncerned because it'd be near impossible for them to get good ROI from a huge marquee roller coaster. SFA and Dorney are victims of the insane competition.

Dude, do you even internet? How many times does this statement have to be completely destroyed before it goes away.

I said small in relation to Dorney and Six Flags America. Dorney is within driving distance of Philadelphia and metro New York. SFA is close to Philly, Washington, and Baltimore. Which is why I thought Dorney was the more apt comparison.

Knowing how their nearby competitors outclass (demolish) Dorney, is there anything that they can do to beat out the local, superior parks?

I'm coming up with nothing.

They're just in a tough spot because of the competition. They're pretty much the Six Flags America of Cedar Fair.

Michigans Adventure says hi

Michigan's Adventure is in a crazy small market compared to Dorney and SFA. I'd say the park is treated appropriately as far as new additions are corncerned because it'd be near impossible for them to get good ROI from a huge marquee roller coaster. SFA and Dorney are victims of the insane competition.

Dude, do you even internet? How many times does this statement have to be completely destroyed before it goes away.

I said small in relation to Dorney and Six Flags America. Dorney is within driving distance of Philadelphia and metro New York. SFA is close to Philly, Washington, and Baltimore. Which is why I thought Dorney was the more apt comparison.

You are correct, that it is quite small in comparison to Dorney and SFA's markets. I bolded the portion of your comment that I, and likely PhantomPoster32, was responding to. It's an oft-repeated thing in enthusiast circles (particularly on a rival site that shall not be named), which is patently, flat out wrong, and yet is taken as gospel by many. I could cite example after example, but this is the Dorney thread, and now we're getting WAY off topic! But you are correct, if you were referring only to market size. Just know MiA's market isn't as small as most people assume, since it includes Grand Rapids, which is actually a very large city, and is the second largest in the state (and growing!)

I stopped in for an hour between my two shifts yesterday, no lines, as expected.

I currently have a cast on my hand so no B&M's for me though (Seems B&M has a blanket ban on all casts on all their rides, which is no fun)

walked on to: Steel Force, car 1, row 2

Demon Drop

Stinger

Cedar Creek Flyers (Because you can actually get 1 or 2 bounces in before the criminally short cycle ends your fun)

There were rumors going around saying that Dorney might be getting the Flight of Fear rollercoaster from Kings Dominion to replace Dino's Alive. Has anyone heard anything about that?

It would be awesome if it were true, but I highly doubt it.

You are correct, that it is quite small in comparison to Dorney and SFA's markets. I bolded the portion of your comment that I, and likely PhantomPoster32, was responding to. It's an oft-repeated thing in enthusiast circles (particularly on a rival site that shall not be named), which is patently, flat out wrong, and yet is taken as gospel by many. I could cite example after example, but this is the Dorney thread, and now we're getting WAY off topic! But you are correct, if you were referring only to market size. Just know MiA's market isn't as small as most people assume, since it includes Grand Rapids, which is actually a very large city, and is the second largest in the state (and growing!)

Just for arguments sake - going by census results on Wikipedia the combined population in the metro areas of NYC and Philly is 10,110,702 people. That's not including Allentown, the biggest city near Dorney. Grand Rapids metro population is 1,005,648. Adding on other sizable cities nearby doesn't really add anything substantial much to that number.

Just for arguments sake - going by census results on Wikipedia the combined population in the metro areas of NYC and Philly is 10,110,702 people. That's not including Allentown, the biggest city near Dorney. Grand Rapids metro population is 1,005,648. Adding on other sizable cities nearby doesn't really add anything substantial much to that number.

Woah... Nowhere did I say MiA's market was on par with Dorney's! In fact, my specific words were "it is quite small in comparison." What I did say, is that people frequently make comments about MiA having a small market, and that really isn't true, especially in comparison to other small parks that still get large capital investments once in a while. I don't think most people outside of Michigan realize that GR is so large, and when you factor in Kalamazoo, Muskegon, and the epic tourist attraction that is the entire Lake Michigan shoreline, you realize the park actually has a huge market - and that's not even taking into account the fact that for a decent city like Lansing, it's still only a couple of hours away. But no, I was not at all saying their market is as large as Dorney's!

There were rumors going around saying that Dorney might be getting the Flight of Fear rollercoaster from Kings Dominion to replace Dino's Alive. Has anyone heard anything about that?

That's another roller coaster leaving Kings Dominion. Is the KD thread aware of this rumor? If it gets replaced with anything other than another roller coaster that thread will become hell.

That's the first time I've heard that rumor. It sounds unlikely to me, but if it were true then that would be a good fit at this park. Personally, I want something with good airtime, but I'd take FoF any day over the other coasters that are rumored to be removed/relocated for the 2017 season in the CF chain (looking at you, Time Warp).

That's strange. I hadn't heard anything about that. I can't imagine why... most likely because it's unimaginable bull*** and you just now made it up but who knows? lol

Edit: Oh, there are rumors "going around" because you posted the rumor in another thread... got it.

To start, please don't be rude, but I'd love to respectfully hear your opinions on this idea. Send Flight of Fear to World's of Fun to become their new 2017 or even 2018 addition. Use that Flight of Fear space for an Alien themed launched wing coaster for 2018. It could have a Furious Baco style pre show room before launching out of the building. It would be an out and back style wing coaster headed towards Dominator. Also, there was lime green track spotted outside the B&M Ohio plant, which would support this idea. Let me respectfully hear your ideas below

That's strange. I hadn't heard anything about that. I can't imagine why... most likely because it's unimaginable bull*** and you just now made it up but who knows? lol

Edit: Oh, there are rumors "going around" because you posted the rumor in another thread... got it.

To start, please don't be rude, but I'd love to respectfully hear your opinions on this idea. Send Flight of Fear to World's of Fun to become their new 2017 or even 2018 addition. Use that Flight of Fear space for an Alien themed launched wing coaster for 2018. It could have a Furious Baco style pre show room before launching out of the building. It would be an out and back style wing coaster headed towards Dominator. Also, there was lime green track spotted outside the B&M Ohio plant, which would support this idea. Let me respectfully hear your ideas below

The Dorney rumor was listed on other sites (will post link once I find it). And the idea of Kings Dominion getting the B&M wing was never said to be a rumor, it was an idea I had. If you read my statements, I listed a rumor that was in an article on Dorney's page, then on Kings Dominions page, I listed an idea I had (it even said idea). These are 2 totally separate things: an idea and a rumor, and it very clearly stated which was which. I also don't appreciate you bashing me on this forum, if you would like to bring something up with me, please message me. And for anyone else that wants to comment, please note that Dorney's is a rumors. WoF/KD is an idea.

I know I said it would be a good fit at Dorney, but I can't see how this would be a good idea from KD's standpoint. Why would they remove an attraction that isn't old/unliked when they have the land to build it elsewhere? I know you said that you had a link and I'll look at it when you find it, but until then this idea seems almost as unlikely as the dream I had the other night where they tried to RMC Stinger.

Oh, I see, they're going to tear apart Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion, split up the scraps into two parts so it can go to Dorney AND Worlds of Fun! EXPOSED!!!!!

Actually, let's split it up into three parts and have Michigan's Adventure in the mix, too!

Why stop there? Let's split it into five parts!

• - Valleyfair gets one train, the station (minus the building), and the launch section
    - Worlds of Fun gets the first half of the ride (the cobra roll up to the MCBR) along with the second train
    - Dorney gets three cars from the third train and the second half of the ride (MCBR to actual break run)
    - California's Great America gets the entire building (no track) and the final two cars from the third train
    - Michigan's Adventure gets a prop from the queue or something to hint at a ride that's never coming

The passholder early entry stuff is behind a passholder login page. I've copied the text below for your benefit.

Season Passholders will be allowed to enter the park 30 minutes prior to park open every Friday-Sunday through Labor Day. In addition to early entry, Passholders will receive ERT (extra ride time) on the Antique Carrousel, Wave Swinger and Talon.

Wildwater Kingdom will open early everyday so passholders can grab their spot in the sun. Enter the waterpark through the l*cker building 30 minutes prior to the scheduled waterpark opening for Passholders to get a seat and enjoy a wave pool daily.

I've noticed them sometimes opening other rides early as well, so just keep your eyes open when you get there.

The Dorney rumor was listed on other sites (will post link once I find it). And the idea of Kings Dominion getting the B&M wing was never said to be a rumor, it was an idea I had. If you read my statements, I listed a rumor that was in an article on Dorney's page, then on Kings Dominions page, I listed an idea I had (it even said idea). These are 2 totally separate things: an idea and a rumor, and it very clearly stated which was which. I also don't appreciate you bashing me on this forum, if you would like to bring something up with me, please message me. And for anyone else that wants to comment, please note that Dorney's is a rumors. WoF/KD is an idea.

Bill isn't bashing you, he's calling it as he sees it. Think about it from his/our perspective - you joined the forum a month ago, have 15 posts and are posting an awful lot of ideas & rumors you have no source or any reason why any of these could possibly be worthy of reasonable speculation.

This is a great forum, lots of fun, and has some great posters, but I think most of us take it seriously to a degree so we're all quick to call out bullsh*t, especially Bill. And I say that with love.

Bill isn't bashing you, he's calling it as he sees it. Think about it from his/our perspective - you joined the forum a month ago, have 15 posts and are posting an awful lot of ideas & rumors you have no source or any reason why any of these could possibly be worthy of reasonable speculation.

This is a great forum, lots of fun, and has some great posters, but I think most of us take it seriously to a degree so we're all quick to call out bullsh*t, especially Bill. And I say that with love.

No need to explain it to him though. He's not here... he's busy looking for that absolutely legitimate source where he totally saw that rumor so he can share it with us.

Oh, I see, they're going to tear apart Flight of Fear at Kings Dominion, split up the scraps into two parts so it can go to Dorney AND Worlds of Fun! EXPOSED!!!!!

Actually, let's split it up into three parts and have Michigan's Adventure in the mix, too!

Leave WOF out of this. I imagine it will be just the Huss rides and maybe the KBF used Tornado slide

Okay so this will probably be the most in-depth Dorney PTR in a long time. (But what the hell it was a fun day.)

We arrived at the park around 2 o'clock and made our way down to the back end of the park starting with Talon. Overall it was a great day weather wise and of course no lines! Here are some major keys throughout the day:

- Talon is really such a solid, fun ride. Great layout with some forces, but not too much to keep you from riding a few times.

- I still don't get all the Hydra bashing after riding today, but there were a few rattly sections.

- Thunderhawk looks great with the new paint and new trains but it is still painful as hell.

- Possesed is still awesome.

- Stinger went down to nobody's surprise

- For all the sh*t we give Steel Force, it was the surprise coaster of the day today. Rode in the twice front and was catching some nice sustained air. I even cracked a smile and chuckled.

-Log Flume and Whip are A1.

- Demon Drop gets me every time. One of the only rides that still gives me the Hebee Jeebies. I was screaming at the top before the drop.

image.thumb.jpeg.c80a416d01a0f8c662dbac3168492275.jpeg

Talon from the highway.

image.thumb.jpeg.eafe93dd977b00dcd204aa86faa96d7e.jpeg

Standard Dorny shot.

image.thumb.jpeg.8ab544ab647109045337904fb4cfbf46.jpeg

First up was Talon

image.thumb.jpeg.a19a641bc68f1112f4c2893c6a7d69cc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c4a0687e2a4f58037a13eb18094ce587.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d529edc23198e16a1b7619883fa0e574.jpeg

Fun Whip. Or should I say Cool Whip. *Throws computer out window*

image.thumb.jpeg.39ae17beffffa09d6ffce1adc589a883.jpeg

World's tallest, fastest and longest Mine Train.

image.thumb.jpeg.1a4974a9e0ec018699d7b567241e598c.jpeg

Standard, "oh that was supposed to be Mantis logo" fact.

image.thumb.jpeg.ac6fa02e065e764b88fc813f32b97439.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f1f6ec9bd169cff7ee798f5a441280e7.jpeg

Thunderhawk looks great with the paint and thats about all that changed

image.thumb.jpeg.f5b22034d56c5740abd1250d627d1670.jpeg

New Swag.

image.thumb.jpeg.285275492bf6e2ee1d4426efb559efd1.jpeg

New Swag II

image.thumb.jpeg.10f5d60ee23bf116c0cf52db170def14.jpeg

New Swag III

image.thumb.jpeg.c4b751847ae6f94a65c114c6981c8385.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e28805de83dc3f823b543ae22c23f823.jpeg

Stinger being a broke a$$ b*itch

image.thumb.jpeg.ea0b9ea5cb41f1460dcf166a8af68411.jpeg

They're reaching the point where you see Jesus.

image.thumb.jpeg.4b615e963d7e08c9e92bd60dd6d07df0.jpeg

Still one of the best flumes. Prefer it over Gadv or Hershey's.

image.thumb.jpeg.3273e16ab1ec32ac0dbc0ab33cc1bdf8.jpeg

This ride feels like one continous motion.

image.thumb.jpeg.be93d37d943a8277ad9821fe58f5d3f4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bf8b3cd1d386a251ffe0e4ca74234917.jpeg

I'll leave you all with some Possesed signage.