TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

That "line" has been like that since I got in at two. And people were actually turning around and leaving because they didn't want to wait in that "line"

That's a special kind of spoiled. I guess ten minutes for the best coaster in the park is entirely unacceptable at Dorney.

That can hardly be considered a line. Try waiting for one of the VR coasters at a Six Flags park, or go to CP on Memorial Day weekend, or go to Disney any time at all and you'll see a line. That's not a line. Lol

That can hardly be considered a line. Try waiting for one of the VR coasters at a Six Flags park, or go to CP on Memorial Day weekend, or go to Disney any time at all and you'll see a line. That's not a line. Lol

1) don't care for six flags, plus I'll never go on a ride that as the VR.

2) been to Disney, I don't meet the characters so I don't have to worry about lines

3) would never go to cp memorial day weekend because I'll be working.

Anyone that goes to CP on Memorial Day weekend or Disney are expecting lines, I've never been to Dorney, but if the lines are as non existent as they claim, a 10 min wait for regulars would probably be like a 3 hour wait to most people.

Yeah, a lot of the people I see look at the staircase of less than 100 people in front of them and think "Oh, this looks like such a long line!"

Dorney typically has groupers at the top of the steps so the stations never get crowded - so if the line in that photo is just down the steps and through that first switchback its literally a 10 minute or less wait. Talon seats 32 people, so even if there is 100 people down the steps and through the first switchback thats a 3-5 train wait, tops. If they can't crank through that in less than 10 minutes then wow operations must be abysmal this year.

Anyone that goes to CP on Memorial Day weekend or Disney are expecting lines, I've never been to Dorney, but if the lines are as non existent as they claim, a 10 min wait for regulars would probably be like a 3 hour wait to most people.

For me it's more like "I've ridden this 100 times already, this isn't worth it if I can't literally walk directly onto the train and sit down"

Or I'm heading in for an hour before work to ride anything I can walk straight on to.

^ there is an element of this. Plus operations were very slow compared to other parks. Maybe there isn't the same amount of pressure to keep the line moving as quickly as possible because of the line is only 10 minutes wait.

Operations really aren't Dorney's strong suit this year. They weren't /terrible/ last year, so I'm really not sure what changed for this season. Steel Force is almost always stacking 2 trains for an unreasonable amount of time, I don't understand how, it's one of the longest coasters on the east coast! The B&M's are being stacked pretty badly, Possessed is running 5+ minute dispatches.

Ops team needs to get their shit together this year, honestly.

Operations really aren't Dorney's strong suit this year. They weren't /terrible/ last year, so I'm really not sure what changed for this season. Steel Force is almost always stacking 2 trains for an unreasonable amount of time, I don't understand how, it's one of the longest coasters on the east coast! The B&M's are being stacked pretty badly, Possessed is running 5+ minute dispatches.

Ops team needs to get their poo-poo together this year, honestly.

I agree. When I was there a week ago, the operators were taking FOREVER on Steel Force, Hydra, Talon, and were even a bit slow on Thunderhawk, but Possessed was dispatching fairly quickly. It was also like this when I went in May. I guess they need to build up lines somehow, right?

^This is how I feel about Goliath at SFMM! There is no way Steel Force could be more worthless than that massive disappointment!

I agree that Goliath is ridiculously forceless but trust me... Steel Force has it beat. At least Goliath has a decent helix which is one more interesting element than Steel Force will ever have.

Serious question: Is there any coaster at Dorney worth being excited about? I've always wanted to go, but it sounds pretty underwhelming from what I'm reading in this thread!

A nice RMC coaster would really bring people to the park... and they are long overdue for a new coaster... Wishful thinking - I know...

I think they're in a really tough spot for competing as a coaster destination. Most people near Dorney are also near Hershey and/or Great Adventure.

The smart business move probably is to treat Dorney as a mid-sized park that has a couple of higher-end coasters.

But I'd be elated if they built an RMC.

My opinion is that DP is an ok park for what it is. Not great but ok - I'd go if I live locally or If I have Gold/Plat season pass. Looked like more people were there for water ride side (This might have because of the weather). The nearby HP and Knoebels aren't all that big on coasters anyway. (My HP experience was the worst to date) Even SFGAdv isn't all that great if you take away Kingda Ka and El Toro.

I think they're in a really tough spot for competing as a coaster destination. Most people near Dorney are also near Hershey and/or Great Adventure.

The smart business move probably is to treat Dorney as a mid-sized park that has a couple of higher-end coasters.

But I'd be elated if they built an RMC.

Agreed. They're "treating" Dorney exactly the way they should be "treating" Dorney. They're focusing on the water park and occasionally adding some cheap flat ride or relocated coaster. People get mad when I say that but the business model makes perfect sense to me.

Agreed. They're "treating" Dorney exactly the way they should be "treating" Dorney. They're focusing on the water park and occasionally adding some cheap flat ride or relocated coaster. People get mad when I say that but the business model makes perfect sense to me.

Most of my friends in Philly usually go to Dorney for the water park. I always prefer the park side, since I love roller coasters. But after a while, it gets old after a while with a small coaster lineup. I hope management is planning something in the future. Maybe they can put a Maverick style coaster where Dinosaurs Alive is located.