TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

If and when a new, custom coaster is built at Dorney (I know, unlikely) , where do you guys think it will be? I know Dorney is landlocked a bit, which is why I'm asking the question. A remodel of the front gate is a possibility due to CF's frontgate additions at a number of their parks, but with Talon and the waterpark there I don't know how hot they are on that idea.

Also, do you guys feel that the right coaster with proper marketing will significantly boost attendance and lines in the dry park? I know that Dorney is a blackhole of lines, but they haven't received a big new coaster that could seriously compete with GAdv and Hershey since Talon (and that might be a stretch...Steel Force was probably their biggest horse in those races). So, would a coaster the magnitude of Valravn or Fury 325 do the trick? I heard there is a height limit for the park so maybe not a ride of their size, but SOMETHING that will create serious buzz.

If it were to happen, I could see them removing the antique cars and putting something there, especially if they relocate Revolution to Hang Time's old pad.

That's not a bad idea actually. They'd have to do some building over the midway that runs by Possessed, but if they re purposed the land that's currently taken by Dino's Alive something reasonably long could be built there.

At that location this theoretical coaster could have some neat interaction with Steel Force and Thunderhawk as well.

Even if you don't remove Dinosaurs Alive, I think you could still make it work if you relocate Revolution. Here's what I was thinking. Granted it's skinny, but you could always have higher turns extend over the creek. I also included Talon in the shot in order to illustrate size, and how you can still get a good coaster in a tighter spot.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c36b3bb4ec8ebfc4f21752ad6299e66a.jpg

Shaded section = potential spot

Eat as much crab fries as possible right before Hydra.

Fixed that for ya!

And yeah, if there were going to get a new coaster, my guess would be a GCI woodie like gold striker and prowler that replaces dinosaurs alive.

Or if they get the height limit removed I would be totally down for a dive coaster (as the nearest one is BGW and is a pretty far drive from that area). The dive coaster could also be just under 200 ft which wouldnt require a change in the height limit but I think it would be cool if they built a new tallest coaster in the park. Or maybe they could go all out with an all new original ride called Fury 326! (exact clone of Fury 325 with 1 ft added on to all the elements )

A friend from the park that I worked with over the summer and myself were speculating a while back. We figure if Dorney moves the front gate from where it is now down to where the Ferris Wheel is (and removes the Carousel Grove picnic area) we could get a lovely front gate coaster that follows the contours of the park. Considering the whole place is built on a reasonably steep hill.

It'd be interesting to get a coaster with a ~150ft lift, where the drop follows the terrain, leading to a 200ft+ drop.

Maybe I am looking at a different map but it looks like the water park rubs right up against Talon. I don't think they are going to put anything there b/c the water park is their most popular attraction. I feel like the best bet would be that Dino Alive spot or they could re-locate the catering space and put something there. When ever Dorney Park does add a coaster they will not be moving mountains or entrances to do it, lol. CF doesn't care enough about this park to make an crazy investment to add another coaster.

I have been for the part two years both times with non-coaster people and there very pleased with their coaster/thrill ride line up. For a small regional park they have a Hyper, 2 B&M, and some solid B-level coasters. If they were getting a new coaster what should be added?

A friend from the park that I worked with over the summer and myself were speculating a while back. We figure if Dorney moves the front gate from where it is now down to where the Ferris Wheel is (and removes the Carousel Grove picnic area) we could get a lovely front gate coaster that follows the contours of the park. Considering the whole place is built on a reasonably steep hill.

It'd be interesting to get a coaster with a ~150ft lift, where the drop follows the terrain, leading to a 200ft+ drop.

The only problem with removing the grove (unless they were able to relocate it) is that whenever camps or schools go on trips to the park that is where they meet up and keep there stuff. But I always thought about how cool it would be if they did that. It just seems like too much work for Dorney (Although I'm no expert on the topic so who knows how easy it could be for them to move the pavilions). It would be a good way to get a 200ft+ drop though with the height limit.

Maybe I am looking at a different map but it looks like the water park rubs right up against Talon. I don't think they are going to put anything there b/c the water park is their most popular attraction.

He said that he photshopped the picture to show how much room Talon takes up to show it is possible to fit a coaster in that area.

If they were getting a new coaster what should be added?

They could use a lot of things, but they need a good woodie. Everyone keeps bringing up this baseless GCI rumor that seems will never die and I've over here praying they put in a Balder clone (a pipe dream but a really good pipe dream).

Maybe I am looking at a different map but it looks like the water park rubs right up against Talon. I don't think they are going to put anything there b/c the water park is their most popular attraction.

He said that he photshopped the picture to show how much room Talon takes up to show it is possible to fit a coaster in that area.

+1 reading comprehension points

I'd like a good GCI, too, but I'd bet they'd receive a smaller coaster like a Premier Sky Loop.

I first heard the rumor in late 2006/early 2007 after Renagade was announced. People thought that Dorney would be next to get a GCI and then they ended up getting Possessed instead.

Yeah I think that the rumor was that we were going to get the GCI in 2008 but it was given to WOF instead.

How are Prowler and Renegade holding up? Has Cedar Fair been maintaining them well? I know for awhile a lot of people were complaining about Renegade but I also don't usually trust enthusiasts because they complain about every coaster ever built being rough.

How are Prowler and Renegade holding up? Has Cedar Fair been maintaining them well? I know for awhile a lot of people were complaining about Renegade but I also don't usually trust enthusiasts because they complain about every coaster ever built being rough.

I wouldn't try to go to Valleyfair to ride Renegade because an enthusiast told me the sidewalk has a rattle.

Renegade was running fairly rough in 2013, but they've retracked parts of it over the past two offseasons that made it much better.

I think a GCI woodie would be a great fit for Dorney, but they would need to maintain it well to prevent it from becoming rough after a few seasons.

LOL. After I found out that Dorney Park was receiving ONLY new trains for Thunderhawk in 2016, I knew this was my opportunity to do a theme park confession video. If you want to see Dorney Park reaction about getting new trains . . . well . . . here you go!

hey now, lets not forget about carowind and their 50 million dollar expansion and kings island waterpark upgrade and new toll plaza!!