TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Nice to hear that Dorney got some crowds. Were any lines over an hour?

Not sure about Sunday but on Sat, probably not. Steel Force was consistently one of the longest lines, 15min in the afternoon and maybe close to 30 around 10pm. Only a couple maze haunts approached 1hr waits (Cornstalkers & Asylum seemed the worst).

I don't like to hear stories of long lines @ Dorney!

Heading up with the crew this Saturday night but looks like its gonna be COLD! I know it can change but seeing that it should be 39* by midnight. Brrrrrr! I told everyone I'm going with "plan on layering!" Hoping that keeps some folks away. We're not big on trails but we did Haunt @ Dorney last year and the park itself was busy but most coasters had little-to-no wait. *crosses fingers*

Heading up with the crew this Saturday night but looks like its gonna be COLD! I know it can change but seeing that it should be 39* by midnight. Brrrrrr! I told everyone I'm going with "plan on layering!" Hoping that keeps some folks away. We're not big on trails but we did Haunt @ Dorney last year and the park itself was busy but most coasters had little-to-no wait. *crosses fingers*

You'll see low crowds next weekend. Coasters will have no waits more than likely. Columbus day weekend is always the busiest for the park during haunt. Stop by three point challenge and say hi to me when you're at the park!

You'll see low crowds next weekend. Coasters will have no waits more than likely. Columbus day weekend is always the busiest for the park during haunt. Stop by three point challenge and say hi to me when you're at the park!

and stop by Demon Drop/Tilt-a-whirl/Musik Express and say hi to me as well!

^ I will definitely be over at Demon Drop! That thing is bonkers. My other half hasn't ridden one of those since Stuntmans' Freefall @ Great Adv waaaaaay back in the day, so I'm excited to get her on DD. If you guys see me say hi. As long as the weather doesn't change to rain, we'll be there!

That's really a shame to hear because its easily the most intense few seconds of ride in the entire park. We'll be by to check it out and see if its running, for sure. I'm also a big fan of Dominator too so as long as one of them are open. Hoping to get up there before Haunt starts, probably around 4/5pm. Music Express I won't ride (too much spinning) and Tilt A Whirl is really only if the other half wants to ride.

Hey so I saw the 39 degree forecast and Ima let you finish but any chance Thunder Creek Mountain will be open Saturday? This is a completely serious question.

We're still debating between SFNE and Dorney on Saturday. With low temps and short staffing potentially closing 2 of the best rides at Dorney we might have to bite the bullet and head up to SFNE but I'm looking for any excuse to go to another park instead. Lol

Hey so I saw the 39 degree forecast and Ima let you finish but any chance Thunder Creek Mountain will be open Saturday? This is a completely serious question.

We're still debating between SFNE and Dorney on Saturday. With low temps and short staffing potentially closing 2 of the best rides at Dorney we might have to bite the bullet and head up to SFNE but I'm looking for any excuse to go to another park instead. Lol

Thunder Creek Mountain is closed for the season. Same with White Water Landing and Thunder Canyon.

Lol understandable but it was worth asking. I'd never be caught dead riding those other 2 anyway without a bathing suit but I'm still a big White Water Landing fan since I'm a bit of an a**hole and whoever positioned the purple water gun is clearly a bit of an a**hole too so we have way too much fun with that thing.

They turn the WWL area into a maze don't they?

Lol understandable but it was worth asking. I'd never be caught dead riding those other 2 anyway without a bathing suit but I'm still a big White Water Landing fan since I'm a bit of an a**hole and whoever positioned the purple water gun is clearly a bit of an a**hole too so we have way too much fun with that thing.

They turn the WWL area into a maze don't they?

Yeah, under the tower. It's called Desolation.

I used to enjoy White Water Landing but they installed trim brakes on it this season. The splash used to reach the midway, and if the breeze was right, you'd get misted on the Waveswinger. Now if the breeze is right, it /just/ hits the midway.

Thunder Creek Mountain is closed for the season. Same with White Water Landing and Thunder Canyon.

I'm not saying you are wrong because obviously you work there and all but according to the website Thunder Creek Mountain's status is "Fall Operating Hours: Saturdays & Sundays during daytime operation only. Weather permitting. "

I know it was open during the day when we were there for Haunt last year but that was earlier in the season, in late September. Speaking of which, did Dorney shorten their Haunt this year by a couple of weeks? We went the last weekend in September last year but according to their operating calender Haunt is only 3 weekends this year?

I'm not saying you are wrong because obviously you work there and all but according to the website Thunder Creek Mountain's status is "Fall Operating Hours: Saturdays & Sundays during daytime operation only. Weather permitting. "

I know it was open during the day when we were there for Haunt last year but that was earlier in the season, in late September. Speaking of which, did Dorney shorten their Haunt this year by a couple of weeks? We went the last weekend in September last year but according to their operating calender Haunt is only 3 weekends this year?

It was closed the first week of October this season, I'd be impressed if the ops team tells us to open it, consider all the boats are in the storage area, in various stages of disassembly, the lift belts are removed, and the lower and upper flumes have been drained and winterized.

I'm not sure about haunt being shortened though, if the operating calendar says it's shorter this season, then it probably is. I know our operations day is November 1st. I don't recall when haunt started though.

^

I remember being shocked that TCM was open last year, the night we were there was fairly chilly. But its understandable that its already down for the year. Looks like no flume for you, Billy.

^

Looks like no flume for you, Billy.

Pfft that's okay, the next weekend we're going to Tampa for a wedding so I'll be getting my Stanley Falls swag on. I won't be denied my Log Flume rides just because of some trivial bullsh*t like the fact that it's October and water freezes at 32 degrees.

Haha! Totally jealous, sounds like we might finally get to Tampa in March. BGT is like unreasonably high on my park bucketlist. Just have to convince the other half to take her Mom up on an offer to stay @ her place in Sarasota for a long weekend.

Any recommendations from employees/regulars on the better/best Haunt trails this year? As I said we'll mostly stick to the coasters & flats (and inevitably the scare zones), but we might have the itch to pop into a trail.

(Sorry for the double post)

In my opinion, the best trails were Desolation and Cornstalkers. I think this is a rather popular opinion because the lines for these were nearly twice as long as the rest of the trails. The Wax Museum is really good as well if your into weirder style trails.

All of them are good, some are better than others. I thought that Gravewalkers and Trick or Treat were the weakest. If pressed for time, those are the ones that I would skip. The only trail I did not get to experience was the asylum because the line was crazy and since I live right by GADV, asylum trails are old news.

The good news is that the lines for the coasters were much shorter than those of the trails. Hydra and Talon were walk-ons all night.

The calendar automatically removes operating days to only show upcoming dates. If you look at the operating calendar next Monday, it is only going to show the final 2 weekends. Haunt started on Friday September 18th this year.

^ That makes perfect sense. I was just looking back at the last few months of this thread and saw the posts about Haunt happening in September.

I'm just slow sometimes.

In my opinion, the best trails were Desolation and Cornstalkers. I think this is a rather popular opinion because the lines for these were nearly twice as long as the rest of the trails. The Wax Museum is really good as well if your into weirder style trails.

All of them are good, some are better than others. I thought that Gravewalkers and Trick or Treat were the weakest. If pressed for time, those are the ones that I would skip. The only trail I did not get to experience was the asylum because the line was crazy and since I live right by GADV, asylum trails are old news.

The good news is that the lines for the coasters were much shorter than those of the trails. Hydra and Talon were walk-ons all night.

Thanks! Good to know about the trails and thank you for the positive reinforcement about the lines lol. Honestly, I don't expect it to be crowded considering the forecast - gonna be COLD on Saturday!

Thanks! Good to know about the trails and thank you for the positive reinforcement about the lines lol. Honestly, I don't expect it to be crowded considering the forecast - gonna be COLD on Saturday!

Every time I read this I just think to myself, "Maybe, if I pretend I didn't see that, it'll be warm"

4 layers is the max I can wear and still have enough range of movement to do my job. Hopefully it's enough.

^ LOL I have been using wunderground for forecasts before trips for the last two seasons and they are almost always on point. They are saying COLD AF for Saturday at midnight.

That's good news for Demon Drop and Thunderhawk. As I mentioned earlier, Thunderhawk gets its trims turned down when it's cold. Demon Drop just tends to run better in the cold I've found. The heat ruined that ride, made it super unreliable, it's been running flawlessly since it's gotten colder though.

Maybe I'll a bring a space heater or something for Demon Drops booth, probably won't work too well consider that booth is open air, but it's worth a shot.