TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

You know we all sit here and complain about Dorney park never getting anything, but I think it's because we put it in the wrong circle of amusement parks. I've never looked at Dorney park in line with the rest of the parks of Cedar Fair, it's more along the lines of a corporately owned local family Park, Like Lake Compounce, Kennywood, or even Adventureland LI. If you look at it in that light, it makes a whole lot more sense for the park to not receive as much as we all wish it would.

You know we all sit here and complain about Dorney park never getting anything, but I think it's because we put it in the wrong circle of amusement parks. I've never looked at Dorney park in line with the rest of the parks of Cedar Fair, it's more along the lines of a corporately owned local family Park, Like Lake Compounce, Kennywood, or even Adventureland LI. If you look at it in that light, it makes a whole lot more sense for the park to not receive as much as we all wish it would.

That's the thing though. If CF really spent money into this park they could make it great since it already has such a nice line up. IMO a really good GCI woodie would boost the park in every way possible. It would also make or break apart from those parks because this is really the only thing missing from a moderate line up IMO. Add a dark ride the year after, and flat ride package the year after, and your set (a man can dream right?)

Nowadays I agree with you. But you can't forget the fact that unlike those other parks, Dorney was at one time all set to become the region's heaviest hitter, right around the time they received the first hyper on the east coast. If you grew up with that image in mind then it's hard to shake.

I'm not quite as eager as everyone else for a GCI woodie, because old GCIs just typically aren't that great and Dorney wouldn't keep it pristine. If we're speaking strictly realistically, then I would want a small tightly plotted wing coaster with a second half as intense as Thunderbird's except twice as long. Which, btw, wouldn't be that long. So it could happen.

Nowadays I agree with you. But you can't forget the fact that unlike those other parks, Dorney was at one time all set to become the region's heaviest hitter, right around the time they received the first hyper on the east coast. If you grew up with that image in mind then it's hard to shake.

I'm not quite as eager as everyone else for a GCI woodie, because old GCIs just typically aren't that great and Dorney wouldn't keep it pristine. If we're speaking strictly realistically, then I would want a small tightly plotted wing coaster with a second half as intense as Thunderbird's except twice as long. Which, btw, wouldn't be that long. So it could happen.

I think Cedar Fair is done building B&M's at small parks. Last one was Patriot in 2006.

I think Cedar Fair is done building B&M's at small parks. Last one was Patriot in 2006.

They also appeared to be done building Giga coasters. Before 2010, the last one was Millennium Force in 2000.

How has Cedar Fair maintained Renegade and Prowler? I know those two coasters and Gold Striker are considered really good coasters. I'm still in favor of a GCI wooden twister along the lines of those coasters. Dorney has the hyper and the steel loopers.

Here's the big announcement everyone's been waiting for:

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/parkland/mc-dorney-park-site-changes-20151001-story.html

Dorney Park is making room for catering facilities by tearing down a ride that's been inoperable for a number of seasons.

In a legal ad detailing proposed work at 3830 Dorney Park Road, Cedar Fair L.P. is seeking South Whitehall Planning Commission approval to tear down the go-cart Speedway ride to create space for two catering pavilions, a catering kitchen building and a pump building.

Coming down with the ride would be maintenance buildings and sheds, according to the proposal. This would ensure that there is no increase in impervious surfaces on the site, which could negate concerns about a swell in stormwater runoff. The total area of the 187-acre property affected by the changes is approximately 1.91 acres, according to the public notice.

A message left with the park's communication manager were not returned.

i would rather have them not do this because i am inlove with the new cornstalkers so i hope this does not affect that attraction at all

Hey anyone got any discounts for Haunt that are cheaper than the $37.50 or whatever the tix are through the DP site?

Looks like a group of us are gonna be up next weekend (weather permitting), and none of us are CF passholders, and while that's already pretty cheap, any help would be appreciated.

How has Cedar Fair maintained Renegade and Prowler? I know those two coasters and Gold Striker are considered really good coasters. I'm still in favor of a GCI wooden twister along the lines of those coasters. Dorney has the hyper and the steel loopers.

Prowler is running great and is still the best roller coaster at Worlds of Fun to this day. I've heard Renegade has gotten very rough, however.

They also appeared to be done building Giga coasters. Before 2010, the last one was Millennium Force in 2000.

It's much harder to buy a B&M for a small park than it was in the 2000's. Back in the day, you could buy a B&M for around $15 million and it would get you a good 3-4 years of ROI (Return on Investment). Now, you buy a B&M for about $18 mil, and you get one good year with a sophomore slump the second year. It's not worth it for smaller parks nowadays.

Here's the big announcement everyone's been waiting for:

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/parkland/mc-dorney-park-site-changes-20151001-story.html

Dorney Park is making room for catering facilities by tearing down a ride that's been inoperable for a number of seasons.

In a legal ad detailing proposed work at 3830 Dorney Park Road, Cedar Fair L.P. is seeking South Whitehall Planning Commission approval to tear down the go-cart Speedway ride to create space for two catering pavilions, a catering kitchen building and a pump building.

Coming down with the ride would be maintenance buildings and sheds, according to the proposal. This would ensure that there is no increase in impervious surfaces on the site, which could negate concerns about a swell in stormwater runoff. The total area of the 187-acre property affected by the changes is approximately 1.91 acres, according to the public notice.

A message left with the park's communication manager were not returned.

i would rather have them not do this because i am inlove with the new cornstalkers so i hope this does not affect that attraction at all

It's not going to effect Cornstalkers, that's a brand new attraction for 2015, and they spent a lot of time/money on it. I don't think it'll go anywhere.

^Plus, I haven't been to Dorney since they added the new Cornstalkers, but I had been under the impression that said haunt was placed on some of the go-kart land, meaning it would have at least been partially removed already.

If you buy a 2016 platinum pass now you get one visit in 2015 free. Didn't you want to go to KD next year? If I were you I'd price it out. As far as day tickets though I'm useless in that department, sorry. Lol

Good point, I didn't even think of that. I'll look into it.

If you buy a 2016 platinum pass now you get one visit in 2015 free. Didn't you want to go to KD next year? If I were you I'd price it out. As far as day tickets though I'm useless in that department, sorry. Lol

Good point, I didn't even think of that. I'll look into it.

This is exactly what I did in 2013 when I was planning my large trip. Platinum pass through Dorney, and I ended up using it to get into Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Kings Dominion, too. Visited Dorney about four times that year, also - platinum pass was TOTALLY worth it!

^Plus, I haven't been to Dorney since they added the new Cornstalkers, but I had been under the impression that said haunt was placed on some of the go-kart land, meaning it would have at least been partially removed already.

It was placed near where the start/finish line was, the rest of the track that goes under Steel Forces turnaround was untouched. I don't think they knew what to do with it until recently, as the old gas tank is still in place near Thunder Creek Mountain.

Went to the park on Sunday while on a brief trip up north to see family, changing leaves, and get the whole "fall experience" as a break from Florida.

Dorney Park always impresses me as one of the consistently best-run Cedar Fair parks that I've ever been to. The park was completely dead yet they still run 2+ trains on everything and keep the capacity going pretty well. I was happy to see Stinger running, as it had been down the last two visits I've made so I hadn't been able to catch a re-ride since getting the credit at CGA years ago. Employees were super friendly, they were letting guests re-ride if their rows were empty or giving the option to move for a re-ride to an empty row.

Steel Force seems like it gives slightly more jarring rides every time I go back but it adds to the experience. We rode in the back row of the first car and the flex in the train's floor is pretty nuts. We got on everything two or three times in the span of about two hours.

I'd really love for this park to get the next investment from corporate. I don't know a whole lot about the park's finances but it seems close enough to Philadelphia and it's position in the center of the Lehigh Valley area seems like they could squeeze a little extra out of it to make an investment pay off. I'd really love to see a GCI in the Dinosaurs field or maybe an entrance-piece coaster like they did with Fury325 and GateKeeper.

Either way, this is about the only place you can go and always walk right onto some really great B&Ms, plus having the Whip and first-gen Freefall there really round-out the old and new. We always have such a good experience here that I try to get to the park at least every other year.

Just back from the park. Finally got my Stinger credit. Great ride and shockingly smooth. Also caught two strangely wonderful rides on Thunderhawk, which had previously been basically unmemorable to me.

Dorney has a rather poorly advertised policy of not allowing handstamp re-entry during haunt. I knew this, but thought the cutoff was 7pm (when the haunt event, ya know.... began). Unfortunately, when we went to go back to our car for sweaters/coats, and to exchange sunglasses for regular glasses, we were out of luck. The cutoff was actually at 6, and we were four minutes late. Couldn't cut us that break. Granted: my mistake.

This did put a damper on the visit. We shivered through the first five haunts, found them (or at least what we could manage to see) pretty lackluster, and decided it was time for Waffle House.

Haunt lines were 30-50 minutes and coasters were 5-20min at night.

Just back from the park. Finally got my Stinger credit. Great ride and shockingly smooth. Also caught two strangely wonderful rides on Thunderhawk, which had previously been basically unmemorable to me.

It gets better the colder it is. Maintenance turns the trims down the colder it gets, on some rides you'll be getting great airtime over the final bunny hills on par with Phoenix. The ejector on the first 2 hills, coupled with the air time finale (when the trim is turned down really low or off entirely) makes for a wonderful coaster.

It gets better the colder it is. Maintenance turns the trims down the colder it gets, on some rides you'll be getting great airtime over the final bunny hills on par with Phoenix. The ejector on the first 2 hills, coupled with the air time finale (when the trim is turned down really low or off entirely) makes for a wonderful coaster.

I believe from my observations this year that the trims are likely adjusted by the PLC whether its running one or two trains. Since the station was moved back behind the transfer table in the 90s that shorten the brake run. So to make up for that shorten brake run that is reason for the trim on the return run. Up until recently the park almost always run two train even when it wasn't remotely needed. So I'm not sure if they recently changed the way the trims are programmed or if it because I've just never ridden it much with one train running. That said last month I had the best ride I can remember ever having since both trims were basically off.

I believe from my observations this year that the trims are likely adjusted by the PLC whether its running one or two trains.

Full disclosure - I don't know everything about PLC cards. I only know the ones I work with in theatrical automation. Mine are programmed and tweaked manually. Sure, we can tell the OS that "if X then Y" but that's controlled entirely by the MC. The PLC is just a slave to the MC.

In layman's terms, the PLC doesn't make decisions, it just does what the MC (Master Controller) tells it to do. I'm probably arguing semantics here, too.

I believe from my observations this year that the trims are likely adjusted by the PLC whether its running one or two trains. Since the station was moved back behind the transfer table in the 90s that shorten the brake run. So to make up for that shorten brake run that is reason for the trim on the return run. Up until recently the park almost always run two train even when it wasn't remotely needed. So I'm not sure if they recently changed the way the trims are programmed or if it because I've just never ridden it much with one train running. That said last month I had the best ride I can remember ever having since both trims were basically off.

Actually the trims are manually controlled. There's a small locked valve with a pressure reader in the ops booth. Every morning, maintenance times how long the train is taking to complete the course. (From lift release until it stops in the first brake run) It's usually between 35 and 45 seconds, any higher than 45 seconds and it might valley, any lower than 35 seconds and it's causing undue stress on the structure. They manually adjust the trim brakes with the valve in the ops booth until it's hitting a target time.

If they add the second train, they turn the trim off completely for a few cycles, until they can adjust the trim to a suitable pressure to hit the target time with both trains.

The park was busy this weekend. Saturday was busy in the day but picked up A LOT at night. I believe parking was into the over flow lot saturday and sunday. Sunday was the busiest IMO. Crowds were high, lines were long (yes dorney does get lines on their coasters). Games were busy. Weather was perfect for it all.

The park was busy this weekend. Saturday was busy in the day but picked up A LOT at night. I believe parking was into the over flow lot saturday and sunday. Sunday was the busiest IMO. Crowds were high, lines were long (yes dorney does get lines on their coasters). Games were busy. Weather was perfect for it all.

Nice to hear that Dorney got some crowds. Were any lines over an hour? It seems that it was a busy week for amusement parks. (Great adventre was more packed then ever before!)

Also is it bad that every time I see this thread at the top of the list I immediately get excited assuming that Dorney announce what they are getting for 2016?