TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

I stopped by the park on Friday night for a few hours on the way to Philadelphia and had a really good visit.

The park was pretty dead, or undead depending on your perspective. The longest wait I had for a ride was 10 minutes for the front seat on Steel Force and the Wild Mouse. Every other seat/ride was a walk-on. The haunts were the real draws and they all seemed to have pretty long waits, so I skipped out on those since I was pressed for time. I was still able to enjoy the Halloween atmosphere though and think that the park did a better job than Six Flags with theming and character interaction.

As for the rides, I got on the following:

Wild Mouse- 1X

Hydra- 1X

Demon Drop- 1X

Dominator (Up)- 1X

Whip- 1X

Monster- 1X

Steel Force- 2X

Possessed- 1X

Stinger- 1X

Talon- 2X

Hydra and Talon were both running glass smooth. In my visit last year, both had a bit of a rattle but that was non-existent on Friday. While Hydra isn't intense, I really do like the ride's elements since they produce a lot of air-time/hang time. Then Talon is one of my favorite inverts. Really forceful and a unique 2nd half.

Steel Force was running extremely well. Last year both my sister and I found the ride to be pretty dull, but on Friday the ride was absolutely flying. My front seat ride gave strong air on every hill and my back seat ride was more of the same. The first drop was particularly wild in the back since it really gets dragged over the top.

I was also able to get my first ride on Stinger since it was open! I really liked the ride. It was really forceful and smooth unlike their sit-down siblings.

The park was pretty dead, or undead depending on your perspective. The longest wait I had for a ride was 10 minutes for the front seat on Steel Force and the Wild Mouse. Every other seat/ride was a walk-on. The haunts were the real draws and they all seemed to have pretty long waits, so I skipped out on those since I was pressed for time. I was still able to enjoy the Halloween atmosphere though and think that the park did a better job than Six Flags with theming and character interaction.

And THIS is why Dorney's Haunt is better than Great Adv. Sounds like you had a good time, thinking we're gonna try to get up next weekend. Need to get some laps on Talon, my favorite invert.

I haven't had a smooth ride on Hydra in a few years. One train is worse than the other and both rattle after the first drop for almost the rest of the ride. It's not enought to stop me from riding the coaster but it's usually a once a trip ride for me.

This may sound like a weird request, but by any chance, does anyone have a link to any off-ride or on-ride footage of their old Pinfari coaster Flying Dutchman in action? The only thing I've been able to find is a single far away shot in someone's archival vacation footage from the early 80's. I barely remember this coaster existing as I was super young at the time they tore it down.

I was at the park on Saturday. There were absolutely no lines for any of the coasters except steel force which was dispatching a train about every 8 minutes. The longest line for a haunt attraction we waited in was only about 40 minutes for Cornstalkers. All of the haunts were done very well.

My biggest gripe was the Fright Feast. For an additional $10 I was given the option of adding an all you can eat buffet. Being the wise consumer I am, I decided to spring for it since $10 isn't a terrible price to pay for in-park food. The food was really, really bad. I don't know how you mess up fried chicken and mac and cheese, but they did. I wasn't expecting much (I lived on Cedar Fair food every day for an entire summer when I worked at Cedar Point), but the McDonalds I had before entering the park was several times better.

What about the open-soda-bar offered? They can't mess up fountain soda can they? Nope, but they can surround the entire thing with maybe 40 - 50 Yellowjackets all trying to feed on sugary soda syrup. Essentially, if you wanted a drink, you had to risk life and limb to get it. I have a mild bee allergy/phobia so I stayed away from the fountain to the best of my ability. I guess the quality of the actual soda product was acceptable.

Tl;DR: There were no lines for rides, short lines for very good haunts, and If when buying your tickets for the park somebody tries to sell you a fright feast ticket for $10, skip on it.

I was at the park on Saturday. There were absolutely no lines for any of the coasters except steel force which was dispatching a train about every 8 minutes. The longest line for a haunt attraction we waited in was only about 40 minutes for Cornstalkers. All of the haunts were done very well.

My biggest gripe was the Fright Feast. For an additional $10 I was given the option of adding an all you can eat buffet. Being the wise consumer I am, I decided to spring for it since $10 isn't a terrible price to pay for in-park food. The food was really, really bad. I don't know how you mess up fried chicken and mac and cheese, but they did. I wasn't expecting much (I lived on Cedar Fair food every day for an entire summer when I worked at Cedar Point), but the McDonalds I had before entering the park was several times better.

What about the open-soda-bar offered? They can't mess up fountain soda can they? Nope, but they can surround the entire thing with maybe 40 - 50 Yellowjackets all trying to feed on sugary soda syrup. Essentially, if you wanted a drink, you had to risk life and limb to get it. I have a mild bee allergy/phobia so I stayed away from the fountain to the best of my ability. I guess the quality of the actual soda product was acceptable.

Tl;DR: There were no lines for rides, short lines for very good haunts, and If when buying your tickets for the park somebody tries to sell you a fright feast ticket for $10, skip on it.

That sounds pretty bad although I am not a big buffet person and would never think of springing for one at an amusement park. I know people have said good things about the one at CP, but for me that will be a never-do thing. Not when they have TGIFriday's, Famous Dave's or their french fries and cheese readily available.

I also have a mild bee allergy - especially after being stung six times in the head one time after a nest of yellow jackets attacked me. While I like the idea of free soda at parks like Holiday World and Lake Compunce, they are the same way - magnets for hundreds of yellow jackets. Last year when we visited LC, I stayed away from the free soda and just went with the $8 beer instead...a much safer option!

Any day now dorney..... still waiting for your "announcement"

Well apparently we are getting an announcement some time in September. So that leaves us with uhhhh... a day! Who else agrees that the chances of an announcement tomorrow are pretty much zero? Who knows, last year's announcement was November 17th! (I'm personally hoping for a GCI woodie, Dark ride, or skyscreamer by stinger or in Hang time's old spot (If there is enough room). We all know though that we will probably get a new 2 by 4 on the side of thunderhawk's support structure or something.(That would be awesome!) The lack of rumors is very upsetting though.

I haven't had a smooth ride on Hydra in a few years. One train is worse than the other and both rattle after the first drop for almost the rest of the ride. It's not enought to stop me from riding the coaster but it's usually a once a trip ride for me.

i love hydra due to the unique ride layout. i wish dorney was able to have the b&m roar but since the neighbors love complaining that stops them from putting the loud wheels on. (atlest i think)

and as of today dorney is the only cedar fair park currently not getting anything for 2016 (not counting mia). i will be fine with nothing for 2016 unless something big comes in 2017 but we all know cedar fair loves the paramount parks and cedar point to much to care about the smaller TRUE cedar fair parks.

and as of today dorney is the only cedar fair park currently not getting anything for 2016 (not counting mia). i will be fine with nothing for 2016 unless something big comes in 2017 but we all know cedar fair loves the paramount parks and cedar point to much to care about the smaller TRUE cedar fair parks.

Wait is the new ride going into California's Great America a triotech dark ride or just a regular theater with a 4D experience? Because if its not a Triotech there is still hope for us! (Because we all know Michigan's adventure will get their triotech in 2034 when its considered outdated for 10 years )

Also its so funny how people just instinctively don't count MIA for anything Cedar Fair related anymore

All we can do is hope at this point! (and maybe an announcement tomorrow is not so far-fetched as other parks in the chain announced their rides back to back)

i love hydra due to the unique ride layout. i wish dorney was able to have the b&m roar but since the neighbors love complaining that stops them from putting the loud wheels on. (atlest i think)

Wouldnt Cedar Point be considered the only true Cedar Fair park? All of the others were acquired by Cedar Fair.

Actually, Cedar Fair as a company did not exist until Cedar Point and Valleyfair merged. So, technically, those are the only two "Cedar Fair" parks.

i was directing that at the paramount parks since those parks seemed to ruin our chances of ever getting a big expensive coaster

Here's the big announcement everyone's been waiting for:

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/parkland/mc-dorney-park-site-changes-20151001-story.html

Dorney Park is making room for catering facilities by tearing down a ride that's been inoperable for a number of seasons.

In a legal ad detailing proposed work at 3830 Dorney Park Road, Cedar Fair L.P. is seeking South Whitehall Planning Commission approval to tear down the go-cart Speedway ride to create space for two catering pavilions, a catering kitchen building and a pump building.

Coming down with the ride would be maintenance buildings and sheds, according to the proposal. This would ensure that there is no increase in impervious surfaces on the site, which could negate concerns about a swell in stormwater runoff. The total area of the 187-acre property affected by the changes is approximately 1.91 acres, according to the public notice.

A message left with the park's communication manager were not returned.

Edited by larrygator

If this were other parks:

Oh noes! B&M catering pavilions suck! Lets complain until we get another Intamin giga-aquatrax 360 degreee suspended looping pavilion to replace the Hurler! Coaster drought!!! Need, need, need!

Cedar Fair, you're stupid! We coaster enthusiasts are defiantely smarter than you! If we don't see Ziz in 2017 then the park has gone to hell!

The last thing we need is another yellow coaster or B&M cookie cutter!