TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Love Thunder Creek Mountain, but I have to give the edge to Demon Drop because it may not only be the best ride in the park, but also possibly the best drop tower I've ever been on.

Seriously, I was actually a little bummed when CP removed it, because it was one of the few things besides the coasters (and maXair) that I would be sure to do every time I went there! Such a great little drop tower! It was the scariest thing in the park, at least for me!

I must be strange because I don't really enjoy rides that scare me. I prefer rides that are just plain fun.

Well, when I say "scary", I DO mean in a fun way. Kind of like how in a movie that is a good, taut, thriller, you feel that tension, but it actually excites you. That's how I felt on Demon Drop. And that's not a feeling get very often on coasters or amusement rides in general, anymore...

I must be strange because I don't really enjoy rides that scare me. I prefer rides that are just plain fun.

Well, when I say "scary", I DO mean in a fun way. Kind of like how in a movie that is a good, taut, thriller, you feel that tension, but it actually excites you. That's how I felt on Demon Drop. And that's not a feeling get very often on coasters or amusement rides in general, anymore...

I agree 100%. I find being anxious/nervous on a ride all the more awesome. All that build up then the intital release.

So all in all we had a great little visit to Dorney. There's nothing of interest to report but as usual the park was looking great, staff were friendly and efficient and we had a ton of fun. Every time I go to Dorney I like it more and more.

I love Dorney, sounds like you guys had a nice stop. No they don't have a star attraction (other than the waterpark I suppose) but their collection is solid and never having to wait is just the greatest - I am spoiled @ Morey's with this too. Bummer you couldn't squeeze in Possessed, I don't know why but I love it so much. Talon is the perfect invert imo, all of the others (mostly) seem to be balls-to-the-wall intense, but Talon brings it down just a notch but it still manages to keep me on my toes. The ride is perfectly paced, and the zero-g gets me every time, even after many marathon rides @ C4Ks. Awesome finale. Glad I got to get on Demon Drop a few times my last visit, its a very intense experience. Also, I hate to admit this to you but I have yet to ride Thunder Creek Mountain. I need to make it a priority next time I'm there, though I think that won't be until Haunt since we enjoyed it so much last year.

Excited to hear about Hershey!

Hydra is pretty signature, no?

I would say that Talon is more of a "signature" roller coaster for the park than Hydra is, but Hydra is definitely up there.

Other than the jo-jo roll, what makes Hydra stand out from other quality coasters they have in Talon, Possessed and Steel Force?

I decided to refrain from being a negative nancy in my post last night and not mention Hydra at all but it is a giant waste of space IMO. It kind of bums me out. I want to like it. The ride looks great, but is such a let down. I know I'm not alone, though I do know people (for some strange reason) like the ride. I love the way it interacts w/ the terrain, but even that doesn't thrill me the way the low to the ground section on Talon does. The jo-jo roll is an obnoxious novelty if you ask me, the rest of the ride is forceless and frankly, boring. Which is crazy to think considering the amount of inversions it has and the amount of space it covers.

Personally I would think Steel Force is their star attraction if I had to pick one. For starters, its huge (comparing to their other rides). It's the most well known to the GP and it tends to get longer lines than any of the other coasters. But is it the best? No, Talon and Possessed are better though I do like Steel Force. It's best in the front.

Went to Dorney again yesterday for a really quick stop which was totally unplanned. We went to visit our old neighbors who live about a mile from the park on the way home from Hershey and they suggested stopping by to ride a few coasters and go to Chickie and Pete's for dinner.

They're not coaster people but we sort of just went with the flow yesterday and ended up riding Talon, Hydra and Dominator before going to dinner and then heading out. We had a lot of fun, we parked in the overflow lot as the park looked really slammed but of course everyone was in the waterpark and every coaster was a 5 minute wait tops. Somehow that's the most crowded I've ever seen the place.

Other than the jo-jo roll, what makes Hydra stand out from other quality coasters they have in Talon, Possessed and Steel Force?

I decided to refrain from being a negative nancy in my post last night and not mention Hydra at all but it is a giant waste of space IMO. It kind of bums me out. I want to like it. The ride looks great, but is such a let down. I know I'm not alone, though I do know people (for some strange reason) like the ride. I love the way it interacts w/ the terrain, but even that doesn't thrill me the way the low to the ground section on Talon does. The jo-jo roll is an obnoxious novelty if you ask me, the rest of the ride is forceless and frankly, boring. Which is crazy to think considering the amount of inversions it has and the amount of space it covers.

Personally I would think Steel Force is their star attraction if I had to pick one. For starters, its huge (comparing to their other rides). It's the most well known to the GP and it tends to get longer lines than any of the other coasters. But is it the best? No, Talon and Possessed are better though I do like Steel Force. It's best in the front.

Agreed. Hydra does nothing for me. It also bums me out that it was hercules' replacement. Everyone thought some epic terrain coaster would take that place but instead we got a tiny, forceless floorless, that doesn't make sense. It has all the elements of a good ride, but the flow is just wacky.

I like Hydra.

It's far from my favorite floorless but everyone gets on B&M for building unoriginal rides and with Hydra they actually did something unique. Straight drop, barrel roll right out of the station, a turnaround after the drop followed by 2 barrel roll / corkscrew style elements rather than the standard loop / dive loop. I like the ride, at least it's something different...

I like Hydra.

It's far from my favorite floorless but everyone gets on B&M for building unoriginal rides and with Hydra they actually did something unique. Straight drop, barrel roll right out of the station, a turnaround after the drop followed by 2 barrel roll / corkscrew style elements rather than the standard loop / dive loop. I like the ride, at least it's something different...

Agreed. Hydra does nothing for me. It also bums me out that it was hercules' replacement. Everyone thought some epic terrain coaster would take that place but instead we got a tiny, forceless floorless, that doesn't make sense. It has all the elements of a good ride, but the flow is just wacky.

Back when Hercules was removed, I was delighted to see it turned to firewood. Now, though, I can only wonder what could have been, if it were still around and could ge the RMC treatment...

I actually don't find Hydra rough at all. And I think it has potential - agreed the layout is unique and as I've said it *looks* like it should be great. I just find it very dull. I think if it was rough it might be a little interesting somehow lol.

Dear anyone going to DP in the next few days,

I need me one of these magnets right here:

http://marketplace.dorneypark.com/Dorney-Park-Magnet-P31.aspx

I don't want to purchase it online because for some reason the dorneypark.com marketplace is not secure.

Could some awesome individual be talked into sending me one? I will PayPal cost+shipping.

Just putting this out there again.

Ruh roh

OSHA launches investigation into Allentown's Dorney Park

Updated 29 mins ago

ALLENTOWN, Pa. --

The U.S. Labor Department's Occupational Safety and Health Administration has launched an investigation into Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom after an employee was hospitalized at the Allentown theme park in July.

The Morning Call of Allentown reports the department's online inspection detail says the case was opened July 22 and focuses on health-related issues.

OSHA spokeswoman Lenore Uddyback-Fortson says the investigation is ongoing and declined commenting on the nature of the probe or why the employee needed to be hospitalized.

Dorney Park officials declined to comment on the issue.

The incident is separate from a 2014 case when OSHA cited the park for failing to protect workers from hazards and illness, as well as record-keeping violations. Dorney Park was fined $9,000 after a teenage worker collapsed on the job.

Going to Dorney this weekend for the first time in awhile! A couple of questions:

1) Is Possessed going to be open (I remember liking this ride a lot when it first opened)

2) What are the crowds going to be like?

Going to Dorney this weekend for the first time in awhile! A couple of questions:

1) Is Possessed going to be open (I remember liking this ride a lot when it first opened)

Possessed should be open. Its been running very well the last week weeks (knock on wood) and the crowds will maybe big. The park as been hitting pretty high the last few weekends.

When I went to Dorney in a Sat in June (after kids got out) Wildwater Kingdom was slammed all day but the park wasnt too bad. We were able to do Talon, Steel Force, Thunderhawk, Demon Drop, Possessed and Hydra by 12:30-1 by getting there for opening. We later tried to reride Steel Force and the wait was about 30 mins. Stinger was not running and Possessed was up and down all day, but this was June. I think you'll be fine!

You ever see that show, "Life After People"? They'll be kind of like that.

It's so true, it's one of the this I love about Dorney! The GP goes and stands on endless lines in the water park and right next door are two B&Ms with next to no lines!