TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Another day at Dorney means another day of maintenance issues with Stinger. Stinger was closed again on my visit, and that means it has been closed for over a week now. On the other hand, Steel Force was running very good today for some reason, maybe because it rained a few minutes before I went on.

image.thumb.jpg.7043d963a7b6efc3f45931f105852a7b.jpg

There was a maintenance guy on both lift hills

Another day at Dorney means another day of maintenance issues with Stinger. Stinger was closed again on my visit, and that means it has been closed for over a week now. On the other hand, Steel Force was running very good today for some reason, maybe because it rained a few minutes before I went on.

I got on Stinger today, might have closed later on in the day. I went on right at opening.

Does anyone else besides me wonder why Dorney is the relocation capital of the Cedar Fair chain? Dorney's last "new" coaster was Hydra in 2005. 3/3 of their last major rides (since Hydra) have been relocated. I like Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom but its going down road. Hangtime is gone, Stinger is never open, they haven't received a brand new flat ride in ages. Time to step it up Dorney. But Wildwater Kingdom looks good. Their new slide complex (clone of the original at Oceans of Fun and new for this year Hurricane Heights at Kings Dominion) looks really good at Wildwater Kingdom.

they haven't received a brand new flat ride in ages. Time to step it up Dorney.

So by ages... you mean a few months right? Because Cedar Creek Flyers is a new flat that honestly appeals to way more people than Hang Time probably did.

I think Cedar Fair realizes that most people go to Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom for Wildwater Kingdom so that's where they spend most of their money.

This

And as far as the relocated rides go, I won't complain. The 2 most forceful and intense rides in the park are probably Posessed and Demon Drop, and if being the "relocation capital" of the chain means we got Demon Drop then it's okay with me.

The 2 most forceful and intense rides in the park are probably Posessed and Demon Drop, and if being the "relocation capital" of the chain means we got Demon Drop then it's okay with me.

Does anyone else besides me wonder why Dorney is the relocation capital of the Cedar Fair

We went over this already if you go back in the forum, but relocated or not an impulse coaster would be a welcomed addition to any park. It's fast (the third and fourth launch), very enjoyable, intense, and actually gets me a little scared when I am in the back of the train. Demon Drop is also a great ride and is surprisingly very scary, mostly because you feel like it is going to collapse. If Stinger didn't break down as much, it wouldn't be bad at all. It's smooth for a Vekoma and is one of the more intense rides at the park, so overall would I like to see new rides come to Dorney, yes, but I also don't mined these good relocated rides. We are going in the right direction with the new Cedar Creek Flyers.

I think the next new coaster the park gets should be a GCI woodie

I'm not familiar with DP layout, so where would you think a good location for a Coaster like that would be? Would a Coaster removal be necessary?

I'm not familiar with DP layout, so where would you think a good location for a Coaster like that would be? Would a Coaster removal be necessary?

I think it would be a good idea to replace Stinger with a GCI wooden roller coaster. Except it should have steel track, made by Schwarzkopf, have 2 loops, and named Laser.

I think where Hangtime was back next to Talon and behind White Water Landing would be nice. But as mentioned they wasted a lot of nice wooded area with the dinosaurs, so that would work as well whenever they move those prehistoric craps.

I think it would be a good idea to replace Stinger with a GCI wooden roller coaster. Except it should have steel track, made by Schwarzkopf, have 2 loops, and named Laser.

I like you.

Dorney has the worst customer service I have experienced. Called them Saturday as I was about 15 minutes away in a car passing by the area to ask if the rides was operating (it was raining). They told me Hydra was down but everything else was running. When I arrived at the park moments later they had accually closed the whole park earlier that evening.

There has been some activity behind Demon Drop this past weekend. There is some haunt props showing up and some sort of haunted house structure they are building. It is very hard to see from the walkway next to Demon Drop, but you can get a pretty good look at it while you are on Steel Force. It is exciting that we can almost confirm two new haunt attractions this coming year (this one and the one next to Steel Force's lift hill)!

I think they should remove Dinosaurs Alive and put a GCI woodie there.

Why, it appears Cedar Fair is making money with this initiative. I am not connected with their finances personally. However, they must be making money on the up-charge since they are still around their parks (and where added to other parks after the initial try).

Again, just a logical assumption on my my part. I know my daughter wants in every time we go to a Cedar Fair park and it seems busy and not unattended from what I see people shelling out cash for it.. Why replace a cash machine with a woodie that will only cost the park a bunch of CapEx to build and a bunch OpEx costs to maintain without the yearly return?

I think they should remove Dinosaurs Alive and put a GCI woodie there.

Why, it appears Cedar Fair is making money with this initiative. I am not connected with their finances personally. However, they must be making money on the up-charge since they are still around their parks (and where added to other parks after the initial try).

Again, just a logical assumption on my my part. I know my daughter wants in every time we go to a Cedar Fair park and it seems busy and not unattended from what I see people shelling out cash for it.. Why replace a cash machine with a woodie that will only cost the park a bunch of CapEx to build and a bunch OpEx costs to maintain without the yearly return?

Not sure about Dorneys, but the dinosaurs at the other Cedar Fair parks we visited this past week we're ghost towns. The carowinds dinosaur walk through looked like it was closed, as we did not see a single person in there the 2 days we were at the park. Kings dominium had maybe 5 people on the trail when we went in with our platinum passes. Lastly, the cedarpoint version was the busiest, but still not "that" busy.

I'm not saying that they are not making "any" money on them, it's just that they can't be making that much.