TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Stinger is a coaster that I treat as a surprise if it is open, but don't expect it to be when I visit. I don't understand why Vekoma didn't build catwalks on the front and back spikes so that they could make evacuating easier.

The only thing I've heard regarding Dorney getting a new coaster was back in 2011 when I overheard two Whitehall Twsp. workers at the McDonalds across the street on break mention something about a new wooden coaster.

Considering Cedar Creek Flyers is tucked back a little from the main midway, I would really expect that area to be the possible location on where it could go if they do go that route.

Part of me does wonder if this could be possible as it is rumor that has been discussed ever since Possessed was built. Given the last two or three seasons saw small to mid-sized additions, they could have a chance to go with it for a 2016 addition. But still, I'll believe it when I see it.

Dorney Park to build permanent structure for haunted house

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/parkland/mc-south-whitehall-dorney-park-0416-20150416-story.html

Dorney Park is planning to bring more scare power to its fall Halloween Haunt attraction with a permanent haunted house.

Dorney representatives told South Whitehall Township planners Thursday about the proposed haunted house, which will be built near the Steel Force rollercoaster.

The plans call for a one-story, 3,200-square-foot building with a sidewalk, queue lines and a service drive. It would cover 0.3 acres of the 187-acre property.

The park hopes to start construction on the building this summer and have it completed in time for the fall Halloween Haunt weekends, according to Adam Smith, civil engineer for the project with Barry Isett & Associates.

The Planning Commission gave the project its blessing with conditions.

In the fall, Dorney Park has five haunted houses and other "scare zones" set up for Halloween-themed weekends in September and October, according to Brad Marcy, Dorney vice president and general manager. The upcoming fall will be the eighth year for the attraction.

The permanent haunted house will be used for storage when not used for the haunted weekends. Marcy said he wasn't sure what the theme of the haunted house will be.

Last fall, the park caught flak from some members of the family of park founder Robert Plarr when they learned one of the attractions was called Madame Plarr's Chamber of Horrors, after Plarr's wife. The park quickly changed the name when family members complained.

Dorney's plans come as it is to debut a new ride this season called Cedar Creek Flyers.

Manufactured by Larson International in Plainview, Texas, it features eight two-person carriages that fly 28 feet over the midway.

Dorney also previously announced that it is adding Smokehouse Barbecue in the current Patio Pizza space. It will feature smoked beef brisket, pulled pork and hush puppies.

Dorney Park opens for the season May 1 and will be open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays through May 22.

Wildwater Kingdom will open May 23, when both parts of the amusement park begin daily summer hours.

The park is owned by Cedar Fair Entertainment Co., which drew about 19 million visitors to Dorney and its 10 other amusement parks last summer.

Attendance was down slightly from the year before, but the lag was more than offset by higher per capita guest spending, which was $45.53 and gave Cedar Fair record revenues of $939 million through Labor Day.

Margie Peterson is a freelance writer.

So, not a lot of fun for the park's technicians.

Job Security

In that case, they should also install a Giant Inverted Boomerang and an S&S air-launched coaster.

This year of Haunt might be one of the best years yet! With this new Haunt building and a new haunt attraction in place of the weirdly themed Desolation this year is sure to bring some more " scares." I just wish they can do something about that pirate themed one that nobody cares about, at least add some more props besides a pirate ship unless you are trying to scare five year olds.

I genuinely feel bad for Dorney Park. All these other Cedar Fair parks getting new things all the time while Dorney sits stagnant with nothing but two hand me down shuttle coasters. Nonetheless I always enjoy a trip or two there in the summer to ride Talon and Possessed.

What was the second hand me down shuttle coaster. I don't feel that bad for this park since they do have one of the best water parks around and a great collection of kid, family, and thrill rides. They just need one more good coaster (GCI woodie) to put it back were they need to be which is being a fun and very well rounded amusement park. They also are starting to put some charm back into the park with the many signs around the park telling about there history, but they need to put some more trees in the upper midway and make some landscaping charm that's been noticeably changing. Compared to some of the other parks in the chain like Valleyfair that hasn't gotten a coaster since Renegade and has a very below par water park ( even with the big expansion), Michigan's Adventure hasn't gotten a coaster since there relocated slc and doesn't have one decent steel coaster, but at least they got a good water park. Worlds of Fun is just like Dorney park at this point in time other then that Dorney has more steel coasters, but I do love Prowler and there unique thrill rides.

Can someone please explain why they want this park to get a GCI but they can't even take care of Thunderhawk? It's a tiny little coaster with huge potential that's trimmed to death and still insanely rough. I'm just curious, because I feel like in a few years the GCI will be the same way.

I guess it's because the park only has one woodie? And for some reason people don't think parks are complete with only one wooden coaster? I don't see it happening, not anytime soon, anyway. And for what it's worth, I didn't find Thunderhawk that bad. Rough? Yes, but that's to be expected from a 92 year old ride.

How is Possessed a hand me down shuttle coaster, it is my favorite ride at the park for the extreme intensity it offers and Thunderhawk like said is 92 years old and not extremely rough I think they are doing a decent job with the coaster. I also can't see Dorney getting a woodie with all the noise they make people around the park like ususal would be furious unless they make a lot a tunnels and half tunnels like they did with Gold Striker. Dorney also could use a good family coaster ( wild mouse is not fitting that gap), but I am not talking about 2016 I am talking there next future coaster and they really have no other steel coaster to choose from that is actually reasonable for Dorney park maybe they'll get Shockwave at Kings Dominion and advertise themselves as the relocation rides capital of the world!

I would love to see Dorney add one more major coaster. While possesed, talon, and Steel Force are great rides, the rest of the line up is lacking. I think it's plausible to speculate 2016 being a coaster year for them. Something like Skyrush/Maverick/blue fire/etc would really be up their alley.

The real draw there for me is Demon Drop. I love Gen 1 drop towers and they are few and far apart these days. The rest of Dorney's flat collection is also fantastic.

I too think Dorney could use a new coaster within the next three years or so. As much as I like Intamin Impulse coasters, it's sad when that's the best ride in the park . A GCI or RMC woodie would really give Dorney a well-rounded coaster lineup, although if lack of maintenance is the reason Thunderhawk has been a rough ride, a new woodie might go the same route after a few years.

I'm going with a dark ride before another coaster will be added.

I really don't see a dark ride happening for a while, parks like Cedar Point, Carowinds, Kings Island,and Worlds of fun are going to get one first then Dorney so probably they'll get a new coaster most likely in 2017 then a dark ride a few more years later.