TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

I just rode hydra this weekend and the trains look like they had brand new restraints and seats. Rode nice.

Hydra has 1 train with brand new restraints and seats, and one with old, and very ugly/moldy seats and restraints. Those will most likely be replaced this winter. Also, as a ride, here's my opinion. I find Hydra to be smoother than Bizzaro at Sfga but its more of a boring ride than Bizzaro as well. That's my opinion.

Could the different trains possibly account for the varying reports in roughness? When I rode two weekends ago it had a couple spots that were the roughest, and I mean THE ROUGHEST, spots I've ever felt on any B&M. And this is far from the first time I've experienced that on this ride. So either there's a good train and a bad train or people just aren't paying attention.

Other than the roughness, I've decided it's really not such a bad coaster. Not the best but no floorless is the best and at least it's got a pretty unique layout.

Stinger operated for a bit at the beginning of the season until there was a malfunction with people on the ride. It hasn't operated since.

By a bit, he means approximately 6 hours. The incident occurred around 4pm opening day.

Also, I don't seem to find a difference in roughness between the two trains on Hydra but that's just me.

I just rode hydra this weekend and the trains look like they had brand new restraints and seats. Rode nice.

Hydra has 1 train with brand new restraints and seats, and one with old, and very ugly/moldy seats and restraints. Those will most likely be replaced this winter. Also, as a ride, here's my opinion. I find Hydra to be smoother than Bizzaro at Sfga but its more of a boring ride than Bizzaro as well. That's my opinion.

Could the different trains possibly account for the varying reports in roughness? When I rode two weekends ago it had a couple spots that were the roughest, and I mean THE ROUGHEST, spots I've ever felt on any B&M. And this is far from the first time I've experienced that on this ride. So either there's a good train and a bad train or people just aren't paying attention.

Other than the roughness, I've decided it's really not such a bad coaster. Not the best but no floorless is the best and at least it's got a pretty unique layout.

I think you may be onto something. I didn't realize one of the trains actually got new restraints. For some reason, I guess bad timing, I always get the train with the moldy restraints - so I just thought both trains we like that. I don't expect a glass smooth ride on any roller coaster, but that one train in particular I somehow managed to ride each time this summer, I thought the ride was unsettling.

What is the park's rain policy?

Like Cedar Point the rain policy is horrible inconsistent. All rides may close with no regard for logic, what the rain policy was 5 minutes ago or how hard it's raining. Even if it's not raining but looks like it might they might close everything in the park. I've seen them do that twice. Then you might get lucky sometimes and they'll open something for no reason.

For example... 2 years ago we were there in the rain and every single ride was closed including the log flume and white water landing. The only rides we saw running were the Music Express (indoors), the Whip (indoors) and for some reason the SeaDragon. Then we went this year and saw nothing closed in a light rain except for the SeaDragon. It was closed due to weather... we asked.

So my suggestion would be to avoid Dorney if it might rain a lot, but if the forecast is just for passing showers it's probably worth a visit.

^My bad. Didn't even think to look there...should have been the first place. Much appreciated.

Just ignore everything you see on an official Cedar Fair park page about the rain policy. If you don't believe me watch the Cedar Point live cam next time it rains and compare it to what it says in their FAQ section.

Took a trip to Dorney Park Saturday, and got a good bit done before the heavy rain came. Pretty much just a coaster trip for me.

Got there right around opening time (11am). Didn't seem very busy, though there was rain in the immediate forecast and it seem to be sprinkling all morning off and on (I will get to that later). As I was walking in, I saw Talon stuck at the top of the lift hill. So with that, I just decided to head to the back of the park. Rode Steel Force twice (last car, middle row). From there, got a ride on Possessed (last row). Rode Steel Force again (third car, middle row).

From there I made my way back to the front of the park. Rode Hydra twice (once in the front row, the other in the last row). After that was two rides on Talon (once in front row, and the other in the last row). From there, it was back to the back of the park. Rode Thunderhawk (can't remember which seat). Then another two rides on Steel Force (last car middle row, and second car front row). Then the rain came heavy. All the coasters stopped due to the rain I believe, but it seemed only for a bit until the very heavy rain subsided. Made my way back to the front of the park and rode Talon again (front row). Then I left around 3 (had a descent drive and weather did not look great.

All in all, the coaster selection isn't all that bad. Like someone else on hear had talked about, a GCI woodie would fit in nice here. Or maybe an attention getter, like a Maverick (but that I am sure is not in the future). As far as the specific coasters go, Steel Force and Talon were by far my favorites. The last car, second row is a great seat on SF. And of course Talon is a nice B&M invert. Hydra seemed just OK to me. The barrel roll out of the station is just meh for me. The train also seemed to have a bit of a vibration at times. I noticed it riding in the last row near the end of the ride. Don't know if it is always like that, or the lack of riders contributed to it (only about 12 people on the ride at the time).

Possessed was OK. Have ridden Wicked Twister, so I was pretty much used to it. However, seemed to like the straight tower sitting in the back more than the usual twist on WT. On the contrary, it had a brake pause at the top of the tower on the last forward fall, which resulted in some restraint tightness in the wrong area. Thunderhawk seemed to be a little too rough for my liken. Plus it was a little too rough. As for the last rollercoaster, Stinger, it was closed all day. Have no idea why.

As for the park, they did have a nice selection of flat rides. Could not really think of another addition, other than an awesome Disk-O. All in all it was a good trip. Don't know if I will ever go back having Hershey a little closer, but it was a park I wanted to get off the coaster bucket list.

BTW, getting hit by sprinkling rain on SF hurts just a bit. Pins and needles kinda hurt. Also, the front seat on Talon hurts in the rain as well.