TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

I have not been on Demon Drop at Dorney yet. The last time I rode a Demon Drop is when they had one a SFGA, all I could remember was... ouch.

Possessed is great, as I find launch coasters a ton of fun. It's just a short ride though.

Talon has the best ride experience overall.

Steel Force reminds us that it is the tallest coaster Dorney will ever have.

Hydra is becoming neglected. It used to be super smooth but has gotten bumpy and its trains need some serious TLC.

Thunder Hawk is brutal, but I still ride it because it's the only wooden coaster there.

I would actually be excited about visiting Dorney if they hadn't got rid of Laser. Was the replacement worth it?

Oh god no. Not only is Stinger a bad ride, but it's very unreliable and has stranded guests long enough to make the news on more than one occasion. It's been closed basically all season.

Laser was reliable, smooth and fun.

Eh, too bad then.

I've ridden Fire Dragon at Lagoon and I thought it would have been interesting to compare the two.

Isn't Demon Drop the last one in the USA? And like, one of six left in the world? (I can think of four in Japan - Tokyo Summerland, Rusutsu Resort, Nagashima Spaland, Central Park - and one in Italy - Movieland Park) are there any others left?

Sadly, Demon Drop is the only 1st generation left in the US, you're correct.

There are 4 others still in operation according to Wikipedia:

Torre do Terror @ Beto Carrero World, 2 in Japan, and Holloywood Action Tower @ Movie Studios Park, Italy.

Ugh, I hate seeing stuff like this because it just makes me have less faith in Wikipedia.

Toshimaen (as far as I know) has NEVER had one. And I just rode the one at Nagashima Spaland like a year ago. There are four (that I know of) still operating in Japan. Toshimaen isn't one of them!

I'd really like to see Dorney get something unique that makes me want to go back, but I understand it is a smaller, regional park rather than a headlining destination park, so it is near the bottom of Cedar Fair's list for getting new/expensive rides.

I do miss Laser. There aren't many of those Schwarzkopf looping coasters remaining in the World, much less the U.S. It was a tight and aggressive ride. As my first looping coaster, it will always have that nostalgia factor for me. I also miss Hercules. Even though that ride was out-of-control, that first drop and turn were amazing, and the layout wasn't bad at all.

I haven't ridden Steel Force in a while, and although it would probably pale in comparison to the newer hypers/gigas, I always liked the ride. Talon is one of my favorite inverts. Hydra, however, was a fairly big disappointment to me. I do need to ride it again since it's been awhile, but I absolutely hated that ride before.

Dorney deserves so much better than Mantis. They ripped out Laser, added a relocated impulse, neutered Thunderhawk and have (IMO) 2 of the worst hyper and floorless coasters around. With 3 other CF parks adding gigas the last 5 years, and KI getting the biggest invert in the world, they could do better than a 20y.o CP castaway.

Here's what's interesting....

Six Flags Astroworld:

Batman The Escape - relocated from Six Flags Great Adventure

Mayan Mindbender - relocated from Boblo Island

Texas Tornado - relocated from the fair circuit

Ultra Twister - relocated from Six Flags Great Adventure

Viper - relocated from Six Flags St. Louis

For years, people HATED and COMPLAINED that all they ever got was relocated crap from other parks... that is until they announced the park was going to close and then all those rides were cherished and beloved to everyone because they were about to be lost forever.

Moral of the story? If Dorney Park ends up with Mantis, at least you didn't end up with Serial Thriller!!!!

So shut up and quit your annoying complaining!!!!

--Robb "I don't think the Six Flags America people complained this much when they actually got Iron Wolf!" Alvey

Unless Dorney is in fear of closing the dry side, I don't think it's accurate comparing it to a defunct park that may not be defunct if their collection wasn't an array of dated hand-me-downs. Mantis might spike the attendance numbers for a year, but it is not the type of quality attraction that will keep people coming back.

After 10 years of no new coaster additions, it'd be disappointing if that's what they came up with. To me, it'd be better suited at a park like KD or CW, to bolster already solid lineups that have seen major additions the last few years, with something new and custom going to parks like Dorney and Knott's.

With all that said, it's a coaster, and I'll still be visiting next year. But, I was hoping more for Dorney's next addition than a 3rd straight hand-me-down, even if it meant a couple more years of nothing.

Dorney deserves so much better than Mantis. They ripped out Laser, added a relocated impulse, neutered Thunderhawk and have (IMO) 2 of the worst hyper and floorless coasters around. With 3 other CF parks adding gigas the last 5 years, and KI getting the biggest invert in the world, they could do better than a 20y.o CP castaway.

Here's what's interesting....

Six Flags Astroworld:

Batman The Escape - relocated from Six Flags Great Adventure

Mayan Mindbender - relocated from Boblo Island

Texas Tornado - relocated from the fair circuit

Ultra Twister - relocated from Six Flags Great Adventure

Viper - relocated from Six Flags St. Louis

For years, people HATED and COMPLAINED that all they ever got was relocated crap from other parks... that is until they announced the park was going to close and then all those rides were cherished and beloved to everyone because they were about to be lost forever.

Moral of the story? If Dorney Park ends up with Mantis, at least you didn't end up with Serial Thriller!!!!

So shut up and quit your annoying complaining!!!!

--Robb "I don't think the Six Flags America people complained this much when they actually got Iron Wolf!" Alvey

Unless Dorney is in fear of closing the dry side, I don't think it's accurate comparing it to a defunct park that may not be defunct if their collection wasn't an array of dated hand-me-downs. Mantis might spike the attendance numbers for a year, but it is not the type of quality attraction that will keep people coming back.

After 10 years of no new coaster additions, it'd be disappointing if that's what they came up with. To me, it'd be better suited at a park like KD or CW, to bolster already solid lineups that have seen major additions the last few years, with something new and custom going to parks like Dorney and Knott's.

With all that said, it's a coaster, and I'll still be visiting next year. But, I was hoping more for Dorney's next addition than a 3rd straight hand-me-down, even if it meant a couple more years of nothing.

KD already has a stand-up coaster, and while Skyrider at CW is closing I don't think Shockwave will for a few more years. As for CW, I don't know. It would seem odd to close down a stand-up and then receive another stand-up.

Talon, Demon Drop and Possessed are the top three in the park in my opinion. ThunderHawk COULD be great if they release it from its trim prison. Stinger is just wasting space, I know it is a coaster blah blah blah, but honestly I just rather not even have it. It is an eyesore on top of it not operating. Hopefully Dinosaur's Alive goes soon as well as Stinger an they could maybe just MAYBE add a medium sized coaster like a GCI back there.....Yea i'm not holding my breath.

Lets remember two things

1. Dorney Park has sever noise restrictions and Mantis is one of THE loudest coaster Ive ever heard. I don't see them taking apart EVERY single track piece and Support to put sand in to quite it.

Also the added weight of the sand in the track which is an significant amount would likely require larger supports.

I hadn't thought about the noise but you are correct their is no way Whitehall Township approve Mantis with the amount of noise it currently makes. They've been more relaxed in the last 5 years to the point where I think we could see a giga but not unless its silent.

This is has to be Dorney just messing with us. I don't believe Mantis is going anywhere. By announcing its "closure" it a good way of tricking some of the GP that a revamped Mantis with floorless or sitting train as a "new coaster".

Lets remember two things

1. Dorney Park has sever noise restrictions and Mantis is one of THE loudest coaster Ive ever heard. I don't see them taking apart EVERY single track piece and Support to put sand in to quite it.

Also the added weight of the sand in the track which is an significant amount would likely require larger supports.

I hadn't thought about the noise but you are correct their is no way Whitehall Township approve Mantis with the amount of noise it currently makes. They've been more relaxed in the last 5 years to the point where I think we could see a giga but not unless its silent.

This is has to be Dorney just messing with us. I don't believe Mantis is going anywhere. By announcing its "closure" it a good way of tricking some of the GP that a revamped Mantis with floorless or sitting train as a "new coaster".

Yep just like they did with the Bizarro's and X2 (paint, special effects, new trains). Also what I mean by taking the track apart I mean the covers on the ends of the tracks and supports.

This

Hydra is becoming neglected. It used to be super smooth but has gotten bumpy and its trains need some serious TLC.

Seriously, what the hell happened to Hydra??? I feel like this question needs answering. It was incredibly smooth when it opened. Every floorless I've ridden has at least a little rattle, but I would not call what Hydra has a "rattle", more like a serious maintenance problem. It doesn't ride like any B&M I've been on, more like an old Arrow or Vekoma. The height/speed stats are very modest, so there's no reason I can think of for why it would have gotten this bad.

Seriously, what the hell happened to Hydra??? I feel like this question needs answering. It was incredibly smooth when it opened. Every floorless I've ridden has at least a little rattle, but I would not call what Hydra has a "rattle", more like a serious maintenance problem. It doesn't ride like any B&M I've been on, more like an old Arrow or Vekoma. The height/speed stats are very modest, so there's no reason I can think of for why it would have gotten this bad.

Really? I rode it a few weeks ago and even though it wasn't silky smooth I didn't find it rough.

Really? I rode it a few weeks ago and even though it wasn't silky smooth I didn't find it rough.

I do think that the trains could receive some new foam for the seats and restraints, but the coaster itself is still really freaking smooth.

It's always been one of those anomalously rough B&M's. I've gone on it dozens of times, including in its opening year and including last year. That being said, it's still comfortable. Why? I am not sure, as the other floorless coasters I've been on are much smoother, so I can't figure out what makes this any different.

Hydra is rough for a B&M floorless but it's still not rough in any way, shape or form when compared to most coasters. I enjoy the ride quite a bit.

Yea I never understood the bad rep this coaster gets. I think it's pretty unique and has one of the best first drops on any coaster with inversions i've been on.

Hydra is rough for a B&M floorless but it's still not rough in any way, shape or form when compared to most coasters. I enjoy the ride quite a bit.

Yep, there are coasters that are much worse. But, I have in memory a time when Hyrda was silky smooth - about 3 years ago. I didn't do Dorney for 2 years and came back with season passes this year for almost 3 years since last visited. After riding it my first time again in 3 years, I definitely noticed it had gotten more rough. I still ride it, its not bodily injury rough, but I miss it when it was smooth as silk.

I was also shocked to see Stinger - the new addition. Thought it would be cool to ride, but never got the opportunity since its been down nearly the whole season. Based on reviews in the forum though, it sounds like almost a blessing I didn't get the opportunity to ride it.

That being said, they really need to get the situation figured out with Stinger - it's too prominent to hide, but the fact they could not get it operating again this season is embarrassing. It particularly gets too much attention when another coaster breaks down - I always hear guests complaining that Stinger is not running (most visitors don't know its been broken down nearly all season) and now another coaster is broken down. It just looks bad and gives off a bad vibe for guests.

I found Hydra to be very smooth last season when I was at the park, Just a little rattle but you get that on most coasters. I really love the jojo roll and it is all around a unique layout!

As for the future, the park is really in need of a wooden coaster in my eyes. They have decent enough steel coasters.