TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

What if, instead of Dorney receiving Mantis, it means Hydra and Mantis are switching trains?

Mantis is supposed to be turned into a floorless coaster with new track colors. So instead of ordering new trains, they could use Hydra's pair of floorless trains to save some money. And then, instead of scrapping Mantis's trains, they send them here and market Hydra as a new experience for 2015.

That's just what it sounds like (to me) with CP saying "Take your last stand" and DP saying "We stand up with CP."

This would literally be the worst thing that could ever happen.

One tweet... one innocent little tweet and now people are freaking out to the point where people are giving up hope of ever seeing anything innovative at Dorney Park while at the same time suggesting Mantis is coming to Dorney or Hydra and Mantis are switching trains and we're getting a stand-up jo-jo roll which will quite literally be the worst thing ever.

Because of one tweet...

One tweet... one innocent little tweet and now people are freaking out to the point where people are giving up hope of ever seeing anything innovative at Dorney Park while at the same time suggesting Mantis is coming to Dorney or Hydra and Mantis are switching trains and we're getting a stand-up jo-jo roll which will quite literally be the worst thing ever.

Because of one tweet...

I haven't given up yet. Reread my post. If Mantis IS relocated to Dorney, then I will freak out. I'm good for right now.

Because of one tweet...

"Stand up jo-jo roll" made me cringe

Lets remember two things

1. Dorney Park has sever noise restrictions and Mantis is one of THE loudest coaster Ive ever heard. I don't see them taking apart EVERY single track piece and Support to put sand in to quite it.

2. Green Lantern (which is essentially the same ride with a bigger drop and a added corkscrew and helix) is only a couple of hours away (but then again we have Goliath and Great White literally across the street).

Dorney Park has sever noise restrictions and Mantis is one of THE loudest coaster Ive ever heard. I don't see them taking apart EVERY single track piece and Support to put sand in to quite it.

They have to completely dismantle a coaster to relocate it, so they have to take apart every single track and support piece anyway.

Dorney deserves so much better than Mantis. They ripped out Laser, added a relocated impulse, neutered Thunderhawk and have (IMO) 2 of the worst hyper and floorless coasters around. With 3 other CF parks adding gigas the last 5 years, and KI getting the biggest invert in the world, they could do better than a 20y.o CP castaway.

Then again, GAdv's 2015 "coaster" addition is a Ring of Fire, so at least Dorney would be winning that battle

Dorney deserves so much better than Mantis. They ripped out Laser, added a relocated impulse, neutered Thunderhawk and have (IMO) 2 of the worst hyper and floorless coasters around. With 3 other CF parks adding gigas the last 5 years, and KI getting the biggest invert in the world, they could do better than a 20y.o CP castaway.

Here's what's interesting....

Six Flags Astroworld:

Batman The Escape - relocated from Six Flags Great Adventure

Mayan Mindbender - relocated from Boblo Island

Texas Tornado - relocated from the fair circuit

Ultra Twister - relocated from Six Flags Great Adventure

Viper - relocated from Six Flags St. Louis

For years, people HATED and COMPLAINED that all they ever got was relocated crap from other parks... that is until they announced the park was going to close and then all those rides were cherished and beloved to everyone because they were about to be lost forever.

Moral of the story? If Dorney Park ends up with Mantis, at least you didn't end up with Serial Thriller!!!!

So shut up and quit your annoying complaining!!!!

--Robb "I don't think the Six Flags America people complained this much when they actually got Iron Wolf!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

...and on another note. On my last visit to Dorney Park, I actually thought Demon Drop was better than most of the roller coasters there!

THANK YOU CEDAR POINT!!!

I was legitimately excited when I heard that Demon Drop was coming to Knott's.........then my heart was broken.

My favorite rides at Dorney are actually Talon, Thunder Creek Mountain and Demon Drop. Demon Drop is easily the most thrilling and intense ride in the park.

It's so good I ride it despite the awful rap safety spiel they play in the station.

Edited by coasterbill

...and on another note. On my last visit to Dorney Park, I actually thought Demon Drop was better than most of the roller coasters there!

THANK YOU CEDAR POINT!!!

I was legitimately excited when I heard that Demon Drop was coming to Knott's.........then my heart was broken.

Same.

Isn't Demon Drop the last one in the USA? And like, one of six left in the world? (I can think of four in Japan - Tokyo Summerland, Rusutsu Resort, Nagashima Spaland, Central Park - and one in Italy - Movieland Park) are there any others left?

^God, I'd forgotten how insane those 1st-generation Intamin drop rides were--definitely a unique experience.

Same here. I'd ride Freefall at SFGAdv all the time growing up, but it was eight years since my last ride on it when I went to Dorney Park in 2013 and rode Demon Drop. Say what you will about relocated rides, but I'm glad that Dorney got this one. Easily one of the best in the park.

Isn't Demon Drop the last one in the USA? And like, one of six left in the world? (I can think of four in Japan - Tokyo Summerland, Rusutsu Resort, Nagashima Spaland, Central Park - and one in Italy - Movieland Park) are there any others left?

Sadly, Demon Drop is the only 1st generation left in the US, you're correct.

There are 4 others still in operation according to Wikipedia:

Torre do Terror @ Beto Carrero World, 2 in Japan, and Holloywood Action Tower @ Movie Studios Park, Italy.

I would actually be excited about visiting Dorney if they hadn't got rid of Laser. Was the replacement worth it?

Oh god no. Not only is Stinger a bad ride, but it's very unreliable and has stranded guests long enough to make the news on more than one occasion. It's been closed basically all season.

Laser was reliable, smooth and fun.