TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

That is actually good to hear that the lines at Dorney do get long.

^Almost every trip I have made to the park, the longest line is a maximum of 20 minutes on the dry side of the park. The waterpark gets pretty crowded almost every day during the summer. I just posted a photo TR on my blog if you are interested in checking it out.

Any new updates on Stinger? The last time I went to the park the yellow belt was still around the front of the train in the station.

Yep, still hasn't changed.

Good to hear that it is busier during the weekends. But still for a late August weekday, feel it really should be busier than it was as schools in the area start up the following week.

IMG_3222.thumb.JPG.1282d339670f3cf3cbafca34027c016a.JPG

Still the same.

We were in Scranton yesterday morning having lunch with family and decided to swing by Dorney for the afternoon / evening afterwards since we have a platinum pass. Except for one short trip earlier this year (we were on our way back from Ohio and stopped for a few rides on the way home) this was our first trip this year.

I'll eat my words a little bit, the park was really crowded (For Dorney) but part of that may be because it was setting up to be a hot day and it ended up being a little cloudy, probably driving some people out of the water park to the dry park.

After visiting so many Six Flags parks it's easy to forget how much better of a company Cedar Fair actually is. People lump Six Flags and Cedar Fair together but it's really night and day. Every ride was dispatching quickly, employees were friendly and it looks like every ride was just painted yesterday. It's also nice to see a park actually operate it's rides from open to close with no stupid, reactionary cost-cutting measures. I kind of get the feeling that Cedar Fair realizes there are ups and downs in the industry and they just keep going on as planned while doing whatever they can to make sure guests have a great day want to come back. Six Flags on the other hand is freaking out and coming up with ridiculous cost cutting measures while hoping guests don't notice.

We were at the park for like 5 hours and all the major coasters had short waits of about 10-20 minutes. We got on Talon (front), Hydra, Thunder Creek Mountain, Demon Drop, Steel Force (front), Posessed (in the front because it had a shorter wait than the middle cars for some reason) and hit Talon again on the way out, again in the front and at this point a walk-on. I've always been a huge fan of Talon, Demon Drop and Thunder Creek Mountain but was surprised at how much we enjoyed all of our other rides. Hydra was running well, I like Posessed more and more each time I ride it and Steel Force is a great front seat ride. I wish we had more time to go to Chickie and Pete's and ride some other rides (we usually always get a ride on the SeaDragon, Enterprise, Meteor, Revolution and on Thunderhawk) but overall we had a great afternoon and evening.

Oh... and Stinger's train seems to be in the station with a tarp over it but I'm assuming nobody cares. I know I don't. lol

Quick Trip Report:

I arrived at the park around 4:30 yesterday with a few of my friends from New York. Parking was a pain as I have never seen the lot so packed. It was all okay though because around 5-6 o'clock the mass exodus from the water park, camp and families began. We got to ride every coaster in the park including a few re-rides on Hydra and Talon. I love Talon, every time I ride it, it gets better and better. SO smooth and intense, it has held up better then some other B&M's of its era which are beginning to get the rattle. All the ride ops were good besides Steel Force, good lord. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but Steel Force is just bad at this point. Besides the speed it offers really nothing. Its so outdated and provides minimal airtime. But overall it was a fun twilight trip. Two thumbs up for Dorney.

Ok. We know Dorney Park is overdue for a BRAND NEW coaster. Does anyone know something that's in the planning stages with the local township or within park officials? What are your ideas. It's starting to get bored there.

I was there yesterday and I saw no signs of anything at all. Although the park was packed and I couldn't see any markers in the parking lot due to all the cars. When would the announcement for a new ride be? Im skeptical on a new coaster unless Cedar Fair has this project really under wraps.

Quick Trip Report:

I arrived at the park around 4:30 yesterday with a few of my friends from New York. Parking was a pain as I have never seen the lot so packed. It was all okay though because around 5-6 o'clock the mass exodus from the water park, camp and families began. We got to ride every coaster in the park including a few re-rides on Hydra and Talon. I love Talon, every time I ride it, it gets better and better. SO smooth and intense, it has held up better then some other B&M's of its era which are beginning to get the rattle. All the ride ops were good besides Steel Force, good lord. I'm sorry if I offend anyone but Steel Force is just bad at this point. Besides the speed it offers really nothing. Its so outdated and provides minimal airtime. But overall it was a fun twilight trip. Two thumbs up for Dorney.

Steel Force's ops were very good on Friday evening. I hadn't been on the coaster in 9 years and while it is easily the worst hyper that I've been on, it is still a very fun ride. It still has airtime, but the intensity is noticeably missing.

We were there this past Sunday as well (8/24). That had to be the busiest day at Dorney I have seen this season. We arrived early and the parking lot was filling fast. By noon, the park felt packed. Unfortunately Steel Force broke down around 10ish and was down for over an hour. I really hope they thoroughly clean or replace the restraints on Hydra for next season. They are turning black and the B.O. smell is nasty.

Talon still is, IMO, the best coaster in that park. At least I got to ride that one 3 times.

As for a new ride, it's not looking like there will be anything for 2015 which is really disappointing. Snake Pit wasn't anything exciting for me, we did the water park 2 times this Summer, the lines are just too long to enjoy it even during the week. I guess that is the downfall of one ticket, two parks. They can get away with considering a water slide a new ride.

Some mentioned they could use the area where they do the Grave Walk for the new coaster site, but considering Grave Walk is being set up there (I could see the graves) this is unlikely. Dino's Alive is still very much alive minus the crowd. There seems no evidence of that coming down at the end of this season. Also, the parking lot has no markings that I could see. So, it looks as though Cedar's stepchild won't be getting anything exciting for next year. Looks like, now, 2016 will be Dorney's year for a new coaster.

We were there this past Sunday as well (8/24). That had to be the busiest day at Dorney I have seen this season. We arrived early and the parking lot was filling fast. By noon, the park felt packed. Unfortunately Steel Force broke down around 10ish and was down for over an hour. I really hope they thoroughly clean or replace the restraints on Hydra for next season. They are turning black and the B.O. smell is nasty.

Talon still is, IMO, the best coaster in that park. At least I got to ride that one 3 times.

As for a new ride, it's not looking like there will be anything for 2015 which is really disappointing. Snake Pit wasn't anything exciting for me, we did the water park 2 times this Summer, the lines are just too long to enjoy it even during the week. I guess that is the downfall of one ticket, two parks. They can get away with considering a water slide a new ride.

Some mentioned they could use the area where they do the Grave Walk for the new coaster site, but considering Grave Walk is being set up there (I could see the graves) this is unlikely. Dino's Alive is still very much alive minus the crowd. There seems no evidence of that coming down at the end of this season. Also, the parking lot has no markings that I could see. So, it looks as though Cedar's stepchild won't be getting anything exciting for next year. Looks like, now, 2016 will be Dorney's year for a new coaster.

Speaking of new coasters, Dorney and Great Adventure both might have new coasters coming in 2016. It might renew some competition between the parks.

Steel Force was HAULING tonight, I got some fantastic rides on it. One of the most underrated rides anywhere. I think the rain might have helped, but when it's running like it was tonight, I honestly have a hard time saying whether I like it or Nitro more. The airtime is comparable, but on SF you aren't stapled so you can actually come up out of your seat (which was happening often). Also, the second half of the helix gives a fantastic sensation of speed. Also, the double up. I don't know, I really think I might like it more than Nitro. But I know quite well it doesn't always run that well, Nitro is probably more consistent.

Speaking of new coasters, Dorney and Great Adventure both might have new coasters coming in 2016. It might renew some competition between the parks.

I think that will happen. This is the only reason I could see either parks add a giga in 2016.

It's hard to ignore Dorney's enthusiasm for CP's announcement about Mantis. Specifically, the #DPstandsUPwithCP.

Why else would DP stand UP unless it was to acquire this thing?

Thinking though, why would DP want this coaster unless it was forced on them.

Reading comments, there are very few who enjoy the Mantis ride. This means, if they brought it as is, few would enjoy this ride at Dorney. They would likely have to convert the trains to make it enjoyable, but we already have our floorless coaster, Hydra. For a smaller park, 2 floorless coasters doesn't make sense.

For now, let the rumors brew until we have another announcement, but I seriously hope Dorney passes on this coaster! We need a new wooden coaster, not another hand-me-down!

image.thumb.png.bbb039d7f67f0fa47fdb0c7f8856de63.png

There's no way Dorney is getting Mantis. Mantis is gigantic, there's no where to put it. If someone wants to whip out google maps and prove me wrong they're welcome to, but I don't think I am. They'd have to remove something major. Mantis is BIG.

Another good point. Mantis is also flat which will be an issue for Dorney. I guess It would need to replace Dinosaurs alive and the area behind Revolution and as far as I know Dinosaurs Alive isn't going anywhere (and neither is Mantis).

1) Mantis isn't going anywhere

2) If they were getting a coaster this massive don't you think there would be some land clearing already?

3) Carowinds tweeted about this too. Does that mean they're getting Mantis?

The Carowinds tweet was much more generic announcement, DP knew ahead of time it had to do with standing Up - at least that is how I read the tweet. That being said though, it can fit in a few areas - Specifically it will fit in the dinosaurs alive/grave walk area if you do the overlay. That area is fairly flat too. That whole area could be cleared/prepped in the same amount of time it is dismantled at CP.

Personally, I don't want to see it at Dorney, but they seemed very enthusiastic about it. They also knew it had to do with Standing Up, Carowinds just hinted at the announcement.

It's hard to ignore Dorney's enthusiasm for CP's announcement about Mantis. Specifically, the #DPstandsUPwithCP.

Why else would DP stand UP unless it was to acquire this thing?

Thinking though, why would DP want this coaster unless it was forced on them.

Reading comments, there are very few who enjoy the Mantis ride. This means, if they brought it as is, few would enjoy this ride at Dorney. They would likely have to convert the trains to make it enjoyable, but we already have our floorless coaster, Hydra. For a smaller park, 2 floorless coasters doesn't make sense.

For now, let the rumors brew until we have another announcement, but I seriously hope Dorney passes on this coaster! We need a new wooden coaster, not another hand-me-down!

You know, we might be on to something. I just did a satellite overlay of Mantis and put it into DP. It's a near perfect fit between Dinosaurs Alive and Stinger.

196797481_MantisPossibleRelocation.thumb.png.3155802e5e905cdca74ff21e320d363b.png

The "T" I added to the left is because I suspect it may be moved that much farther in that direction as opposed to where I put it so they don't have to move the maintenance bridge or change Zephyr's path.

What if, instead of Dorney receiving Mantis, it means Hydra and Mantis are switching trains?

Mantis is supposed to be turned into a floorless coaster with new track colors. So instead of ordering new trains, they could use Hydra's pair of floorless trains to save some money. And then, instead of scrapping Mantis's trains, they send them here and market Hydra as a new experience for 2015.

That's just what it sounds like (to me) with CP saying "Take your last stand" and DP saying "We stand up with CP."