TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

Visited Dorney for the first time Wednesday, you guys have a really clean and pretty park. I was impressed and had a great time. Slightly disappointed by the Top Spin, however... no inversions? Why not? The Revolution wasn't running hot either. Short cycles, never swinging above vert. Great food selection!

I've never been a fan of Revolution. I wish Dorney would have put in a Huss giant frisbee instead. Add that and a large, non-upcharge Screamin' Swing and Dorney could have had a really impressive flat line-up developed over the years.

I've never been a fan of Revolution. I wish Dorney would have put in a Huss giant frisbee instead. Add that and a large, non-upcharge Screamin' Swing and Dorney could have had a really impressive flat line-up developed over the years.

That's what Cedar Point was for until Skyhawk broke.

Not a fan of Revolution? Ride The Claw at Hershey. That's what it's supposed to do. It's no Giant Frisbee but it's badass anyway when being run properly, I promise.

The Top Spin has inversions, just only 2 inversions from what I remember. I wish that Top Spins would be able to calculate a cycle on the fly. I've heard the Towers of Terror at Disney parks do this for the drop sequence. For example, what if Huss programmed a Top Spin so a park could tell it - "2 minute cycle with 4 to 7 flips" and the ride would generate a safe series of flips that would not wear down the ride? A Top Spin can invert several ways - it can lock the gondola to loop, it can flip multiple times in a row with the proper swinging, and, of course, flipping after being plunged face-down. Imagine if the cycles were re-generated each time?

That's what Cedar Point was for until Skyhawk broke.

Not a fan of Revolution? Ride The Claw at Hershey. That's what it's supposed to do. It's no Giant Frisbee but it's badass anyway when being run properly, I promise.

Oh yeah, I agree Hershey's is a much more fun experience than Dorney's

The Top Spin has inversions, just only 2 inversions from what I remember.

You are correct, I misstated... it does indeed invert you but they are the controlled hanging inversions, what I meant was somersaults or flips. Every other Top Spin I've ridden spins you head over heels several times.

Does anyone know when the Dorney Park/Cedar Fair contract with Dinos Alive ends? That land back there is prime territory for a new coaster. I'd like to think Dorney has something good planned for it once Dinos gets the boot...

Has anyone heard anything about what Dorney has up their sleeve for 2015? I don't think I've heard even a single rumor. It's about time we get something original/not a hand-me-down from another park...

I came looking for some discussion of if there will be a new ride at Dorney in 2015.

I ran into a senior ops employee on the Zypher Train (of all places).We struck up some convo on the park and how long we have been visiting (about 10 years now) and I asked about Dino's Alive and they stated that there was still a couple of years left on the contract for DA - or as long as it 'does well'. I think it goes without saying that it doesn't really do well considering hardly anyone ever goes to it. Since I have a season pass, I figured I would stroll through it. Upon entering, I asked the desk employee the same question about how long it will be here for, they gave the same answer of there being a couple of years left on the contract as long as it does well.

That being said, I think by now we would have started to see some type of construction (at least foundations) process on a new coaster if it were to ready for 2015. The coasters seem to be a big issue according to the same senior ops employee I talked with as they stated the people who live next to the park (specifically the new development that popped up right behind Steel Force) constantly complain about the noise. I think if they were to build a new coaster they might put it more towards the entrance. After all, Cedar Fair has been redesigning their entrances with coasters, right?

Apparently they have been clearing land for a new parking lot, and I don't think it is because they need more parking because I have been there quite a few times on busy weekends and parking is still plentiful. They might relocate some of the current parking in the front to make room for a coaster? Thoughts? Other than DA area, they are kind of running out of room to put rides it seems, without having to take either parking area or removing a ride.

I also did always find that circular concrete pad interesting next to Stinger. Event space doesn't make much sense as every time I have been there, nothing goes on back there. The other day I was there the whole area was blocked off (probably for Stinger repair?).

It really drives me nuts when a new development is built next to an amusement park, and then they complain about the noise coming from the park. The park was there first, you decided to move into the development knowing that there was an amusement park next to it. Why are you surprised that you're hearing noise coming from the park all the time...

I know that we are the odd people out here, and would love a view of an amusement park from our bedroom windows. But it drives me nuts when people come into a new neighborhood and complain about things that were there before they got there...

You're not the first person I hear calling hydra rattly but I thought it was really smooth. I also don't consider it sluggish at all. That's what I was expecting due to the poor reviews I had heard but it was quite unique, well paced and with more air than any other floorless I've been on. I do like steel force (in fact, I think I enjoy it more than most people here) and so I agree that it's a glass smooth hyper with solid air, it was great fun. It's just that I like hydra a bit more (although not as much as talon).

It might depend on what train/row you get on? I have ridden Hydra plenty of times, often back to back. My 2nd to last visit there, I rode the front row (for a change because I didn't care about waiting the 10 minutes lol), the front row on that train I was on beat me up. I usually ride the 3-5th row and it was always super smooth. That front row though, was rough. My last visit I rode the front row again, got beat up. I figured I was done with Hydra for the day after that ride and just rode the other coasters.

Not sure what it is, whether it is the front row or the train itself. But, it can get nasty feeling.

It really drives me nuts when a new development is built next to an amusement park, and then they complain about the noise coming from the park. The park was there first, you decided to move into the development knowing that there was an amusement park next to it. Why are you surprised that you're hearing noise coming from the park all the time...

I know that we are the odd people out here, and would love a view of an amusement park from our bedroom windows. But it drives me nuts when people come into a new neighborhood and complain about things that were there before they got there...

I agree, the park has been there for 130 years so anyone who moved in there knew about the park. I have driven on a road close to being behind Steel Force (I think it's Broadway) and it looks really cool to see so much of the park from that area.

This. Same thing with people moving into a development built next to a major highway and complaining about noise. They knew what they were signing up for moving into an area like that.

Anyway I believe I have seen a satellite image of Dorney that outlined some potential areas for expansion and one that was highlighted was the smaller parking lot area out from the WWK wavepool and Talon's drop. Not a huge area but I'm sure it could be utilized one way or another. The parking lot is enormous and as already stated I don't think I've ever seen it even 3/4 filled (granted I never go busy weekends in the summer).

At this point Dorney just needs a coaster, any coaster that isn't a hand-me-down from somewhere else. It seems like they are the step-child of Cedar Fair at this point.

Michigan's Adventure

Agreed though about the coaster. I'd really like to think 2016 or 2017 will be our year.

Dive Machine behind Thunder Canyon, anyone?

After the day I had, I kind of feel like it needs something. While GAdv, and HP have been having 45 minute waits for their coasters this past week, everything I rode at Dorney either was a walk-on or a one train wait except for Thunder Canyon. WWK was also the same way with Snake Pit having a 10 minute wait for Python Plummet's slides and a two to three-person wait for Constrictor and Boa Blaster. The other slides were walk-ons.

This time of the season is when families try to get one last vacation in before kids start heading back to school and while it isn't a destination park like Hershey, I am kind of surprised at how empty it was during this time of the year as it should be a little more busier.

After the day I had, I kind of feel like it needs something. While GAdv, and HP have been having 45 minute waits for their coasters this past week, everything I rode at Dorney either was a walk-on or a one train wait except for Thunder Canyon. WWK was also the same way with Snake Pit having a 10 minute wait for Python Plummet's slides and a two to three-person wait for Constrictor and Boa Blaster. The other slides were walk-ons.

This time of the season is when families try to get one last vacation in before kids start heading back to school and while it isn't a destination park like Hershey, I am kind of surprised at how empty it was during this time of the year as it should be a little more busier.

I was at the park on Friday, Aug 15th, and by 1ish, there were actually long lines for Dorney on all of the coasters. I got to ride them all except Thunderhawk because the brakes malfunctioned just before I got on so I got turned back. Around 1ish, I was hoping to get some more coaster rides in before I head out usually around 2 ish, and the lines were probably a good 15-20 minute wait. I was actually a bit shocked as I never waited (no more than a few minutes) to ride a coaster at DP before since most of the crowd is waiting forever to ride slides in the water park. Then again, the weather was a bit on the cooler side so that is likely why the 'dry' side of the park had a lot more action than usual.

Dorney is absolutely mobbed on the weekends this time of year. This past Saturday they were parked in overflow, the plot of land the recently purchased beyond overflow, and in the grass on the Stinger side of the street. I honestly don't know where they could've fit any more cars. Considering the don't have trams, those people had one heck of a walk to the front gate!

We'll likely pick up a season passes again this year even though there doesn't seem to be anything new for the park next year(maybe our treat for next year will be Stinger actually running ). Probably not the meal plan though, we usually picnic out in the parking lot. We just don't find the food worth it there.

Dorney is absolutely mobbed on the weekends this time of year. This past Saturday they were parked in overflow, the plot of land the recently purchased beyond overflow, and in the grass on the Stinger side of the street. I honestly don't know where they could've fit any more cars. Considering the don't have trams, those people had one heck of a walk to the front gate!

What were the lines for the coasters like?

That is actually good to hear that the lines at Dorney do get long.

^Almost every trip I have made to the park, the longest line is a maximum of 20 minutes on the dry side of the park. The waterpark gets pretty crowded almost every day during the summer. I just posted a photo TR on my blog if you are interested in checking it out.

Any new updates on Stinger? The last time I went to the park the yellow belt was still around the front of the train in the station.