TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

I don't understand how a glass smooth hyper with solid air during the return run loses to a sluggish rattly floorless.

I didn't find Hydra sluggish at all. I'll take a solid floorless with two good drops and inversions over a bland hyper with one decent section of airtime any time. Just my preference is all.

I also prefer Hydra to Steel Force.

What I would like to see at Dorney is a new coaster that isn't a relocated one. I mean its been what.....NINE years since Hydra? Get ride of that "Dinosaurs Alive" mumbo jumbo and give us a nice GCI Woodie back there

This sounds crazy at this point but they have a potentially great wood coaster capable of delivering ejector OMFG airtime in the front car on multiple hills (especially the top of the turnaround). Unfortunately they don't feel like taking care of it so now it has terrible lap bars and headrests, trims everywhere and it tracks terribly. Thunderhawk is absolutely 100% capable of being the best coaster in the entire park if they remove the brakes and invest some money in it. I know this sounds stupid because it's a brutal ride at this point but anyone who has ridden it after it was re-tracked when the brakes were off will probably agree with me... especially if they sat near the front of the train.

If they can't take care of 1 wood coaster the last thing they need is another one.

What I would like to see at Dorney is a new coaster that isn't a relocated one. I mean its been what.....NINE years since Hydra? Get ride of that "Dinosaurs Alive" mumbo jumbo and give us a nice GCI Woodie back there

This sounds crazy at this point but they have a potentially great wood coaster capable of delivering ejector OMFG airtime in the front car on multiple hills (especially the top of the turnaround). Unfortunately they don't feel like taking care of it so now it has terrible lap bars and headrests, trims everywhere and it tracks terribly. Thunderhawk is absolutely 100% capable of being the best coaster in the entire park if they remove the brakes and invest some money in it. I know this sounds stupid because it's a brutal ride at this point but anyone who has ridden it after it was re-tracked when the brakes were off will probably agree with me... especially if they sat near the front of the train.

If they can't take care of 1 wood coaster the last thing they need is another one.

Hey dude, I love classic woodies and had a blast on ThunderHawk. Yes a little TLC to restore it to its former glory would be nice. But consider yourself lucky your park still has a classic woodie. I'm spoiled with the Coney Island Cyclone being my classic wooden coaster, but my other frequented park (Great Adventure) removed our only classic woodie which many considered busted up. I can tell you, I miss it already. You don't know what you got till its gone.

^ 'Tis all true, but the lapbars are fine. They're still buzz bars. Everything else angers me. I can't stand to see a classic neutered and quite bumpy.

I was under the impression that they changed those this year. If not then ignore that comment.

Hey dude, I love classic woodies and had a blast on ThunderHawk. Yes a little TLC to restore it to its former glory would be nice. But consider yourself lucky your park still has a classic woodie. I'm spoiled with the Coney Island Cyclone being my classic wooden coaster, but my other frequented park (Great Adventure) removed our only classic woodie which many considered busted up. I can tell you, I miss it already. You don't know what you got till its gone.

I live about the same distance from Dorney, Great Adventure and SFNE and I never cared much for Rolling Thunder but I get where you're coming from and do kind of miss it as it was a nice break from the crazy thrill rides. Thankfully SFNE which loves ruining great rides (Bizarro / Goliath) and removing other great rides (Flume, Colossus, Time Warp, Shipwreck Falls) has taken great care of Thunderbolt and I feel very fortunate that I live so close to that coaster.

I agree. I managed to get one ride with the trim off (my first one, actually) and it was great! The airtime was really good, so with new track and the trims removed it would be awesome.

I don't understand how a glass smooth hyper with solid air during the return run loses to a sluggish rattly floorless.

You're not the first person I hear calling hydra rattly but I thought it was really smooth. I also don't consider it sluggish at all. That's what I was expecting due to the poor reviews I had heard but it was quite unique, well paced and with more air than any other floorless I've been on. I do like steel force (in fact, I think I enjoy it more than most people here) and so I agree that it's a glass smooth hyper with solid air, it was great fun. It's just that I like hydra a bit more (although not as much as talon).

^I know this is not making a lot of people happy but I quite enjoyed the ride. Thought it was really fun.

I couldn't agree more. It was fun watching the person facing you scream his/her head off! Nice take on the classic boomerang layout.

^Looking back now (and even just after that ride) it is fun although at the time I didn't really find it that funny as a massive "string of saliva" formed and sort of did a loop around his face. I was just trying to hide my face in the restraints and hoping it wouldn't hit me.

I agree, replacing robot dinosaurs with a GCI sounds like a brilliant idea. I wish every park with DA would do that, I gaurantee a spike in attendance. Wooden coasters are much more marketable that fake dinosaurs, now real dinos may or may not be a different story.

does the wild mouse still have a theme song

oh yes.

and while you are in the line that slowly moves, you will hear it a few dozen times.

Ri-ride-ride-ride...

I agree, replacing robot dinosaurs with a GCI sounds like a brilliant idea. I wish every park with DA would do that, I gaurantee a spike in attendance. Wooden coasters are much more marketable that fake dinosaurs, now real dinos may or may not be a different story.

Does anyone know when the Dorney Park/Cedar Fair contract with Dinos Alive ends? That land back there is prime territory for a new coaster. I'd like to think Dorney has something good planned for it once Dinos gets the boot...

Has anyone heard anything about what Dorney has up their sleeve for 2015? I don't think I've heard even a single rumor. It's about time we get something original/not a hand-me-down from another park...