TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

It wasn't, bad at all, the threat of thunderstorms I'm sure helped with the people. NOT with the humidity! Basically finished the park in about 80 minutes with the exception of possesed, that was closed all morning and I left the park around 12:30 to head up to Knobels. Stinger opened around 11:30 after having some downtime in the morning.

Honestly the park is pretty meh, nothing really stood out to me as distinctly unique aside from Hydra just being really awkward, it seemed more like just a graveyard of old rides from other parks.

Yep, I will be posting pictures later (today? Idk). I made sure to ride it first thing when the park opened because I had a feeling something like this would happen. Demon drop is having problems too. This might be the 2nd year it eludes me. On the other hand, operations on the working rides are great. Steel force is running all 3 trains and the ops are like lighting. I got 4 rerides.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Lines shouldn't be bad, but just go to talon as that's usually a good gauge of how long the lines will be. Also, get in your rides on thunderhawk as soon as possible because i have only seen them run it with 1 train and the line can get massive.

If it's anything like the Saturday I went 2 weeks ago...

Do the back half of the park first. If it's a sunny/hot day, most people will stick to the front of the park and Wildwater Kingdom. Get on Stinger first if you want the credit and avoid possible breakdowns. If Steel Force is running 3 trains, you'll get rerides like no other. Every time I've visited, Dorney has proved to have stellar operations on most rides. Thunderhawk and Possessed will get longer lines later for the aformentioned 1 train operations. Between 10am and 12:30pm, my ride count was

Stinger: 1 (that was one of the days it valleyed)

Possessed: 3

Revolution: 2

Thunderhawk: 2

Steel Force: 6

Dominator: 1

And that was all in between taking tons of photos.

If you want Talon and Hydra without long waits, then yes, go there first. Their lines can get lengthy pretty early. I only got 1 ride and Talon and Hydra each after 1pm (and Steel Force 2 more times), but that's because I had to leave at 4pm.

If the week day crowds are anything like or less than the weekend crowds I've experienced, you'll have no problem doing everything.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.dorneypark.com/events/things-to-do/halloween-events/Zombie-Invasion-II

Living and undead alike are invited out to Dorney Park for Zombie Invasion II, the second annual takeover by zombies and costumed beings of all kinds!

When: Friday, September 14, 2012

What: This year’s event will be a preview of terrors to come during our Halloween season and allow guests to experience the event in costume, a HAUNT first. While our home-grown monsters will not be lurking around the midways just yet, guests will get a sneak peek at what HAUNT V will have in store for fear seekers this fall. Guests can come in make up or be zombified by professional make up artists at the park. In addition, guests will have access to our always thrilling ride attraction line up.

Who: Zombies, Vampires, Mummies, Mutants, Clowns, Ghosts, and costumed guests of all kinds! This year's event will be open to the public, including Season Passholders and all guests who dare to be part of the Invasion.

Tickets: $25.00

**Season Passholders can bring up to 4 friends to this event for just $14.99 per ticket!

**Bring A Friend tickets available at Ticket Booths on day of event only.

737905956_Zombie2_Invasion_Final.png.128cbce1b1e8281a9bf5e004267b4fe4.png

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm not the first one to mention this, but since Google Maps has updated their aerial image of Dorney Park, I figured I'd throw in my MS Paint skills into the mix...

DorneyParkWindseekerTemp.png.9d25e74910a7a78ed67bcbb4a725e4a0.png

With the opening of Stinger, this large concrete circle has appeared. I had a look at Cedar Point, which Google Maps has also updated, and wouldn't you know the match is perfect...

DorneyParkWindseeker.png.a91b04019f3b1571ed622c2c89be47d2.png

Took me about ten minutes to whip up. Since Cedar Fair has begun making its announcements for 2013, I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen...

Interesting! It does seem to conveniently fit right in there.....

Although, let's be honest, this IS Dorney we're talking about......Cedar Fair will install a Windseeker there around 2040, once the one at Cedar Point has reached the end of its useful life and they want to replace it. Then they can market it accordingly - NEW for 2040, it's the Windseeker! Hop aboard these new swings that take you to heights of nearly 300 feet! With this installation, Dorney Park maintains its world record for most relocated and recycled rides!!

^ I was actually thinking it would be funny if space spiral would get put somewhere in dorney, though a windseeker would be very cool.

also, was there ever anything in this spot, it seems like you could fit a smallish coaster like a GCI Big Fun or a flat or two.

^ Maybe they haven't felt the need to? Now perhaps they will to fill that gap between the Stinger and the walkway for Dinosaurs alive? I would like to see them get a unique coaster and not a replaced one.

I still love this park though. Best in park water park I ever been to.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, minor Halloween Haunt trip report. I should begin by saying it downpoured for ten minutes at around 7 and again around 9. Both times, my friends and I sought shelter at the overpriced Rita's by Stinger. Nobody was really there after the second burst.

Number one, Steel Force was running AMAZING! I'm not sure if it was because of the rain, but it was absolutely flying. The first airtime hill was actually very forceful and made me almost stand up coming down. Everything else seemed to be ok. Hydra runs fine with a full train, Talon was the same, and Stinger actually ran throughout the entire night, minus the breaks for the walls of rain.

Number two, the haunts. Asylum was the same as it always is. The strobe lights are very disorienting. Cornstalkers seemed even better this year, aS the corn maze part was extended and more fog machines seemed to be added. Haunted Mansion stayed the same- that "elevator" section is a capacity nightmare. Were it not for light crowds, it would have been a huge wait. Backwoods was gone because of Dinosaurs Alive . Club Blood was also removed. We did not go in Death Trap and Psycho Circus.

The two new ones, Desolution and Blood Shed, were entirely different quality. Desolution was actually really good. It used White Water Landing's queue and wound its way under the structure into the old Club Blood building. It was themed to a military base gone wrong. Legitimately scary at some parts and a good use of space. The searchlight on top of WWL was a very cool effect. Blood Shed, on the other hand, sucked. It was supposed to be a crazy hillbilly farm, but just failed. Barely any actors, bad sets- it just was meh.

• 3 weeks later...

Planning a last minute trip to Dorney Park. Leaving tomorrow, going to the park Saturday. If anybody could give me their opinion on how packed it is going to be I'd really appreciate it. I'm browsing through the tread but I should get back to packing / organizing everyone else going with me. Thanks!

-Doug

• 2 months later...