TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

I have noticed that many Cedar Fair parks have been removing many of their rules and restrictions, except for Dorney Park. For example, last summer at KD, they were not allowing station re-rides. However, this year, they were allowing them. And, at Carowinds, they were allowing 4 adults to ride their Wild Mouse. However, Dorney still enforces both of these rules. It really does feel dissapointing to be kicked off a Steel Force or Thunderhawk train, and watch them leave with 3-5 people on them, while Carowinds will let you ride a coaster as many times as you desire as long as you can find an empty row.

Really?? I was recently at Dorney and I did several re-rides on several rides...

I plan to go to Dorney on August 4th, which is a Saturday. I usually avoid Saturdays at parks but I figured it's open til midnight, I hear weekends aren't that bad on the rides side of the park, and it's the only time I have to go. I know it was mentioned upthread that the clientele leaves a lot to be desired on weekends, but how are the lines? I went last year on a weekday at it was almost dead there. I would go on Sunday, but I'm doing SFGAdv then. I can't afford Fast Lane, as I'm already doing Flash Pass the next day. Any hints?

^ When I was there on a Sunday (Coasting for Kids) there were really no lines. It was to the point I felt stupid using the Fast Lane we had that was included in C4K. The only coaster that really had a line was Hydra.

We were there that day too... I think Hydra only had a line because it kept breaking down. The longest line I waited on was probably 10 minutes for the Log Flume. The longest I waited for a coaster was probably 5 minutes for the mouse. It looked like the waterpark had long lines but we didn't head over there.

^ You mean even on weekends there's no lines? If so, that's awesome news.

I'd expect lines of 10 to 20 minutes while the water park is open on a weekend in August. As others said everyone goes to WWK but overall there will be a lot of people there with the main lot full, overflow lot being used and possibly full as well with cars parking on the grass if the weather is good.

Sorry to change the subject but since the haunt season is coming up and dorney has problably one of the best haunts on the east coast. I found this information on accident figured I'd share because it's pretty interesting .

HAUNT V will feature another year of blood curdling additions to this extreme scare event. Utilizing new areas, Dorney Park will add its bloodiest attraction yet to provide the most immersive experience for guests seeking the goriest scare they can find. Bringing the HAUNT V count to 14 fear inducing attractions will be the inclusion of our largest haunted attraction to date, featuring outdoor and indoor space over 13,000sq. ft. This year’s event will feature new live shows and talent, making it an unmatched collection of haunted entertainment. Haunt V will run weekends September 14-October 28, 2012. For additional HAUNT information, visit http://www.dorneypark.com for hours, attractions, pricing and much more.

Sounds like they are going big for their 5th year,

And if anybody is Intrested they are having a few zombie events,

DORNEY PARK HALLOWEEN HAUNT V OPENS SEPTEMBER 14TH WITH ZOMBIE INVASION II AND HAUNT VK ZOMBIE RUN

Friday, July 13th, 2012

DORNEY PARK, Allentown, PA (July 13, 2012) – Dorney Park will transform into the East Coast’s top scare attraction in the area again this fall. Celebrating the fifth year of this frightening event, HAUNT V will open on September 14th with a weekend of special events to bring out your inner zombie.

On Friday, September 14th, Dorney Park invites living and undead alike to be apart of our second annual Zombie Invasion event. This year’s event will be a preview of terrors to come during our Halloween season and allow guests to experience the event in costume, a HAUNT first. Guests can come in make up or be zombified by professional make up artists at the park. In addition to facing fears on our coasters, guests will also have a sneak preview to some of our most popular haunted attractions. The event is open to the general public and Season Passes will be valid for admission. Tickets for this event will be $25.00 and go on sale Friday, July 20, 2012 at http://www.dorneypark.com.

Zombies who survive the night can return the morning of Saturday, September 15th for a new event, the HAUNT Vk Zombie Run. In partnership with Run Lehigh Valley, Dorney Park will host its first Zombie themed running event throughout the park. Registration is now open at http://www.runlehighvalley.com and includes a park admission ticket valid for opening weekend, September 14-16th.

More than 500 horrifying monsters prowl the midway and bring these terrifying attractions to life. Dorney Park is now hiring for those who want to join the sick and twisted who lurk our Frightful HAUNT V Attractions. Job Fairs for zombies, mutants, mummies, ghosts and more will be held at the Good Time Theater from 4-8 pm on Wednesdays July 18, August 1, and August 15. Apply now at jobs.dorneypark.com.

About Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom

Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom® is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN.” In addition to Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom, Cedar Fair owns and operates ten other amusement parks, six water parks, one indoor water park resort, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates the Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park® in Gilroy, Calif. under a management contract.

MEDIA CONTACTS:

Carrie Basta, Communications Manager – (610) 391-7720, cbasta@dorneypark.com

###

« Back to News

Edit: I realized that the new dinosaur alive has taken the place of one of last years haunts "The BackWoods at Camp CUDie" so I'm not sure how their going to handle that situation considering they are gaining In the number of haunt attractions not loosening any, and how cool (and easy I may add) to turn dinosaurs alive into a haunt attraction, sure its an up charge but so is the admission into the haunt and even if the animatronics are off I still think the silhouettes of the dinosaurs at night time in the woods would be creepy , lol well only time will tell , just my 2cents.

Hercules....Great coaster when it was new....very rough as it aged.

Seeing a LOT of old woodies being "smoothed out" with new wood, and making them enjoyable again (Thunderhawk, Beast, etc).

Why was this not considered an option.

Were there other issues involved?

I plan to go to Dorney on August 4th, which is a Saturday. I usually avoid Saturdays at parks but I figured it's open til midnight, I hear weekends aren't that bad on the rides side of the park, and it's the only time I have to go. I know it was mentioned upthread that the clientele leaves a lot to be desired on weekends, but how are the lines? I went last year on a weekday at it was almost dead there. I would go on Sunday, but I'm doing SFGAdv then. I can't afford Fast Lane, as I'm already doing Flash Pass the next day. Any hints?

Hey! I'm going to be there that weekend too!

Drum Corps International (DCI), has an annual 2-day competition the first weekend in August at J. Birney Crum Stadium just 5 minutes up the street. I'm a drummer and I have friends that march drum corps, so I take this opportunity to go to Dorney. Super convenient.

Anyway, when I went that Saturday last year, the biggest lines were for Dominator, Revolution, Possessed, and Talon--even then they were 10-15, maybe 20, minutes max.

I actually really enjoy Dorney Park. They have a great collection of rides, they are well-maintained, the scenery is beautiful (especially the river down by Thuderhawk and Steel Force), and it's clean. I rarely buy park food, so that has never been an issue for me. I've even gotten re-rides on Thunderhawk and Steel Force before, but the stations were close to empty.

I just got this in my e-mail:

"Act Fast to Take Advantage of This Special Offer: Everyone wants to be a kid again- and Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom is the perfect place to act like one. With this SPECIAL ONE DAY OFFER, you only have to pay like you're a kid too! On Tuesday, July 31st for a LIMITED TIME of just 24 hours, you can purchase a One Day Regular Admission for just $29.99- matching our at gate Junior ticket for a $20.00 SAVINGS.

This offer will disappear at Midnight, so don't delay!

Just for our FUNTIMES subscribers: THE SALE STARTS NOW!

Use Promo Code DPKID12 to purchase sale tickets before the general public gets their chancee

Click Here to Buy Now (the link went to DorneyPark.com).

Tickets will go on sale to general public at 12:01 am EST Tuesday, July 31.

Tickets are valid on the day of your choosing between August 1-15, 2012"

The waterpark seems to really suck all the crowds out of the theme park on nice days. Probably the one reason I like Dorney.

I love it. Honestly, the last time I've waited in a line over 10-15 minutes for a ride at Dorney was for Talon the year it opened (2001), and I've been there 7-8 times since then.

Seeing a LOT of old woodies being "smoothed out" with new wood, and making them enjoyable again (Thunderhawk, Beast, etc).

The turn over the lake/pond/whatever was very close to a bunch of houses and the park got a lot of noise complaints. Who knew amusement parks were a source of loud noise?

So stinger valleyed, again. Mind if i ask how they get the coaster un-stuck?

Since the valley occured between the loop and the second spike, I'm guessing that it can be tugged or pushed forward until it catches the chain. Then, it would just finish the circuit as normal by being brought up to the top of the spike and then being released.

That certainly SEEMS to be a better idea than tugging the entire train through the loop and cobra roll.

As far as I heard (and it's all third-hand info so take it was a grain of salt), Hercules had a TON of construction defects; the builders took a lot of shortcuts, made a lot of design errors, and used a lot of inferior materials, and the poorly built coaster ended up tearing itself apart to the point that it wasn't really going to be feasible to keep it in good repair no matter what they did. The fact that they had to add brakes on the first drop (ugh) just to keep the first fast corner from tearing apart definitely supports that.

I only rode that coaster once, after it had deteriorated quite a bit, and it is VERY solidly in last place on my entire list; it's the only coaster I've ever refused to ride a second time.

Since the valley occured between the loop and the second spike, I'm guessing that it can be tugged or pushed forward until it catches the chain. Then, it would just finish the circuit as normal by being brought up to the top of the spike and then being released.

That certainly SEEMS to be a better idea than tugging the entire train through the loop and cobra roll.

It would make no sense to pull it through everything... but it might be kinda funny to see

and the picture of it valleyed --

As far as I heard (and it's all third-hand info so take it was a grain of salt), Hercules had a TON of construction defects; the builders took a lot of shortcuts, made a lot of design errors, and used a lot of inferior materials, and the poorly built coaster ended up tearing itself apart to the point that it wasn't really going to be feasible to keep it in good repair no matter what they did. The fact that they had to add brakes on the first drop (ugh) just to keep the first fast corner from tearing apart definitely supports that.

I only rode that coaster once, after it had deteriorated quite a bit, and it is VERY solidly in last place on my entire list; it's the only coaster I've ever refused to ride a second time.

After the braked first drop the train just kinda crept around the rest of the course. Sometimes I wondered if we would make it back to the station. Also there is a photo that shows the first turn having been modified with original footers still there. Can't seem to find it now.

When I go to the park around 2:30 the train was in the same spot in the picture on. Around an hour later after I rode Steel Force I saw the train had moved to the bottom of the 2nd lift (most of the train was on the lift). They got the train back to the station while I was in WWK and then when I left around 6:15, they were testing the ride.

^^Thanks for posting that! I just hope that it doesn't lead to actual lines on Wednesday when I head to the park.

I don't think it will be bad on a Wednesday even with that promo. Today the park was empty both the ride side and even WWK had short lines (I just over 2 hours I got 18 slides, rode Thunder Canyon and White Water Landing) and it was perfect weather for a trip to a park with it being in the low 80's and now rain so I thought there would be more people there.