TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

I'm heading up to Dorney for the first time the first week in August.

I do have a few questions. I've heard that the park allows you to ride Thunder Canyon and White Water Landing in just swim trunks. Is that true? I don't like squishy shoes and wet underwear, but if I could ride in swim trunks, I'd ride them. I plan to go to the water park for the first few hours of the day and go back to my hotel to change clothes/shower/eat lunch after that, then come back for non-wet rides.

I've heard this park compared to Carowinds in the past. Is that accurate? Corporate park, little shade, one or two good coasters, the others 'meh', lots of hand-me-downs?

I plan to go on either Monday or Tuesday, so I'm guessing crowds will not be a problem on the rides side, correct?

I'm heading up to Dorney for the first time the first week in August.

I do have a few questions. I've heard that the park allows you to ride Thunder Canyon and White Water Landing in just swim trunks. Is that true? I don't like squishy shoes and wet underwear, but if I could ride in swim trunks, I'd ride them. I plan to go to the water park for the first few hours of the day and go back to my hotel to change clothes/shower/eat lunch after that, then come back for non-wet rides.

I've heard this park compared to Carowinds in the past. Is that accurate? Corporate park, little shade, one or two good coasters, the others 'meh', lots of hand-me-downs?

I plan to go on either Monday or Tuesday, so I'm guessing crowds will not be a problem on the rides side, correct?

You can definitely ride Thunder Canyon in just swim trunks, and I'm 99% sure White Water Landing as well. I'm also not sure about the Log FLume, though it won't get you too wet (I encourage you to check it out though).

I've never been to Carowinds (soon!), but you are definitely right on the lack of shade. I personally love Talon and Possessed, while I know others don't really care for them- no matter though, you will likely enjoy the coasters, if not being blown away by them. Hydra, Thunderhawk, and Steel Force are all original coasters too, and Talon blows its clone away.

Pick a day. Any day. Ride crowds are never a problem, especially when the water park is open. From personal experience with friends and seeing discussion here, the problem seems to be more of how to fill up your day here. I could ride the coasters and flats repeatedly all day and be happy, but if it's more your style to ride it and move on without returning, you'll have lots of time to fill- every coaster will likely be walk-on except Thunderhawk (station wait) and Wild Mouse (which is just stupid).

Hope you have fun, and feel free to ask anything else!

You can definitely ride Thunder Canyon in just swim trunks, and I'm 99% sure White Water Landing as well. I'm also not sure about the Log FLume, though it won't get you too wet (I encourage you to check it out though).

I've never been to Carowinds (soon!), but you are definitely right on the lack of shade. I personally love Talon and Possessed, while I know others don't really care for them- no matter though, you will likely enjoy the coasters, if not being blown away by them. Hydra, Thunderhawk, and Steel Force are all original coasters too, and Talon blows its clone away.

Pick a day. Any day. Ride crowds are never a problem, especially when the water park is open. From personal experience with friends and seeing discussion here, the problem seems to be more of how to fill up your day here. I could ride the coasters and flats repeatedly all day and be happy, but if it's more your style to ride it and move on without returning, you'll have lots of time to fill- every coaster will likely be walk-on except Thunderhawk (station wait) and Wild Mouse (which is just stupid).

Oh I can fill my day up. I love flat rides as well, and do re-rides while also spending quite a bit of time just soaking up the park atmosphere. I especially love parks in the dark, so I'd have to stay til closing anyway.

You side lines are never a problem. Even with Possessed? I would think that one would have a long line most of the time.

It rarely has more than a 5 - 10 minute wait while the water park is open. I was there this past Wednesday. In the middle of the day, Talon was less than 5 minutes, Hydra looked to be around 15 minutes, Possessed was a little less than 10 minutes, Thunderhawk looked to be around 20 minutes (1 train running) and Wild Mouse looked to be 45 - 60 minutes. Every flat ride I walked by had either a 1 cycle wait or was a walk on. Crowds were a little heavier because there were a ton of camp groups.

Once the water park closes, then the ride side gets crowded but on a weekday, it still shouldn't be too bad.

I would get to the waterpark at opening and go right to Aquablast, the waterpark gets long lines but Aquablast can easily get a 45 minute wait a couple of hours after opening.

. I'm also not sure about the Log FLume, though it won't get you too wet (I encourage you to check it out though).

Every time I ride Thunder Creek Mountain I get soaked. The small drop right before where you go under the lift hill has a wave of water that always lands on me. I won't ride it unless I am also going to the water park. I just wear my regular water park clothes on the ride, a tank top, swim trunks and aqua socks (I usually ride it after Thunder Canyon and White Water Landing).

• 2 weeks later...

So how exactly does the swimsuit rule work? I don't see a separate path that leads to White Water Landing from Wildwater Kingdom, but at the same time, I know that they don't allow you to walk around in just swimtrunks on the rides side. The answer is probably simple, but it isn't working out in my head.

Looking forward to my trip there (and to ride Demon Drop at it's new home. Never thought I'd get to ride that again.). Of the 3 parks I'm visiting on my little trip (Knoebels, Dorney and SFGAdv.), it's the only one I've never been to.

There is a back entrance to WWK where the older wavepool is. That back entrance has a path that takes you right to Thunder Canyon and then up to White Water Landing. The only problem is, it isn't always open (but most of the time it is closed seems to be in May and June).

Some good news for Dorney regarding future additons.

In 2008, Dorney Park and South Whitehall Township agreed on a proposal that the amusement park hoped would end a complicated zoning process it said tipped off its competitors to new rides it was planning.

On Thursday night, the amusement park said a piece of that landmark agreement that limited the heights of certain new and replacement rides could ruin attempts to bring in attendance-boosting thrillers.

Elections One sentence in a carefully vetted zoning ordinance, they said, could cripple the profits of the park that boasts the mammoth Steel Force.

The Planning Commission agreed, voting to change the wording.

The problem, park attorney Joe Bubba explained, was that the ordinance passed in 2009 allowed Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom 11 tall rides — rides over 85 feet — in perpetuity.

The park could replace any of its eight existing tall rides with attractions of the same size, but it could only add three brand-new tall attractions.

Park representatives suggested this structure themselves, but no one realized the problem it would create until this summer.

"We should have caught that when we did the ordinance in 2009," Bubba said.

The addition of the Demon Drop in 2010 claimed one of the three coveted spots.

This summer, Invertigo — the inverted boomerang coaster set to debut in 2013 — took the second spot because, though it is replacing the Laser coaster, it is about 40 feet taller.

Allowed only one more new thrill ride, park representatives pleaded first with the township Zoning Hearing Board, then with the planners, where they found a sympathetic ear on Thursday night.

The Planning Commission unanimously voted to change the wording of the ordinance, allowing Dorney the 11 original agreed-upon rides over 85 feet without the clause on the replacement height.

So, pending a final decision by the township commissioners, it won't matter if the replacement ride is taller than the original attraction. And if Dorney wants — and it doesn't, Bubba said repeatedly — it could have 11 rides as tall as their limit, 540 feet above sea level, which could range from 160 to 230 feet above ground level.

Jason McClure, the park's general manager, said the replacement clause would have made keeping all 11 tall rides nearly impossible.

"It would be difficult to get attractions that are exactly the same height," McClure said. "It's impractical."

The planners also approved the rezoning of a parcel of the park's land from residential to recreational. The land, purchased from the county for $2.75 million, is slated to be used for parking, McClure said.

"Parking is our No. 1 concern as we try to grow our attendance base," he said.

Using the 6.75-acre parcel for parking would free up temporary lots on the other side of the park for future attractions.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/parkland/mc-south-whitehall-dorney-rules-chang20110722,0,7948145.story

Could be an error..but Invertigo opening in 2013?

Looking at the park using Google Earth, I'm trying to find out where this parcel of land they bought is. I know it's adjacent to the parking lot somewhere, but I'm not good with calculating what 6 acres looks like either. Can anyone show the boundaries?

I think the current overflow lot is a prime spot for expansion, so that report is good news. However, yeah, 2013 for Invertigo? MUST be a misprint.

Looking at the park using Google Earth, I'm trying to find out where this parcel of land they bought is. I know it's adjacent to the parking lot somewhere, but I'm not good with calculating what 6 acres looks like either. Can anyone show the boundaries?

I think the current overflow lot is a prime spot for expansion, so that report is good news. However, yeah, 2013 for Invertigo? MUST be a misprint.

Speaking of Google, they were at the park a few weeks ago with their camera bike when I was there. Looks like they might be adding Dorney to Google Streetview. It went past me around Thunderhawk and later inside WWK on that midway with the food stands near the older wavepool. If I show up on it I'll post where I am.

You're a dirty liar! I was just at Dorney today and got drenched with cheap shots on the log flume! Seriously, the first half is all nice, but as soon as you get to the turn next to Hydra's exit, prepare for water. First one is a random wave that launches over the left side of the log and soaks your entire left side. The second is another splash over the right side (not too much, though). Third is the waterfall that no loger turns off, and finally the splash at the bottom of the hill, where when you're in line it doesn't look too bad, but in the log you get drenched. Also, the water is quite cold.

I loved it.

The shade issue I don't find to be much of a problem. There's a nice walkway that goes through Thunderhawk that provides some nice shade, and the area on the parking lot side of Planet Snoopy has plenty. The front area (Talon to Hydra) is very sunny, as is the area by Possessed.

Possessed is my favorite ride at the park, but I'm also a sucker for impulse coasters. I think I rode Possessed 10 times today, alternating between the front and back seats.

Talon is a ton of fun. It packs quite a punch, I'd compare it to Batman in terms of pacing and intensity, really.

Steel Force has not held up over the years. Sure, its still a fun, smooth ride, but with Intamin blowing everyone else out of the water in the hyper/mega/giga/whatever coaster market, it seems like an antique. Definitely ride in the very back.

Thunderhawk, well...its Thunderhawk. Imagine a wooden coaster that has a lot of potential, but has been squandered due to poor maintenance and one of the worst trim breaks ever conceived. Those final bunny hills would have a ton of airtime if it wasn't for that damn trim! Oh, be careful if you're riding with someone. You could very well smash heads once or five times. Its happened to me.

Hydra is a strange thing. I rode it when it first opened and really enjoyed it, but it has not aged well at all. Let me preface by saying that the last time I was at Dorney before today was the year Hydra opened. Its just night and day different. When it opened it was smooth and had a really nice flow to it. Now it shimmies like you're riding in an earthquake and the pacing just feels disjointed. I'd give it a "meh" rating.

I don't know what planet you're visiting Dorney Park on, but last I checked, it was a HUGE destination for the Philadelphia, Reading, and Allentown residents. Today, the first three hours were great as the park was fairly empty. Possessed and Steel Force were walk-ons, Hydra was 10 minutes, etc. But then...then the busses showed up. Sure, the lines never got stupid long, but the park went from being empty to being moderately crowded with every ride, including the flats, having at decent line. I even went on a stroll through the waterpark and damn near had a panic attack when I saw those lines.

Regardless, you'll still have a fun time. The park isn't cutting edge or anything, but its still a nice place with a bunch of great rides.

Thunderhawk, well...its Thunderhawk. Imagine a wooden coaster that has a lot of potential, but has been squandered due to poor maintenance and one of the worst trim breaks ever conceived. Those final bunny hills would have a ton of airtime if it wasn't for that damn trim! Oh, be careful if you're riding with someone. You could very well smash heads once or five times. Its happened to me.

Having ridden it last year and this year I have to say it has tremendously improved this year. 75% of the ride was re-tracked and besides being slammed twice, it ranks up there with Comet at Hersheypark as far as smoothness goes. It just needs to be painted now.

I don't know what planet you're visiting Dorney Park on, but last I checked, it was a HUGE destination for the Philadelphia, Reading, and Allentown residents. Today, the first three hours were great as the park was fairly empty. Possessed and Steel Force were walk-ons, Hydra was 10 minutes, etc. But then...then the busses showed up. Sure, the lines never got stupid long, but the park went from being empty to being moderately crowded with every ride, including the flats, having at decent line. I even went on a stroll through the waterpark and damn near had a panic attack when I saw those lines.

Today was way more crowded than a normal summer weekday. I couldn't believe how many camp trips there were. I ended up skipping Talon because I wasn't willing to wait 30 minutes after the waterpark closed. I did manage to ride Steel Force twice, Possessed and Dominator from 4:10 to 5:00 and Hydra with a 2 train wait a little after 7:00. The only time to go to the waterpark once school lets out is either at opening or 2 hours before closing (except starting in mid August when it closes at 6 everyday). I was in the waterpark from 5:15 - 7:00 and managed to get 15 slides and 1 lap on the lazy river.

Was at Dorney for the first time ever Saturday so my quick take on the park(only was there for about 4 hours but got in every ride we wanted as lines were dead in the morning):

Pros:

-Talon

-Demon Drop!!!!

-Very clean park and great small park atmosphere even with CF trying to CP the crap out of it

-Water park entrance right at the entrance of the park so crowds stay away from dry rides in early morning which means shorter lines for coaster people like us

Cons

-without a doubt the slowest and worst park entrance system we've ever encountered, it took us 45min to get into the park once we reached the front gate(season pass line anyone?)

-Definatly needs more shade

-Hydra's akwardness

-Pay per ride for a Screamin' Swing!?!

Hydra-5/10- very strange ride from the jo jo roll to the slow crawl into the brake run, will give the ride props for uniqueness and some would like it because it breaks away from the cookie cutter B&M models, but this ride really makes u realize B&M makes good f***ing cookies and they should stick to them

Possessed-9/10- LOVE LOVE LOVE impulses with vertical spikes, missed this ride since we rode it last as Superman

Steel Force-6.9/10- My first Morgan hyper other than Phantoms Revenge and got to say I'm not a fan, helix's don't do it for me, and I guess I was expecting the ejector Magnum air on the return run so a little let down.

Thunderhawk- 8/10- Maybe the suprise of the trip as we didn't expect much but we are woodie people and this thing (although it looks like it is crying with the lack of a paint job since the 60's we'd guess, plus the trim before the last bunnie hill was a boo) this thing had everythign we could want from a good wooden coaster, gave a few very good OMG air pops at the top of it's turn arounds

Demon Drop-12/12- we miss u Demon Drop, you're extreme bliss followed by akward painful clanky landing and flip back to vertical ride experiences are not appreciated over there in PA in the back corner of little Dorney

Talon-10/10- Can't say enough good things about this ride, in the brake run we labeled it our new number 1 invert but time and more reflection will tell, the amazing pacing, low to the ground elements, and lack of a mid course break put it ahead of Montu, Dueling Dragons, and Alpengeist in our book. AMAZING ride, wish we could have had more time to get more laps

Hey hey hey. Do not bag on Hydra. I loved every second of it. I was able to ride it 5 times in the front when I went. Oh and when I rode Thunderhawk, I got off saying that it was on par with Georgia Cycone on roughness. If they retracked it, it already wore off.

You're a dirty liar! I was just at Dorney today and got drenched with cheap shots on the log flume! Seriously, the first half is all nice, but as soon as you get to the turn next to Hydra's exit, prepare for water. First one is a random wave that launches over the left side of the log and soaks your entire left side. The second is another splash over the right side (not too much, though). Third is the waterfall that no loger turns off, and finally the splash at the bottom of the hill, where when you're in line it doesn't look too bad, but in the log you get drenched. Also, the water is quite cold.

I loved it.

I'm sorry that for whatever reason the log flume never soaks me and the waterfall turns off?

Regardless, you'll still have a fun time. The park isn't cutting edge or anything, but its still a nice place with a bunch of great rides.

I dunno, I visited pretty much every two weeks last summer, and never had lines except after the waterpark closed. The parking lot would be packed, I'm not saying it's not a big destination- just that all those people are looking to cool off more than ride coasters and flats. I've only gone twice this year- Saturday of 4th of July weekend had cars in the overflow lot and no lines until around 6PM (waterpark emptying). My trip a week ago was more similar to what you described, so perhaps times are changing... I hope not, I've been so spoiled that I actually won't wait for Hydra or Thunderhawk, and max 15 minutes for anything else.

I'm not willing to wait longer than 10 minutes for anything at Dorney except Talon and Steel Force. I have skipped Thunderhawk a lot this year because it always is running 1 train on the weekdays and has been getting a 20+ minute line a lot of times this season when I have been there.

Not related to that but they just posted Haunt hours that were cut back this year. Now for 4 out of 6 Sunday's the park closes at 8:00 and it is Boo Blast all day with no Haunt attractions open.

-without a doubt the slowest and worst park entrance system we've ever encountered, it took us 45min to get into the park once we reached the front gate(season pass line anyone?)

I agree, they really need to fix this. Not opening up the turnstyles at the entrance until a few minutes after 10:00 causes huge backups. It would be better if they copied Great Adventure and Disney and let you into the front of the park and then have a rope drop.

I agree, they really need to fix this. Not opening up the turnstyles at the entrance until a few minutes after 10:00 causes huge backups. It would be better if they copied Great Adventure and Disney and let you into the front of the park and then have a rope drop.

I know they did something like this last year during my high school Physics Day and had everyone go no farther than the Screamin' Swing at 9:30, then opened the ropes at 10am.

Also:

Demon Drop-12/12- we miss u Demon Drop, you're extreme bliss followed by akward painful clanky landing and flip back to vertical ride experiences are not appreciated over there in PA in the back corner of little Dorney

Yes that brief two seconds of weightlessness is cool, but still. The ride hurts a lot enough to make those seconds not worth a re-ride.

Maybe they change it on days when there are a lot of school trips? If they are able to have a rope drop on those days, they need to have it like that on all days.

I agree about Demon Drop, I rode it once this season and really have no interest in riding it again this year. It really was very painful at the part where you lower from lying down to reversing.

was at the park yesterday evening. Got 2 spins on Talon, 2 on Possessed & 1 on Steel Force, Thunderhawk & Hydra all in about 2 hours, rain started to come down harder so we peaced. I love the ability to go from ride to ride without a wait, while they have a smaller collection of coasters compared to competitors Hershey & Six Flags Great Adventure, they still have quality ones.

While Invertigo is another transfer ride coming, it gives Dorney another coaster to add to it's roster and because SFA's Two Face is gone, it's quite a unique ride (like Possessed) to have in the area as no other parks have those 2 types of coasters, so it's a nice move in my opinion for DP.

It's been nearly a week since I have been to Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom (so sorry for the delay, but I've just got back from my vacation), and I have a few things to write about. I went to Wildwater Kingdom first wearing my water clothes (T-shirt, bathing shorts, and aqua shoes) and it was a good thing I did because within an hour the lines were beginning to fill up. I didn't ride any body slides and their was one type of raft slide ride I couldn't ride due to my weight, but I did go down the Patriot Plunge, the Riptide Rapids, and both of their lazy river ( but get you super wet) rides.

Because I had a T-shirt on (I had on my 'Coaster Hero' T-shirt) and aqua shoes counts as shoes, I didn't need to do any wardrobe changes as I sorjourned from Wildwater Kingdom to Dorney Park. I rode nearly everything I care to ride. At Planet Snoopy, I rode Flying Ace Balloon Race and was saying "Take that, Clementon Park!" You see, Clementon Park had that exact same ride, but the ride attendant there wouldn't let me get on (To this day I still don't know the reason because she couldn't speak English well. It doesn't matter since I won't be returning to that park again ). I was surprised that I was able to ride Sally's Swingset, but I knew that I could ride Linus Launcher and Snoopy's Rocket Ride (My only gripe is that wish the Rocket Ride was much longer and had more turns - this one just took you around in a circle).

Overall, I had a good time.

"Well, overall, I didn't have a good time because you weren't there with me. Then, when you came back all tired and worned out, that's when I had the time of my life."

• 4 weeks later...

Dorney Park officially announces Stinger for 2012!! (former Invertigo at California's Great America)

http://www.dorneypark.com/public/park/rides/roller_coasters/stinger.cfm

Feel your heart pump with adrenaline after experiencing this scorpion's sting! Sit back and find yourself dangling from the scorpion tail seated face-to-face with your friends as you each sit witness to the others terror. You'll scream your face off as you are lifted up a 138-foot lift hill and then released to soar at speeds reaching 55 miles per hour through three inversions both forward and then backward.

untitled.bmp

Dorney Park officially announces Stinger for 2012!! (former Invertigo at California's Great America)

http://www.dorneypark.com/public/park/rides/roller_coasters/stinger.cfm

Feel your heart pump with adrenaline after experiencing this scorpion's sting! Sit back and find yourself dangling from the scorpion tail seated face-to-face with your friends as you each sit witness to the others terror. You'll scream your face off as you are lifted up a 138-foot lift hill and then released to soar at speeds reaching 55 miles per hour through three inversions both forward and then backward.

Isw it just me or is teal & blue fast becoming the new CF "red & yellow"? This makes two coasters with the same color scheme in the chain now....should prove to be a good ride for the park however & proves that any park can have more than one invert(here's hoping KD gets a B&M invert in the future).