TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

P. 131: Disney Wish "Grand Hall" details teased!

Some good and bad changes out of Disney Cruise Line today...

Yay - No smoking allowed on any stateroom balconies! This is great, because sometimes if you get stuck next to a smoker and the smoke wafts over it can be really annoying. Not to mention many cruise ship fires start from people throwing their cigarette butts over railings!

Boo - Shorts will now be allowed in all of the main dining rooms for dinner service...EVEN ON FORMAL NIGHTS!!!! I get that they're attracting a more 'family' crowd, but they don't need to dumb down to Carnival levels!!! What's the point of even having a formal night if you're allowed to wear freakin shorts!?!?!? Ugh.

So its more of a casual night now, lol. Unless of course someone wheres some khaki cargo shorts with a tux top, hahaha.

I actually had a bad experience with the shorts rule on Carnival. I had no formal clothes and was wearing shorts so I wasn't allowed to sit in the main restaurant because of it. I only had shorts because it was a 4 night cruise. I saw plenty of people wearing jeans that night too. My point is I support what Disney is doing about the shorts because I don't believe people should be forced to dress formally when they're on vacation and it just creates more clothes to pack with plenty of cheap ways to get away with the old rules.

I actually didn't eat at Carthay Circle last time I was at DCA because I didn't feel I was presentable in normal theme park attire.

Does Carthay Circle have a "dress code?" If not, that's kind of a dumb reason for not going to the restaurant.

That's the difference between a theme park restaurant, even if it's a "nice" place, and a cruise ship dining room. There has for decades, up until now, been a "dress code" for the cruise ship dining room.

The HUGE difference between eating at a theme park restaurant, and why I feel it's "ok" to come dressed more casually, is that on a cruise ship, your room with your change of clothes is never far away. Whereas at a theme park, even if you're staying on property, it is sometimes quite a haul to get from the park, to your room, change clothes, and back to a park again, and almost as equally as annoying to bring a change of clothes with you to the park.

I have not been on a cruise ship where my change into formal wear was more than a 5 minute walk from wherever I'm currently at on a ship!

That, IMO, is why I feel it's more acceptable to be in casual attire at a nice theme park restaurant.

--Robb "I wouldn't even think of getting dressed up for Carthay Circle! lol" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Is wearing a suit that fit you 20 pounds ago really formal dining? I'd rather they lower the bar to business casual and actually enforce the dress code. I agree that allowing shorts in a formal dining room is a step too far. It's not that much trouble to pack one pair of pants. You can do it and still travel carry-on only.

Yay - No smoking allowed on any stateroom balconies! This is great, because sometimes if you get stuck next to a smoker and the smoke wafts over it can be really annoying. Not to mention many cruise ship fires start from people throwing their cigarette butts over railings!

Boo - Shorts will now be allowed in all of the main dining rooms for dinner service...EVEN ON FORMAL NIGHTS!!!! I get that they're attracting a more 'family' crowd, but they don't need to dumb down to Carnival levels!!! What's the point of even having a formal night if you're allowed to wear freakin shorts!?!?!? Ugh.

So its more of a casual night now, lol. Unless of course someone wheres some khaki cargo shorts with a tux top, hahaha.

I actually had a bad experience with the shorts rule on Carnival. I had no formal clothes and was wearing shorts so I wasn't allowed to sit in the main restaurant because of it. I only had shorts because it was a 4 night cruise. I saw plenty of people wearing jeans that night too. My point is I support what Disney is doing about the shorts because I don't believe people should be forced to dress formally when they're on vacation and it just creates more clothes to pack with plenty of cheap ways to get away with the old rules.

LOL! Figures that support for this would come from a "Carnival" person! I'm sorry, but if you did *ANY* sort of research you would have known to at least pack a pair of pants. It really sucks that this rule is being created because of people like you. The rest of us that actually enjoy cruising for what it has traditionally been for nearly a century is being dumbed down because of people like you. That sucks. Like I said, "Idiocracy."

Yeah, you should probably stick with Carnival.

--Robb "Sounds like you found your PERFECT cruise line!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

^I don't understand why it's "idiocracy" that people want to dress comftorably on vacation. I just believe you should be allowed to dress however you want as long as you're not too revealing or have profanities since you're the one that paid to eat in the main restaurant and you're on VACATION. I believe vacation should be about casualty and comfortness because you have more fun that way and the point of vacations are to relax and have a good time. Formal dressing just makes people uncomftorable and puts extra pressure on them for no reason.

With that said, people should still feel free to dress formally if they WANT to but they shouldn't be forced to.

Cruises are evolving and adapting. People dressed formally for sports games 50 years ago but that eventually stopped too for similar reasons.

Is it dumb to want to dress comftorably? Not to me but yet I've never been a big fan of formal attire.

I believe vacation should be about casualty and comfortness

You are indeed likely to experience the casualty part on a Carnival ship, but you may want to check the definition of that word. It doesn't mean what you seem to think it does based upon the way you used it. As for the "comfortness", since that isn't a word in the English language, you're on your own with that one.

To me, formal night is part of the fun of a cruise. I hate dressing up, but it is fun to be amongst everyone else who also hates dressing up in addition to those who do enjoy dressing up.

For the other nights, I don't think you need to be any less casual than a T-shirt and jeans...which is something even I have done while still drunk from the day in Cabo. It is true that cruises are evolving, but the whole point of the dining room is so you can have a gourmet/fancy dining experience that you would not normally get without paying a fortune (and having to dress nice) at a restaurant.

Dressing up into semi-formal or business casual attire doesn't have to be uncomfortable or vacation ruining. At least to me wearing a pair of slacks or khakis and a dress shirt for an evening isn't all that different in comfort level from cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt or polo all day. I for one look forward to the formal nights and dressing up on my first cruise.

^I don't understand why it's "idiocracy" that people want to dress comftorably on vacation. I just believe you should be allowed to dress however you want as long as you're not too revealing or have profanities since you're the one that paid to eat in the main restaurant and you're on VACATION. I believe vacation should be about casualty and comfortness because you have more fun that way and the point of vacations are to relax and have a good time. Formal dressing just makes people uncomftorable and puts extra pressure on them for no reason.

With that said, people should still feel free to dress formally if they WANT to but they shouldn't be forced to.

Cruises are evolving and adapting. People dressed formally for sports games 50 years ago but that eventually stopped too for similar reasons.

Is it dumb to want to dress comftorably? Not to me but yet I've never been a big fan of formal attire.

You don't get it because you're a Carnival person and that's all that needs to be said.

--Robb "I don't want my experience dumbed down by trashy people." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Norwegian Breakaway has a party literally called "Dress Up Or Not." I watched it on the television in the stateroom (since I accidentally missed it) and they were doing interviews like it was a red carpet event, with people in the background walking in and out of a club (which I couldn't remember which it was). A lot of guys in the background wore anything between a t-shirt, a tank-top, or a button-down shirt, with cargo shorts (no kakis in site). Some girls (especially the ones that were interviewed) wore dresses, and a few mentioned that they were in their prom dresses!

I see that Norwegian is trying to be more lenient in wanting to accommodate guests with the want to dress in their version of "casual," which was probably along the lines of cargo shorts and a t-shirt. But luckily I never really saw anybody in any of their higher-end restaurants wear anything less than a dress, and honestly, you'd probably not be allowed in those restaurants with anything less in quality.

Outside of clothing issues, the ship had a very, very, VERY mixed audience, varying between the classy and possibly rich, the familes with over-excited-and-sometimes-screaming kids, and (quite literally) drunk-out-of-their-mind young adults (I ended up in an elevator with a guy being propped by his parents, before emptying his stomach in front of my shoes; forcing me to exit one floor above my destination...).

And the Kevin Yees of the world rejoice. Speaking of, I can't find his old 2007ish rant about the 'overly formal' DCL dining dress code. His ignorance was entertaining. As I recall, he claimed he didn't read his cruise documents, and only packed t-shirts.

How hard can it be to pack a few dress shirts and a pair of slacks? Klassless.

There's nothing at all wrong with Formal Nights, and I really hope other lines don't dumb then down. I'm not surprised by Klassy Karnival not enforcing dress codes, as the average attendee on one of their death ships is likely not to own anything more formal than an unwashed NASCAR t-shirt. But I really hope this is not a trend that expands beyond their "Wal-Mart Of The Seas" ideology.

And as far as not being able to have fun while dressed up, this is oh so wrong. Our group dinners out here in Baltimore for fine dining are certainly fun, with the waitstaff often remarking things like, "that was the most amusing discussion about medical experiments we've ever heard". We do tip well, of course, in case anyone needs to see a therapist afterwards...

dt

^^ Can't find the article but the (highly entertaining) comments are still available.

http://micechat.com/forums/miceage-discussions/31034-7-13-setting-sail.html

IMO, I think it's kind of chicken shit to remove the article because you got railroaded and called out. I've been called out about stuff I've written and I'd never just try and erase it from existence.

Formal nights will be dead and gone in 10 years. A lot of upscale & boutique lines got rid of them; no reason to believe that Royal Caribbean will hold onto the formal night as their older passengers die when Azamara doesn't do them anymore.

also LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL @ Kevin Yee. Between this and seeing a picture of Al Lutz in a Rascal Scooter today, every negative stereotype I have about this particular breed of theme park expert is met.

Then I'll apologize to Al Lutz for thinking that he ended up in the ranks of scooter people because of a lack of physical maintenance. Unless that's what led to the condition that put him there, in which case, :shrug:

Also the more I read of that thread, the worse it gets. When Yee is defending himself as comparing himself to a first time theater goer expecting a CGI movie spectacular and being disappointed, I get almost physically angry with someone who flaunts being that purposefully and intentionally ignorant. I want to forget that I've ever even heard his name or know of his existence. That's just straight up shameful, like trying to talk down to people because they're literate or have stable lives or something.