TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

P. 131: Disney Wish "Grand Hall" details teased!

Ok, With a lot of things being discounted for future use I think I may take up a cruise. The issue is I have never did one and said I would never so I know nothing about different cruise lines other than Carnival is like a floating walmart. I would like something posh, possibly with out kids. I do like adventure and shows but I think I would rather have those as options as I would probably want to relax. And suggestions on a cruise line?

Celebrity is certainly posh and will have less kids but it skews a little older. You may want to try Royal Caribbean or NCL. Also, try to do a 4 or 7 day cruise as the 3 day cruises tend to attract a more crazy party group of people.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both CCL and RCL stocks have been extremely low.

We bought 1,500 shares of RCL recently, and now just sitting on it until it eventually gets back up to $130(ish) a share.... Then we will be selling!

They got no love in the stimulus package, good luck. If they want money, they are going to have to register the boats here and build them here. The Jones Act is no joke and Viking just figured out how to get boats on Mississippi to comply with it.

www.theguardian.com

Four passengers aboard Zaandam cruise ship dead from flu-like symptoms

Four passengers of the Zaandam cruise ship have died from what appears to be Covid-19, according to the Miami Herald. About 150 passengers on the ship, which is awaiting permission to pass through the Panama Canal, with the end destination of Port Everglades in Florida, have developed flu-like symptoms. Carnival Corp. is the owner of the ship.

The captain of the ship announced the deaths to crew members and passengers Friday afternoon and said that healthy passengers would be evacuated onto a nearby sister ship.

Cruise ships have been a hotbed for the spread of Covid-19, starting with the Diamond Princess, which was quarantined off the coast of Japan in early February and saw more than 700 people onboard infected. At least 25 other cruise ships have seen confirmed cases onboard.

Both CCL and RCL stocks have been extremely low.

We bought 1,500 shares of RCL recently, and now just sitting on it until it eventually gets back up to $130(ish) a share.... Then we will be selling!

They got no love in the stimulus package, good luck. If they want money, they are going to have to register the boats here and build them here. The Jones Act is no joke and Viking just figured out how to get boats on Mississippi to comply with it.

Trump has shown love for Carnival because he is friends with Micky Arison. I would not be the least bit surprised if they come to a compromise and get bailed out...

Just because their ships are registered in another country (to get around a bunch of tax/employment/environmental laws) doesn't mean they don't also employ a ton of Americans. I'm not saying what they do is right, but it doesn't change the fact that they do employ THOUSANDS of Americans all over the country in corporate, call centers, travel agents, etc. Hopefully something is worked out to at least help them a bit.

Just because their ships are registered in another country (to get around a bunch of tax/employment/environmental laws) doesn't mean they don't also employ a ton of Americans. I'm not saying what they do is right, but it doesn't change the fact that they do employ THOUSANDS of Americans all over the country in corporate, call centers, travel agents, etc. Hopefully something is worked out to at least help them a bit.

I mean, I worked for Carnival for 4 years and I only ever saw 5-10 Americans working on the ships, all of which were in the entertainment department. Technicians mostly, sometimes hosts, occasionally dancers. Hosts and dancers were primarily British or Australian. Spa attendants were generally Australian and European. Camp Carnival staff was 99% Eastern European. Deck staff was 100% southeast asian and Pacific Islanders, same for custodial staff. Food service was a mix of everyone except english-speaking countries. Officers were all Italian.

You mentioned the corporate and call centers. Corporate employees were, shockingly, rarely American, as well. Tons of Canadians, British, and Mexicans. I'd say out of all of the shoreside corporate people I interacted with about 10% were born and raised American. All of them LIVE in the country but not all are naturalized citizens. Call centers were mostly outsourced except for high call volume times, as well.

All that being said, I left Carnival back in earl 2013 and never looked back. Things may have changed, but in my experience they certainly don't deserve to be bailed out by our government.

Edit - Also, before things get too political, why don't we all agree that this entire thing is a huge mess that none of us have any way of influencing. Meanwhile Carnival is adding a powered coaster, so let's go back to the ageless debate of "does it count or not?" I say it doesn't, because Carnival can't do anything right.

^I lived next to the GIANT corporate headquarters for Princess in Valencia for 10 years and have friends who work there. There's also a large base in Miami for RCCL. I don't know about Carnival. I said that the ships are all international's.

Many companies may have voluntarily suspended their cruises, but obviously not all. As far as I'm aware there's no federal- or state-mandated restriction on cruises.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/stranded-at-sea-cruise-ships-around-the-world-are-adrift-as-ports-turn-them-away

'Stranded at sea': cruise ships around the world are adrift as ports turn them away

Why are they still sailing though???

The ships that still have passengers on them went out before travel restrictions kicked into high gear throughout the world.

Still ill advised, but not in the full swing of nearly worldwide lockdowns. Zaandam set sail on March 7.

I lived next to the GIANT corporate headquarters for Princess in Valencia for 10 years and have friends who work there. There's also a large base in Miami for RCCL. I don't know about Carnival. I said that the ships are all international's.

Don't all the cruise lines at least have sizable corporate offices somewhere in the U.S.? Plus dock workers, hotels, parking, etc. in the port cities. I have to imagine that the cruise ship industry still has a sizable impact on economies in port cities, hence why I suspect there will be a deal made to bail them out with some strings attached. No way they'll get them to register ships in the U.S., but I can see the deal being a loan with a higher interest rate than what other industries get.

Edited by Jew
  • 8 months later...

It's still open, just not too much to chat about until cruising starts up again. Hopefully soon! We had two that were cancelled so looking forward to using some of that credit. 

3 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Hopefully soon, so I can get more ROI from my Carnival and RCL shares I bought dirt cheap during the market dip...

Should have bought FedEx, lol. The moment they announced they were pulling planes out of the desert to put back in service, I sure did.

Allegiant air was a good one to buy as well. Leasure will be the first thing to bounce back, the legacy air carriers' business model depends way too much on high fare, business and close in travel.

Pure selfishness on my part, I wanted to see the collapse lead to Southwest snatching up Alaska.

Leasurw market is about to get a new player with JetBlue's Founder, David Neeleman's Breeze Air. Has fantastic former C-Series now Airbus A220s on order.

Ironically, we dumped our FedEx earlier in the year, which we had at around $140/share. We made out well on others, so I can't complain. Win some, lose some.

19 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Ironically, we dumped our FedEx earlier in the year, which we had at around $140/share. We made out well on others, so I can't complain. Win some, lose some.

FedEx was dogging it before the pandemic, some of that was unwarranted because the relationship with Amazon was always overstated. Pay close attention to the Walmart/ FedEx relationship. (Walmart was steal in the not too distant past as well)It grows closer by the day.  FedEx will now offer free return pickups of Walmart returns.

I have long been a proponent of FedEx starting a combi fleet offering some passenger service with parcel service as a way to greatly expand same day deliverly service for retailers not named Amazon. Their largest freight hub now has two unused concourses to pull that off.  

Anyhoo, back to cruises. Now with the Trump brokered normalization deals between Isreal and some Middle Eastern states, I wonder when we will see Suez Canal cruises incorporate stops in Israeli going between the Med ports and Dubai/UAE.

Disney Cruise Line has shared a new video teasing new details in the Grand Hall of the Disney Wish.

dclwi09820349823049283320948fi.thumb.jpg.913f348fafdbce0276567e7e64a59bbf.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/12/disney-cruise-line-unwraps-never-before-seen-video-of-its-next-ship-the-disney-wish/

Earlier today, the “Disney Parks Magical Christmas Day Celebration” unpacked a sleigh-full of Disney magic, including a brand-new video of the Disney Wish, which sets sail in summer 2022. 

This never-before-seen digital clip showcases new details of the dazzling Grand Hall and a first look at the stunning character statue at the base of the grand staircase, an iconic Disney princess whose faith in her dreams has inspired generations to believe in the power of their own.

Who is she? You don’t have to wait until the clock strikes midnight to find out…

Inspired by the beauty of a fairytale castle, the Grand Hall makes a bold welcoming statement, setting the tone for an enchanted family vacation from the moment guests step onboard the Disney Wish. It is an idyllic setting for Cinderella, whose timeless story is the perfect example of magic transforming wishes into dreams and dreams into reality – very fitting for a vessel named the Disney Wish, don’t you think?

The Disney Wish is the first of three new ships joining the Disney Cruise Line fleet through 2025. All three ships will be powered by liquefied natural gas and, at approximately 144,000 gross tons and 1,250 guest staterooms, will be slightly larger than the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy. 

Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more updates about the Disney Wish, and check out disneycruise.disney.go.com/why-cruise-disney/wish/ for more ways to stay in-the-know.