TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

P. 131: "Margaritaville at Sea" cruise line announced

In just 12 days, we head out on RCCL's "Liberty of the Seas" with a group of 300 bears, bear family, and bear lovers.

oh, and ~2900 other passengers who aren't part of our group. -- they aren't gonna know what hit em

It's an interesting time for a cruise, as I am in mourning, but one of the very last things Mom told us, is that she was "sorry for screwing up our trip", and that we should go anyways. . . so been burying myself in trip planning (and work, and food, and exercise. . basically anything to take my mind off the grief).

Gonna try my best to have a good time, regardless of circumstances.

Have our outfits laid out for what we already KNOW is planned specifically for the group on this Ship:

White Party (with live entertainment from Ultra Nate)

Red Hat Pool Deck Party

5th Element Disco themed party - followed by late-night disco takeover (RCCL knows we're coming when our "private" disco shuts down).

"all the Singlet Ladies" midnight private pool party.

and that's not even mentioning the Excursions. . and the sight of big ol bears on the Flowrider. . . .

I'm determined to have fun, and will post trip report when we're back if folks are curious.

I'm one of the other 2900 passengers LOL! Less then two weeks to go!

Ultra Nate??? I love her, she will be on the ship the entire time??

I just found out a friend on facebook will also be going on this cruise, he is going with your group!

In just 12 days, we head out on RCCL's "Liberty of the Seas" with a group of 300 bears, bear family, and bear lovers.

oh, and ~2900 other passengers who aren't part of our group. -- they aren't gonna know what hit em

It's an interesting time for a cruise, as I am in mourning, but one of the very last things Mom told us, is that she was "sorry for screwing up our trip", and that we should go anyways. . . so been burying myself in trip planning (and work, and food, and exercise. . basically anything to take my mind off the grief).

Have our outfits laid out for what we already KNOW is planned specifically for the group on this Ship:

Red Hat Pool Deck Party

5th Element Disco themed party - followed by late-night disco takeover (RCCL knows we're coming when our "private" disco shuts down).

and that's not even mentioning the Excursions. . and the sight of big ol bears on the Flowrider. . . .

I'm determined to have fun, and will post trip report when we're back if folks are curious.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is going to be an unforgettable trip. I hope you find the healing and distraction you need. I too would like to see a TR of your cruise. Make sure you get plenty of reaction photos!

I just found out a friend on facebook will also be going on this cruise, he is going with your group!

I believe She IS!

tho her performance (and the meet and greet cocktail party with her the next day are supposedly "Private" for our group.. but if you know someone in the group. . . .. just sayin. . . LOL (never hurts to ask)

Have a great time, Bert...you know that your mother would want this for you.

And yes, we definitely want to see a trip report! Michael's friend belongs to one of the bear groups around Boston and we have heard that they do a lot of fun trips and events together.

^^ We've yet to do any cruise (an Alaska one seems obvious, but still...), so it's lovely to know

you've got one to show to all of us, Bert! But don't let it take up too much..."cruise time"....hmmm?

And this'll be good practice for The Future Non-Road Trip (sort of) coming your way ...... soon?

^^ We've yet to do any cruise (an Alaska one seems obvious, but still...), so it's lovely to know

you've got one to show to all of us, Bert! But don't let it take up too much..."cruise time"....hmmm?

And this'll be good practice for The Future Non-Road Trip (sort of) coming your way ...... soon?

you live in Vancouver and haven't done an Alaska cruise yet?

Bill!

(I'd recommend Celebrity for the Alaska cruises, we had a wonderful time, and the food was amazing)

and note, I'll do a Trip report, but it won't be live, so won't interrupt any of my cruise time

Not paying for any internet or phone service while on this trip.

Thanks Lloyd,

Are you the same Lloyd who ave open a board about Harmony of the Seas on Pinterest ? I follow this board all the time

Sorry about this LATE answer, but yes, that is me.

Of course now I have the Oasis 4 / Code B34 / Unofficial name Symphony of the Seas Pinterest board.

Best photo so far is the aft block with the ship's name on it. People are still wondering if it is official(!!!). So I am waiting to see a photo of the bow section with the same name to 'confirm ' it.

19a93dbb87434ac5cb71a59e1206f806.jpg

Harmony of the Seas' bow section with name...

571559cffd8faa22bea02a658fe26c3e.jpg

We enjoyed our first cruise last week though we didn't get to do a lot of what the ship offered with a 3 and 1 year old. I am looking forward to going when they are older and can kind of do their own thing. Also for myself i'm curious about the Independence of the Seas and attending their 70k tons of metal cruise.

We enjoyed our first cruise last week though we didn't get to do a lot of what the ship offered with a 3 and 1 year old. I am looking forward to going when they are older and can kind of do their own thing. Also for myself i'm curious about the Independence of the Seas and attending their 70k tons of metal cruise.

Funny, I was just going to mention 70k tons of metal. I want to attend next year, but am going to try and play it if possible.

I believe She IS!

tho her performance (and the meet and greet cocktail party with her the next day are supposedly "Private" for our group.. but if you know someone in the group. . . .. just sayin. . . LOL (never hurts to ask)

trip report coming in the next few days. . .

She was on the ship until Roatan. . and actually spent some time chilling by the pool with the group: (that's her on the right)

17022233_197371290747363_6680458498771928163_n.jpg?oh=d673cc7101e8239c01992f6236fa8cab&oe=592D9B2C

her performance was OMG amazing too:

IMG_1301.thumb.JPG.7e39d6bd7d1f3a111a8d6408ee1f0751.JPG

Red Hat Pool Deck Party

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is going to be an unforgettable trip. I hope you find the healing and distraction you need. I too would like to see a TR of your cruise. Make sure you get plenty of reaction photos!

Truth be told, I didn't get many reaction shots, because for the most part, folks WANTED to hang out with the group.

oh sure, there were those that stood on deck 13 over the pool and gawked and took pics, but after the 2nd day, that really died down. . and funnily enough, those that did come back over and over, were straight couples, where the guys kept stealing glances down at our group

there was one very sweet old lady who asked us if "ladies are allowed in the pool".. . LOL. . lemme tell you, when a bunch of bears get into a pool? the water level goes WAY up. .we couldn't touch bottom most days!

really, the only complaints I heard, were people bitching to the ship employees that Studio B was in use for our group a couple of night. . not sure why that was a complaint tho, as the Ice Skating was open a couple of times during the day, and they did use Studio B for the ice show one evening.

but I'll try to get a trip report up by weekend.

we did have a wonderful time. .tho got a bit of cruise ship crud now. . . . so resting a lot.

and only broke down once (in Cozumel, in the chocolate shop, when I came across the chocolate soaps, and memories of Mom hit me hard, since I always brought her back weird soaps from our trips. . so upside is we left quickly without buying chocolate)

we DID all wear Mom's red hats, and toasted her with MaiTai's at the pool. .and a dear friend made us both pins, that we put on our Lanyards, so Mom was with us the whole cruise

^ I'm sure you got a shot (or more?) of you in those red hats of your mom's?

That was an awesome way to honor your mother, Bert. Very nice and fun.

us and our friends in Mom's Hats:

IMG_1326.thumb.JPG.4baf41fd7379536e6c65a735b40c2ec3.JPG

Nick and I by the pool - toasting w/ a mai tai

His is a cowboy hat covered in rhinestone sparkles, and mine is a felt tie under the chin deal.

IMG_1332.thumb.JPG.a78e8ef89a863a1a3569da9c68367e98.JPG

Our Friend Marcella in Mom's Taffeta piece

IMG_1333.thumb.JPG.b52e346e4c46b6d4a2ca430c6aa66e01.JPG

Marce's Hubby Neal wearing Mom's glitter cap

IMG_1335.thumb.JPG.f2fa6535d0638cf299f5d275b40e9e7a.JPG

Anjeanne in Mom's 70's vinyl DY-NO-MYTE hat

IMG_1346.thumb.JPG.0d472e56d3d4f3e46b740e8ed80bf1db.JPG

in Johnny Rocket's getting lunch

you can see the pin of Mom on Nick's lanyard..it's from her wedding photo.

Edited by bert425

^ While it's a very large ship, but I'm surprised we didn't see each other (you don't look familiar to me).

We kept running into many folks who weren't part of the "bear" group, but kept seeing them on the ship.

did you see our group? I assume you did if you went to the Adult pool or adult Hot Tubs

I'm still fighting Cruise Crud, and spent most of day in bed today, hence my goal of having trip report up by weekend.

I will say that overall I very much enjoyed the ship, but there were 3 areas that needed definite improvement:

1) the food in the main dining room was surprisingly mediocre.

Oh, it wasn't *bad*, but it wasn't GREAT either. . and several things they had listed were not as advertised, mainly deserts (that wasn't a creme brulee, that was flan, and that wasn't a Frozen Strawberry Souffle', that was mousse. . and that absolutely wasn't Baked Alaska. . I realize they are cooking for thousands of folks, but that was a slice of ice cream cake, with marshmallow topping. . . ew).

I'm guessing it was to "push" guests towards the upcharge restaurants, and to be fair, both Givonni's Table, and Chops were EXCELLENT (the Mexican place, not so much, tho the Margaritas and fresh Guac was good).

2) speaking of upcharge restaurants, we ate at Johnny Rockets twice, and both times it took nearly 2 hours. . . once when we were in port, and there were LITERALLY 3 other folks there. We complained, and were told "this is the experience Guests want". . . um. . no, we wanted a burger and shakes. The sides come out immediately, and the shakes about 30 minutes later, then, seriously almost an hour later for the burgers. I guess they wan't you to not feel ripped off that you are paying $12 for a milkshak ($6.75 cover, and $5 for the shake). . . but yeah, we didn't bother going back after the 2nd time.

and

3) The Cruise Director.

I don't want to imply any kind of bias. . but he seemed *extremely* uninterested in our group. To the point that he never came by to ANY of our functions to even say hello.

When our group is 320+ people, and were renting out Studio B (twice) for evening parties, taking over Star Lounge (3 times) for meet and greets, and heck, even having the Helipad roped off for us so we could get a picture?

He damn sure SHOULD have stopped by and greeted us.

*that* annoyed me.

anyways.. those are minor things in the scheme of things. . and again, hope to have the trip report up in the next few days once I'm feeling better.

17021412_1642018869427199_6159382883370412141_n.thumb.jpg.f1196585e00b3a9ff6e9a1398bc592a4.jpg

Helipad pic. . we're in the front, right over the "F" in woof. . I'm in green w/ my arm around Nick.

IMG_1584.thumb.JPG.c6cb135772a374dc784bd96cff5126d9.JPG

3) The Cruise Director.

I don't want to imply any kind of bias. . but he seemed *extremely* uninterested in our group. To the point that he never came by to ANY of our functions to even say hello.

When our group is 320+ people, and were renting out Studio B (twice) for evening parties, taking over Star Lounge (3 times) for meet and greets, and heck, even having the Helipad roped off for us so we could get a picture?

He damn sure SHOULD have stopped by and greeted us.

*that* annoyed me.

Wait...they had a male cruise director that wasn't gay?

Or maybe he was, but he was into twinks versus bears?

That's almost like having a straight steward on an airplane flight.