TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Holy sh*t! I can only imagine the speed of that slide!

MIAMI, December 15, 2015 – Royal Caribbean International today reveals the highly-anticipated first look of The Ultimate Abyss, the tallest slide on the high seas, which will intimidate the bravest of guests and challenge them to prove their courage from onboard Harmony of the Seas when she debuts in May 2016. Towering more than 150 feet above sea level, overlooking the AquaTheater at the aft of the ship, the pair of side-by-side slides will release adrenalin-seeking travelers into a chilling 100 foot drop that twists and turns in a serpentine-like movement as they slide nine miles an hour, approximately. . .

That sure would be one hell of a turbo water slide. But alas, water is not needed.

Another construction photo of the view from the Ultimate Abyss' launch area up on edge of deck 16.

Below is the pool (presently covered) and diving platfotms of the AquaTheater on deck 6. The slides' exit areas are slightly forward of this spot, on the Harmony of the Seas' Boardwalk.

8a23b7027a6053942c06148507b42937.jpg

That's a pretty incredible view from the balcony! Scary thinking there's going to be a slide coming down from there, but also equally exciting!

I just booked a trip on Norwegian Breakaway, 7 day sailing from NYC to Bermuda and stays in port for three days there. This will be my first NCL cruise. Have any of you been on NCL or specifically the Breakaway? Any insight or tips that we should know of? Thanks!

I was on the Norwegian Pearl in November for a theme cruise. It was excellent and I wouldn't hesitate to go with Norwegian again. That said, I found their website to be an absolute pain, having to reset my username and password several times, plus there were a lot of miscommunications between Norwegian and our charter company (On The Boat) about the service charges, drink plans, etc. I was a first timer so that was a little nerve-wrecking, but as I stated, once I actually got to the port everything was fine. We did have bad weather and had to reschedule concerts (I was on a music cruise) and missed Grand Stirrup Cay altogether (we got Nassau instead, I was not impressed). Even with that happening, the ship itself was really nice, the crew friendly and I loved the food- I did one specialty- Le Bistro. I mostly ate in the buffet due to the concert schedules, and the crew had a special late night buffet for concerts ending after midnight. We had an after-hours jam party every night- the last night the crew brought trays of snacks and sandwiches in where we were gathered.

THe man thing I remember about navigation oh my ship- on the carpet, the fish swim forward where the cabins are at . If you get turned around, that made it easy to retrace my steps and correct course if I needed. Hope you have fun!

From the following link: Costa Concordia: Huffington Post

Four years after the Costa Concordia cruise ship capsized off the Italian coast, stunning images taken by photographer Jonathan Danko Kielkowski give a rare look inside the wreckage.

On Jan 13, 2012, the Costa Concordia struck a submerged rock on its way around the Mediterranean Sea and sank near the island of Giglio. The tragedy claimed the lives of 32 people. Captain Francesco Schettino, who left the ship while it sank, was later found guilty of 32 counts of manslaughter and sentenced to 16 years in prison.

The Costa Concordia wreck was towed to its final resting place in the Italian port of Genoa in July 2014, where it will eventually be dismantled. Photographer Kielkowski, who's based in Germany, swam out to the wreckage in to document the scenes of the abandoned ship's once-buzzing rooms. The images are featured in his new book "Concordia," published by White Press.

"The wrecked Cruise Ship is visible and attracts me like a magnet, so I finally venture to swim across," Kielkowski writes in his book. "Against all odds, I find the shipwreck freely accessible — neither fences nor security personnel! Rather, the doors are open, lights are turned on, no man can be seen—nothing in the way to document…"

56a648941a00001001ab140b.jpeg.6227d7885ba1d950a640fdb671fb00a4.jpeg

56a648941a00002d00ab140a.jpeg.b57238f4fc9408560ca217e3ebbf4bd6.jpeg

56a648941f0000500021698a.jpeg.7b90c3cc3e18eef7e44b7081659a956b.jpeg

56a648941f00007f00216989.jpeg.0a3c3a5e4bf2925095bc994c97b4325b.jpeg

56a648942a00002c0003133a.jpeg.3c7b335dfaf227492b676376754c4a13.jpeg

56a648942a00002c0003133b.jpeg.004dcd40c1ba731c182510cf3bf88322.jpeg

56a648951a00002d00ab140c.jpeg.27ed16838f7059cb978e9b0801eb3cc8.jpeg

56a648951f00007f0021698b.jpeg.41daa7e5751168317d01662ccee42bda.jpeg

56a648952a00002c0003133d.jpeg.5221dc0d892fc37f08d0d9632e17cee1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Royal Caribbeans Anthem of the Seas had a rough day yesterday. After leaving from NJ the sailed into a winter storm with hurricane force winds over 100 mph and waves over 30ft. Some reports are saying 50+ft waves and 150mp winds. They had to hold their position and just try to stay facing the winds for several hours. Looks like a fair amount of cosmetic damage throughout the ship but hopefully the mechanical systems are all undamaged. A few reported health emergencies (heart attacks). They cancelled the cruise and headed back to NJ.

This thread has several people who were on the ship documenting the experience as it progressed: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312327

USA Today article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2016/02/08/anthem-cruise-ship-storm/79997114/#

Here I have something a bit different for you This is a virtual tour of the Norwegian ferry company "Color Line`s" MV "Color Fantasy". It is a overnight ferry that goes from "Oslo" in Norway to "Kiel" in Germany. As you can see the ferry is inspired by RCCL`s freedom class vessels though i think these ferries are even nicer

Virtual tour

The "Royal Promenade" concept was first used on another Norwegian ferry, the "Silja Symphony", which was built at Masa Yards back in 1991. Royal Caribbean's "Voyager" class, and later "Freedom" and "Oasis"* classes, all had Royal Promenades inspired by the Silja ships, and were also built at Masa Yards (although Masa was bought out and changed their name to Aker Yards while Freedom of the Seas was being built). Not surprisingly, the Color Line ships with the promenade were also built at Masa/Aker Yards.

*To be technical, the second two Oasis-class ships aren't being built at the same shipyard. Aker yards was purchased by a Korean company called STX while Oasis of the Seas was being built, and STX owned it when Allure was built. When it came time to build the next two, STX couldn't get the Finnish government to give them a subsidized loan, so they moved construction of the new Oasis-class ships to another shipyard they owned in France (and got a nice loan from the French government). Presumably STX still owns whatever patents or trade secrets are involved in building ships with a large internal promenade so they can move the construction around as they see fit.

Here I have something a bit different for you This is a virtual tour of the Norwegian ferry company "Color Line`s" MV "Color Fantasy". It is a overnight ferry that goes from "Oslo" in Norway to "Kiel" in Germany. As you can see the ferry is inspired by RCCL`s freedom class vessels though i think these ferries are even nicer

Virtual tour

The "Royal Promenade" concept was first used on another Norwegian ferry, the "Silja Symphony", which was built at Masa Yards back in 1991. Royal Caribbean's "Voyager" class, and later "Freedom" and "Oasis"* classes, all had Royal Promenades inspired by the Silja ships, and were also built at Masa Yards (although Masa was bought out and changed their name to Aker Yards while Freedom of the Seas was being built). Not surprisingly, the Color Line ships with the promenade were also built at Masa/Aker Yards.

*To be technical, the second two Oasis-class ships aren't being built at the same shipyard. Aker yards was purchased by a Korean company called STX while Oasis of the Seas was being built, and STX owned it when Allure was built. When it came time to build the next two, STX couldn't get the Finnish government to give them a subsidized loan, so they moved construction of the new Oasis-class ships to another shipyard they owned in France (and got a nice loan from the French government). Presumably STX still owns whatever patents or trade secrets are involved in building ships with a large internal promenade so they can move the construction around as they see fit.

Actually "Silja Symphony" is Sweedish But yes you are right "Silja Symphony" and her sistership "Silja Serenade" was the first ships with inndoor promenade decks, unless you count the gigantic 3 deck high ballroom onboard the SS "Normandie" as a promenade

The two presently-active Royal Caribbean Oasis Class cruise ships (the largest cruise ship class on Earth) Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas each have a brand-new wood-carved carousel for passengers to ride. They were made by Carousel Works from Mansfield, Ohio, which is pretty much the only currently-active company on Earth (afaik) that still makes entire brand-new wood-carved carousels. Attached is the one on Allure of the Seas.

1.jpg.a1a24d0f0e55d4c8dd4ffccd4cbb6fde.jpg

The two presently-active Royal Caribbean Oasis Class cruise ships (the largest cruise ship class on Earth) Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas each have a brand-new wood-carved carousel for passengers to ride. They were made by Carousel Works from Mansfield, Ohio, which is pretty much the only currently-active company on Earth (afaik) that still makes entire brand-new wood-carved carousels. Attached is the one on Allure of the Seas.

The Harmony of the Seas' unassembled carousel is being delivered this month to the STX France shipyard. It will be assembled in March.

Journalists visited the Harmony of the Seas last week and took some photos of the ship, including the Boardwalk neighborhood, where the carousel will make its home. Right now, the base await the carousel delivery.

b211c8597382097aa1ff2aeeff0e4e8d.jpg

b04cdf928bfea2994f126240eb745917.jpg

1f0f308173af77060c5c603890338658.jpg

3a3d4b26a63918ffd3a7072a612e2276.jpg

d513f83c502aedd70996583c8a57189a.jpg

Thanks Lloyd,

Are you the same Lloyd who ave open a board about Harmony of the Seas on Pinterest ? I follow this board all the time

Oui.

You live in Saint-Nazaire? You are fortunate to be able to get see the Harmony and Oasis 4, yes?

People have been waiting to see construction of the Ultimate Abyss slides begin to find out that it will happen in April. Must be patient.

Meanwhile the Perfect Storm water slides are looking good. Almost done.

580884e3fce0bd75962377747c015dd7.jpg