TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

P. 131: "Margaritaville at Sea" cruise line announced

This story is just crazy...

http://www.wxyz.com/news/national/swfl-couple-shows-video-of-bloody-mystery-on-carnival-cruise-ship

It was like a scene out of the shining. A carnival employee dies while working on an elevator and blood is seen flowing out of the elevator.

That's crazy. All the more reason you won't find us on a Carnival Cruise!

My thoughts are with the victims family.

My Sister and her husband are going on a Royal Caribbean cruise in May out of Galveston on the Liberty of the Seas. What are some recommended shore excursions for Roatan, Honduras, and Belize City, Belize? They've been to Cozumel, so they're good there but the other places I couldn't help them with. Figured someone here would know!

we just booked this same cruise, on the same ship for 2017. .

(it's gonna be with a big group of bears ). . .

so I'm interested too! (tho I'm sure the group will have functions for us to attend).

^WTF!?!?? How has this not made bigger news!! That is horrifying on so many levels.

Agreed!

I'm betting this will actually break big, once the Media stops focusing on some other things today.

^WTF!?!?? How has this not made bigger news!! That is horrifying on so many levels.

Agreed!

I'm betting this will actually break big, once the Media stops focusing on some other things today.

Not sure.

They keep playing the whole race war thing right now, and tomorrow it will be what crazy crap Donald Trump said.

Going on Anthem of the Seas, the newest RCI ship in March, out of Cape Liberty. Any recommendations on things to do?

The ship is awesome! Make sure to sign up ahead of time (like now!) online for as much as you can (food, entertainment, activities). That way once you're on board you can do standby as well as have your reservations and not have to worry or freak out like so many do. Also, for any activities that don't have pre-signups make sure to line up early to guarantee a spot or come right at the end of the activity.

My Sister and her husband are going on a Royal Caribbean cruise in May out of Galveston on the Liberty of the Seas. What are some recommended shore excursions for Roatan, Honduras, and Belize City, Belize? They've been to Cozumel, so they're good there but the other places I couldn't help them with. Figured someone here would know!

so I'm interested too! (tho I'm sure the group will have functions for us to attend).

I'm not a big fan of the majority of Caribbean port excursions. All of these ports have very similar activities it just depends on what you want to do. Belize is a tender port so I usually stay on the boat. It's a pretty long tender as well. If you're a SCUBA person, Belize is one of the top destinations in the world. Up there with Great Barrier Reef. Other options are all very similar to other ports with the exception of Cave Tubing. Honduras is a dock so you can do what you want. Mostly same old excursions.

^^^ He probably just stole the answer from Mulder and Scully. But seriously though WTF? Next thing you know people are going to start hallucinating and seeing creepy twins.

Ahem! Mulder and Scully stole from Kolchak.

^Didn't Kolchack even reprise his roll on one episode of the X-Files?

Speaking of X-Files, isn't this the Cruise Ship thread?

McGavin appeared on X Files, but not as Kolchalk; however, the Kolchak series did help inspire the creation of X Files.

As for why Kolchak is in this thread, start here: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1659763#p1659763.

I'm not a big fan of the majority of Caribbean port excursions. All of these ports have very similar activities it just depends on what you want to do. Belize is a tender port so I usually stay on the boat. It's a pretty long tender as well. If you're a SCUBA person, Belize is one of the top destinations in the world. Up there with Great Barrier Reef. Other options are all very similar to other ports with the exception of Cave Tubing. Honduras is a dock so you can do what you want. Mostly same old excursions.

Thanks for the info! I'lll let them know.

Chiming in on the Carnival blood waterfall -

Having first hand experience with Carnival's level of professionalism (worked for those pricks for 4 years), this doesn't surprise me at all. Lock out tag out was hardly, if ever, used on the ships. I was the only person in the entertainment department that ever actually applied it, to my knowledge. Too many times would I enter a space to see someone crawling around under lifts or turntables on the stage with everything fully powered up, no signs saying they were inches from death. Literally anyone (no locks on the backstage doors) could walk to the backup control panel and hit a button and stuff would be able to move.

Hell, once during a dry dock I was walking through the elevator bank only to hear a ding, see the door open to an empty shaft and see an electrician swing down through the door from above and walk away, leaving the door wide open with a 50-foot drop to death. Oh, and was the electrician working in the shaft wearing a harness for fall protection? Nope.

Honestly I'm surprised we haven't seen more stories like this.

^ Even MORE reasons you will never catch us on a Carnival Cruise.

"Welcome to Carnival Cruise... A really crappy cruise line, with the added bonus: 'Chance of seeing another human die while you are on board...' We hope you enjoy your cruise."

... No thank you.

Having first hand experience with Carnival's level of professionalism (worked for those pricks for 4 years), this doesn't surprise me at all. Lock out tag out was hardly, if ever, used on the ships. I was the only person in the entertainment department that ever actually applied it, to my knowledge. Too many times would I enter a space to see someone crawling around under lifts or turntables on the stage with everything fully powered up, no signs saying they were inches from death. Literally anyone (no locks on the backstage doors) could walk to the backup control panel and hit a button and stuff would be able to move.

Hell, once during a dry dock I was walking through the elevator bank only to hear a ding, see the door open to an empty shaft and see an electrician swing down through the door from above and walk away, leaving the door wide open with a 50-foot drop to death. Oh, and was the electrician working in the shaft wearing a harness for fall protection? Nope.

It's reading stuff like this that makes me glad we do have OSHA...that is some scary stuff!

All I could think of when I first read the article from a local news station this weekend was Slayers Raining Blood. The article mentioned that it was like a thunderstorm with blood raining down. Which thunder happens to be at the beginning of the song.

I feel bad for all of the families involved in the incident. I am also surprised news stations have showed as much as they have with the video and pictures.

[youtu_be]https://youtu.be/Wnn47V09Q2M[/youtu_be]

It's reading stuff like this that makes me glad we do have OSHA...that is some scary stuff!

It's really amazing that OSHA hasn't shut them down (or severely fined them) if this is the type of stuff that has been happening!

Our factory has ZERO tolerance for not using Lock-Out/Tag-Out or utilizing Confined Space training. If you get caught not following the rules, you get fired...and I have seen it happen more than once.

Not to mention it getting pounded into our heads repeatedly during our monthly safety meetings.

^Excellent point, Joey...I never even thought about that.

That makes it even scarier to know that if they are not following simple lock-out procedures, what else are they cutting corners on?

Oh wait, this is Carnival...never mind. I should already know the answer to that question!

Edited by Philrad71