TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

I appreciate all of your comments. I probably should have mentioned that when I travel I don't like to stay in one place for too long. I went to Mt. Rushmore and I was bored after 30 minutes. I'm the type that likes to do some sort of activity while in a new place. I can't just sit on the beach all day.

I think the most realistic cruise for me (right now) is a Caribbean cruise, just because they can be so cheap and they're places I haven't been to. From what you guys are saying it seems like this is comparable to someone new to coasters wanting to go to Cedar Point even though they've been told by others that there are other parks with better rides. I do have a very large interest in going to Labadee, Haiti, because of the fact that it's the only way I'd ever go to Haiti and because they have an Alpine Coaster (which I am a huge fan of). However, I wouldn't do a three day cruise that went from Florida to Haiti and back, because that's just a waste. I found a really cool cruise out of Baltimore on December 27th. It's 12 days and goes to Haiti, Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and British Virgin Islands. $700, but the ship doesn't look all that great. The ship has enough to keep me busy, but wouldn't be as sweet as Oasis obviously.

The chances of me doing this cruise are very slim, because the timing doesn't seem to work out well for my family and my girlfriend and Iwe would not go by ourselves. Let me know what you think of this idea and if it's even worth it.

Thanks everyone

Edited by sixflagsguy5

@Shepp.. If you are looking to experience a place from the eyes of the locals on a cruise all you have to do is not book an excursion and just pay a taxi driver 50-60 US to show you the real island.. I've done this at multiple ports that I had visited previously and it was a great way to get the "authentic" experience. Note- The authentic experience sucks for most vacationers and personally I'd rather be on a quad excursion than viewing poverty.

@Hockeyman55.. I was 15 in the mid 90's on the SS Norway (5 Times just on that ship alone in my teens) and it was great.. We'll the girls were great at least and the drinking age was 18 until the early 2000's .. Vacations are what you make of them.. I loved that ship.. Still friends with some of the people I met over a decade ago.

^^ There is nothing wrong with a Caribbean cruise at all. It just depends what you want on your vacation. Just out of curiosity - why did you look at sailing out of Baltimore? Flights down to Fort Lauderdale where the options are much more varied are probably about the same as flying to Baltimore. Also - you don't have to deal with a full day or two of being cold until you get to the Bahamas!

^ There are actually some pretty cheap cruises out of Fort Lauderdale for the end of December. It would be a 7 day but on a much newer ship. That being said, Enchantment of the Seas (which I am assuming you are talking about) is actually a really nice ship. I sailed on her a few years ago (pre stretching) and really enjoyed myself. Could you possibly go earlier in December? Dirt cheap deals then...

Yes, it is on Enchantment of the Seas. I really liked the idea of doing a Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Labadee cruise leaving Dec 26th, 7 night RC. Unfortunately that is $1400 a person, which wouldn't work for the rest of my family. Also, early December wouldn't work (although that would be the perfect time to go), because I used all of my vacation days to go to Nova Scotia and Mexico this summer.

Oh nice! What did you get, the D3100? Cannot wait to see the pictures!! I am a Nikon fan myself! Have fun on your trip!!

I cannot wait to get my butt on a cruise. I was actually looking at Sept. 2011 on Carnival Destiny. The route was perfect. Only problem is why is that the only one of its size? Makes me nervous. lol. No, but really - I actually decided to work on my 2012 Cali trip instead. One day I will cruise... Until then, you all will have to keep posting your reports and pictures, and maybe it can help decide where I want to go!

Just a quick note to tell you how amazing my first cruise ever was. I cruised for one week in the MEditerrannean Sea: Marseilles, Genova, Napoli, Pompeï, Palermo, Tunis, Mallorca, Barcelona. I was actually invited by my parents who wanted to do a family trip with the kids and grandkids. I'll never be able to thank them enouygh to make me discover something I was not that much attracted to at first. But really, it exceeded all expectations. Incredible Ship (MSC Croisières, boat was MSC Fantasia, which is one of the largest and most luxurious in the world). Organization is top notch, food is delicious, staff friendly (but sometimes hard to communicate with, even if I speak 4 languages !) Shows were magical and very professional (acrobats, MJ impersonators, circus artists, Music Hall) bars more than you can use, live music everywhere, nice club (clubbing everynight) incredible infrastructures. Too many great things to list. Highlights were Pompeï where we REALLY escaped a lil' catastrophe ! Tunis was very relaxing, Mallorca and Cuevas del Drago (Dragon's Caves) in the lil' coast town of Porto Christi, and of course the city of Barcelona, with which I have always been in love. I'll probably post some pictures but you may have an overview on my FB page. in a nutshell: MSC Fantasia was absolutely amazing and I can't wait to do it all again !

^^ It would be amazing if you post some photos of the MSC ship in this thread! We don't see them very much over here and it would be interesting to see the differences.

^ The QM2 is an amazing ship! One of these days I should post some photos from when I sailed on her.

...and here is my vlog from the first day, which goes more into depth about the transportation problems. It was no Disney's Magical Express, I'll tell you that much!

Overall, I truly enjoyed the experience, and the entire vacation package we booked from the "Way More Than A Cruise" websight. It included the cruise, 3 nights and 4 days at Universal in Orlando, and all transfers and transportation. I will definitely cruise again, but would pick a different itinerary with more stops. At first, I thought the ship was going to be old, tired, and out dated, but it was actually really quite nice. I like to compare it to an old limousine who's owner has taken really good care of it. The deco and stuff is kind of out dated, but it still looks great and it was MUCH bigger than it looks in pictures.

There are many more videos from the cruise coming soon, including how we ACCIDENTALLY snuck into the Atlantis resort without paying a thing. It truly happened by accident!

For those of you who want to see my MSC Fantasia pics, you can view my Facebook Album, which can be viewed by my friends' friends. I assume everyone here is probably friend with Robb or TPR, so you should access my album easily. Tell me if it works. My name is Olivier Waleckx. Here is the link http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/album.php?aid=247124&id=626814153

^The fact that they're now towing the boat to Ensenada is not a good sign about your cruise next week. I hope they get everything fixed, but check their website multiple times a day cause when they announce something you'll want to call in fast to see what you can do.

That being said, I swear Carnival just does not have the upkeep that RCI and some of the other lines have. How many of these 'minor' incidents have they had lately?!! They're always hitting other ships, docks, catching fire...not impressed!

Edited by SharkTums

Oh Carnival...

Here is the latest update. It does not look good for your cruise at all. Let us know what Carnival offers you for compensation!

Carnival says it plans to terminate the current voyage of the Splendor as soon as the vessel can reach a port. The ship remains dead in the water off the coast of Mexico, and the line says the ship's crew still is working to restore power.

"If power is restored, the ship will return to its home port of Long Beach, Calif. under its own power," the line says in a new statement. "However, arrangements for tugboats have been made so that, in the event power is not restored, the ship will be returned to a port with tugboat assistance."

Carnival says the U.S. Coast Guard has dispatched a vessel and an aircraft to the ship's location.