TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Many companies may have voluntarily suspended their cruises, but obviously not all. As far as I'm aware there's no federal- or state-mandated restriction on cruises.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/stranded-at-sea-cruise-ships-around-the-world-are-adrift-as-ports-turn-them-away

'Stranded at sea': cruise ships around the world are adrift as ports turn them away

Why are they still sailing though???

The ships that still have passengers on them went out before travel restrictions kicked into high gear throughout the world.

Still ill advised, but not in the full swing of nearly worldwide lockdowns. Zaandam set sail on March 7.

I lived next to the GIANT corporate headquarters for Princess in Valencia for 10 years and have friends who work there. There's also a large base in Miami for RCCL. I don't know about Carnival. I said that the ships are all international's.

Don't all the cruise lines at least have sizable corporate offices somewhere in the U.S.? Plus dock workers, hotels, parking, etc. in the port cities. I have to imagine that the cruise ship industry still has a sizable impact on economies in port cities, hence why I suspect there will be a deal made to bail them out with some strings attached. No way they'll get them to register ships in the U.S., but I can see the deal being a loan with a higher interest rate than what other industries get.

Edited by Jew

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Hopefully soon, so I can get more ROI from my Carnival and RCL shares I bought dirt cheap during the market dip...

Should have bought FedEx, lol. The moment they announced they were pulling planes out of the desert to put back in service, I sure did.

Allegiant air was a good one to buy as well. Leasure will be the first thing to bounce back, the legacy air carriers' business model depends way too much on high fare, business and close in travel.

Pure selfishness on my part, I wanted to see the collapse lead to Southwest snatching up Alaska.

Leasurw market is about to get a new player with JetBlue's Founder, David Neeleman's Breeze Air. Has fantastic former C-Series now Airbus A220s on order.

19 hours ago, prozach626 said:

Ironically, we dumped our FedEx earlier in the year, which we had at around $140/share. We made out well on others, so I can't complain. Win some, lose some.

FedEx was dogging it before the pandemic, some of that was unwarranted because the relationship with Amazon was always overstated. Pay close attention to the Walmart/ FedEx relationship. (Walmart was steal in the not too distant past as well)It grows closer by the day.  FedEx will now offer free return pickups of Walmart returns.

I have long been a proponent of FedEx starting a combi fleet offering some passenger service with parcel service as a way to greatly expand same day deliverly service for retailers not named Amazon. Their largest freight hub now has two unused concourses to pull that off.  

Anyhoo, back to cruises. Now with the Trump brokered normalization deals between Isreal and some Middle Eastern states, I wonder when we will see Suez Canal cruises incorporate stops in Israeli going between the Med ports and Dubai/UAE.

Disney Cruise Line has shared a new video teasing new details in the Grand Hall of the Disney Wish.

dclwi09820349823049283320948fi.thumb.jpg.913f348fafdbce0276567e7e64a59bbf.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2020/12/disney-cruise-line-unwraps-never-before-seen-video-of-its-next-ship-the-disney-wish/

Earlier today, the “Disney Parks Magical Christmas Day Celebration” unpacked a sleigh-full of Disney magic, including a brand-new video of the Disney Wish, which sets sail in summer 2022. 

This never-before-seen digital clip showcases new details of the dazzling Grand Hall and a first look at the stunning character statue at the base of the grand staircase, an iconic Disney princess whose faith in her dreams has inspired generations to believe in the power of their own.

Who is she? You don’t have to wait until the clock strikes midnight to find out…

Inspired by the beauty of a fairytale castle, the Grand Hall makes a bold welcoming statement, setting the tone for an enchanted family vacation from the moment guests step onboard the Disney Wish. It is an idyllic setting for Cinderella, whose timeless story is the perfect example of magic transforming wishes into dreams and dreams into reality – very fitting for a vessel named the Disney Wish, don’t you think?

The Disney Wish is the first of three new ships joining the Disney Cruise Line fleet through 2025. All three ships will be powered by liquefied natural gas and, at approximately 144,000 gross tons and 1,250 guest staterooms, will be slightly larger than the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy. 

Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more updates about the Disney Wish, and check out disneycruise.disney.go.com/why-cruise-disney/wish/ for more ways to stay in-the-know.

On 12/21/2020 at 4:09 AM, bethyyy said:

Is this thread still open? Was hoping to get in touch with some of my fellow cruise enthusiasts

We are huge cruise enthusiast! Looking forward to things returning to "normal" so we can get back to sailing!

• 2 months later...

This Summer, Set Sail on a Unique Disney Staycation at Sea Aboard 2-, 3- and Limited 4-Night Cruises from the UK

Departing on select dates from London Tilbury, Newcastle, Liverpool and Southampton aboard the Disney Magic, our new staycation sailings—exclusive to UK residents—invite you to embark on a brand-new, magical Disney experience. Close to home and at sea—be immersed in Disney storytelling, thanks to an amazing collection of onboard entertainment, dining and recreation for the entire family, with all the care you’d expect from Disney. Check back soon for more details

Source

I really like this idea. My wife and I have always wanted to try a cruise mainly to relax and for the food. Feels almost like a starter pack for people who aren't too sure about the cost of doing a cruise would be a great cheap alternative for us to do a very short 2 days before deciding if we really want to experience one of the longer packages once corona is over.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 6:34 PM, Nrthwnd said:

"First roller coaster at sea is set to sail with Carnival Cruise Line"

-Attractions Magazine

Klassy. 🛳️

It’s not even a “real” roller coaster. It’s a powered thingy. 😂☠️😩

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2021 at 5:11 PM, SharkTums said:

We posted a video about this when it was announced that includes a full pot and off ride of the actual coaster this is based on from Skyline Park.

Carnival is charging $15 for one time around the track, which takes 15 to 20 seconds. That's way overpriced.

• 4 months later...

My wife and I are also thinking of going on a cruise as soon as the pandemic situation settles down. It seems to me that a two-day trip is quite a tempting offer to try and understand if we need it. We have already tried to go out on our own for a couple of hours in the ocean by taking a boat from boat rentals miami. My wife really liked this vacation. But I had to manage the yacht and I could not fully enjoy my vacation. Therefore, I think a cruise would be a great way for us to spend our holidays.

3 hours ago, hawkismoll said:

My wife and I are also thinking of going on a cruise as soon as the pandemic situation settles down. It seems to me that a two-day trip is quite a tempting offer to try and understand if we need it.

honestly?   a 2 day isn't gonna be enough (and I didn't even know those are offered).

you'll want at least a 3 day / 2 night  - or is that what you meant - so you can experience the evening entertainment, the meal options, etc.

honestly, I'd go for a 5 day, so you get at least 1 "formal" night, so you can experience that. . . oh, and I would NOT do "Carnival" (ever personally, but certainly not for your 1st ever cruise).
Do something nice, so you can actually experience a nice ship, with a somewhat classier crowd than one would get on Carnival.

Don't get me wrong.. the TPR Klassy Cruise on Carnival looked like it was awesome - but they enjoyed the WTF of it as a group.    For your 1st ever?   yeah. . go for Royal Caribbean, Princess, or maybe even something more upscale like Celebrity or Disney.

1 hour ago, bert425 said:

honestly?   a 2 day isn't gonna be enough (and I didn't even know those are offered).

you'll want at least a 3 day / 2 night  - or is that what you meant - so you can experience the evening entertainment, the meal options, etc.

honestly, I'd go for a 5 day, so you get at least 1 "formal" night, so you can experience that. . . oh, and I would NOT do "Carnival" (ever personally, but certainly not for your 1st ever cruise).
Do something nice, so you can actually experience a nice ship, with a somewhat classier crowd than one would get on Carnival.

Don't get me wrong.. the TPR Klassy Cruise on Carnival looked like it was awesome - but they enjoyed the WTF of it as a group.    For your 1st ever?   yeah. . go for Royal Caribbean, Princess, or maybe even something more upscale like Celebrity or Disney.

I second all of this!! 2 days is definitely not enough for a first cruise. Shoot, we don't think anything shorter than 7 nights is even worth it. 

I also second RCL. Book one of their Oasis class ships as your first cruise. You will LOVE it, and be addicted to it! 

As others have said I would NEVER do a 2 night cruise. I don't even like 3 night ones!  I would recommend a 4 night for your first cruise for a couple of reasons. 1 - 4 night cruises are typically a less crazy crowd. 2 - 4 nights are often cheaper than 3 nights because they're during the week. 3 - You need 4 nights to really get the feel for a cruise.