TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Does anyone have an active cruise booked that they've rescheduled or cancelled yet? We have one scheduled for June with Royal Caribbean and final payment is due soon, but seems like there's no reason to cancel now since they're offering full refunds or a 125% credit for rescheduling a future cruise anytime in 2020 or 2021 with 48 hours cancellation notice. I can't find any reason to cancel it now with this policy but curious if any of the more cruise savvy people on this forum are in a similar situation or have evaluated the policy in more detail than I have.

^ I wouldn't cancel.

1) it might go on as planned (unlikely, but you never know)

2) if they do cancel on you, by then they will have a policy on how to handle in place.

just my 2 cents.

^ I wouldn't cancel.

1) it might go on as planned (unlikely, but you never know)

2) if they do cancel on you, by then they will have a policy on how to handle in place.

just my 2 cents.

Yeah they've already posted their policy which is why i see no reason to cancel at this point. Ride it out, worst case scenario reschedule a cruise for later in 2020 or 2021. Just was curious if anyone else here had evaluated the policy in depth and saw anything of concern that I didn't.

Cruise With Confidence Policy

Yeah they've already posted their policy which is why i see no reason to cancel at this point. Ride it out, worst case scenario reschedule a cruise for later in 2020 or 2021. Just was curious if anyone else here had evaluated the policy in depth and saw anything of concern that I didn't.

Cruise With Confidence Policy

We had to reschedule one of our cruises with RC.... The only thing to note, that they didn’t mention to us, was that you have to pay a new deposit when you reschedule.

Princess cancelled all cruises until May 10... ours was May 9. We had the option to take a credit plus bigger bonus, or refund plus little bonus. We just took the full refund it was only a difference if a 50% bonus vs 25% . Who knows what prices will be like in the future plus if I get a credit and go on a cheap cruise I don't know if you get the rest of that credit for future cruises too? Either way I opted for refund.

That being said, the same cruise we were to go on that is still scheduled for the following week is ridiculously cheap and half the price, so it seems silly to take the credit unless we want to take multiple cruises... which may or may not be a thing, I didn't really look at the small print.

Because it's outside the April 30 timeframe that most flights and businesses are pointing towards rebooking, we filled out a form with travel expenses and supposedly princess will be rembursing us the cancelled flights? We shall see.

Both CCL and RCL stocks have been extremely low. RCL bottomed out just above $22/share today when it was valued in the $130's range in January. I'd honestly put any refunded money into shares. You'll be able to pay for several cruises in a year or two with the money dumped into the market. In theory, $1,000 in now, up to $5,000 out later.

Ok, With a lot of things being discounted for future use I think I may take up a cruise. The issue is I have never did one and said I would never so I know nothing about different cruise lines other than Carnival is like a floating walmart. I would like something posh, possibly with out kids. I do like adventure and shows but I think I would rather have those as options as I would probably want to relax. And suggestions on a cruise line?

If you like one with lots of cool bells and whistles I would recommend royal Caribbean symphony of the seas. Lots and lots to do and lots and lots to eat. Disney is also really good but they are also a lot more than the other major lines and has been said before avoid carnival like the plague.

Of course, would bow to recommendations from those who cruise way more than we do.

but we really like "Celebrity".. the age range tends to be 25-65 on the ships we've been on.

the food is spectacular, and the entertainment is very good.

my 2cents.

we enjoyed our cruises on Royal Caribbean too, tho the crowd tended to be much younger (I'd say 15-55 or so), and the food was very mediocre unless you upgraded to a "cost extra" restaurant. The shows were only so-so, but acceptable.

if you want to feel REALLY young? go on Holland America (it was the cruise line my Mom insisted on for the last trip we took with her). The cabin was very nice (parents got us all suites to come with) and the itinerary was decent. But the food had no flavor or spice (no salt!!), the shows were all bad vaudville comedians, and the ship shut down by 9pm each night. Age of the crowd? late 40's-90's

hope that helps.. LOL

Ok, With a lot of things being discounted for future use I think I may take up a cruise. The issue is I have never did one and said I would never so I know nothing about different cruise lines other than Carnival is like a floating walmart. I would like something posh, possibly with out kids. I do like adventure and shows but I think I would rather have those as options as I would probably want to relax. And suggestions on a cruise line?

Celebrity is certainly posh and will have less kids but it skews a little older. You may want to try Royal Caribbean or NCL. Also, try to do a 4 or 7 day cruise as the 3 day cruises tend to attract a more crazy party group of people.

Both CCL and RCL stocks have been extremely low.

We bought 1,500 shares of RCL recently, and now just sitting on it until it eventually gets back up to $130(ish) a share.... Then we will be selling!

They got no love in the stimulus package, good luck. If they want money, they are going to have to register the boats here and build them here. The Jones Act is no joke and Viking just figured out how to get boats on Mississippi to comply with it.

www.theguardian.com

Four passengers aboard Zaandam cruise ship dead from flu-like symptoms

Four passengers of the Zaandam cruise ship have died from what appears to be Covid-19, according to the Miami Herald. About 150 passengers on the ship, which is awaiting permission to pass through the Panama Canal, with the end destination of Port Everglades in Florida, have developed flu-like symptoms. Carnival Corp. is the owner of the ship.

The captain of the ship announced the deaths to crew members and passengers Friday afternoon and said that healthy passengers would be evacuated onto a nearby sister ship.

Cruise ships have been a hotbed for the spread of Covid-19, starting with the Diamond Princess, which was quarantined off the coast of Japan in early February and saw more than 700 people onboard infected. At least 25 other cruise ships have seen confirmed cases onboard.

Both CCL and RCL stocks have been extremely low.

We bought 1,500 shares of RCL recently, and now just sitting on it until it eventually gets back up to $130(ish) a share.... Then we will be selling!

They got no love in the stimulus package, good luck. If they want money, they are going to have to register the boats here and build them here. The Jones Act is no joke and Viking just figured out how to get boats on Mississippi to comply with it.

Trump has shown love for Carnival because he is friends with Micky Arison. I would not be the least bit surprised if they come to a compromise and get bailed out...

Just because their ships are registered in another country (to get around a bunch of tax/employment/environmental laws) doesn't mean they don't also employ a ton of Americans. I'm not saying what they do is right, but it doesn't change the fact that they do employ THOUSANDS of Americans all over the country in corporate, call centers, travel agents, etc. Hopefully something is worked out to at least help them a bit.

Just because their ships are registered in another country (to get around a bunch of tax/employment/environmental laws) doesn't mean they don't also employ a ton of Americans. I'm not saying what they do is right, but it doesn't change the fact that they do employ THOUSANDS of Americans all over the country in corporate, call centers, travel agents, etc. Hopefully something is worked out to at least help them a bit.

I mean, I worked for Carnival for 4 years and I only ever saw 5-10 Americans working on the ships, all of which were in the entertainment department. Technicians mostly, sometimes hosts, occasionally dancers. Hosts and dancers were primarily British or Australian. Spa attendants were generally Australian and European. Camp Carnival staff was 99% Eastern European. Deck staff was 100% southeast asian and Pacific Islanders, same for custodial staff. Food service was a mix of everyone except english-speaking countries. Officers were all Italian.

You mentioned the corporate and call centers. Corporate employees were, shockingly, rarely American, as well. Tons of Canadians, British, and Mexicans. I'd say out of all of the shoreside corporate people I interacted with about 10% were born and raised American. All of them LIVE in the country but not all are naturalized citizens. Call centers were mostly outsourced except for high call volume times, as well.

All that being said, I left Carnival back in earl 2013 and never looked back. Things may have changed, but in my experience they certainly don't deserve to be bailed out by our government.

Edit - Also, before things get too political, why don't we all agree that this entire thing is a huge mess that none of us have any way of influencing. Meanwhile Carnival is adding a powered coaster, so let's go back to the ageless debate of "does it count or not?" I say it doesn't, because Carnival can't do anything right.

^I lived next to the GIANT corporate headquarters for Princess in Valencia for 10 years and have friends who work there. There's also a large base in Miami for RCCL. I don't know about Carnival. I said that the ships are all international's.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/stranded-at-sea-cruise-ships-around-the-world-are-adrift-as-ports-turn-them-away

'Stranded at sea': cruise ships around the world are adrift as ports turn them away

Why are they still sailing though???