TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Viking TR part 3

And finally the end - sorry for the delay...

Viking does an excellent job with food, and it's pretty remarkable what they can prepare in the small kitchen onboard. I'm not one to take tons of food photos, but I did snap a few, which will follow. We are both vegetarian, and the chef did an excellent job with meatless dishes! The dinner at Chateau Kirwan was especially memorable.

With Viking, beer and wine is included at lunch and dinner and the wines used were actually quite good. Our glasses were never empty

River cruising has been going on for years, but obviously has gotten more popular. It's a wonderful way to see the countryside, and to appreciate some of the smaller towns that might not otherwise be seen. Viking is certainly the biggest player in Europe, but there are multiple other options to choose from. I did some research before taking our first cruise last year, but I kept coming back to Viking. Since you frequently "raft" next to other cruise ships, I gotten up and close with Uniworld, Scenic, Ama Waterways, Avalon, Arosa, etc. but still find Viking to fit our aesthetic much better. If you decide to look into Viking, be aware that while they always offer the "Two for One" special on fares, you can get incredible airfare deals through them.

Looking forward to the Rhine in 2017!

Salad.thumb.jpg.4a6348ac7d2a5fc2f8b294165c4f012d.jpg

Starter course - Tomato Salad with Buffalo Mozzarella

329617419_Dinner1.thumb.jpg.5ee98098c50131bc4f17d4b89832545b.jpg

Entrée served at Chateau Kirwan. So good!

1953747956_Dinner2.thumb.jpg.f4c34d9f77c3ef5cf117128eadc1478e.jpg

Stuffed tomatoes with herbed rice

1105657714_Dinner3.thumb.jpg.8512a3cf6830c6fe11e23f8db528080c.jpg

Eggplant pancakes with spinach.

1270338484_Dessert1.thumb.jpg.0a38289b340e86c1af7afb623419af0d.jpg

Dessert time! Forgot the name, but very very good!

1272623044_Dessert2.thumb.jpg.c11e73338643a9cfedf747cc951fd5da.jpg

Another dessert winner

519246177_Dessert3.thumb.jpg.a8cc907e2bbbf0183c73b9e9f3eae070.jpg

And another

916749750_Dessert4.thumb.jpg.6c2192d01a3fc2bf9d7985c0b734891a.jpg

And yet another

Viking does an excellent job with food

Thank you, I try my best!

Sorry, I just couldn't let the opportunity to make that joke pass! But yeah, that was a great report! Fun to see a trip report that it not the "traditional" cruise. Thanks for sharing!

the ship looks beautiful -- both quaint and elegant at the same time.

and the excursions. . .man, I wish I was there with ya!

thanks for the pics, wonderful trip report!

• 2 months later...

Omg. That was awesome, yet crazy at the same time. You'd think the cruise line would know better than to travel that closely to a dock. . . Oh, wait. It's Carnival. Nevermind.

The $780,000 cruise ship that launched in May continued on its merry way apparently oblivious to the destruction it left behind

Dang, I didn't know the Carnival cruise ships were THAT cheap!!

Edited by viking86

The article has since corrected the value to $780 million.

Still, at $780 million, that's a lot less expensive that most modern day cruise ships. Especially for it to be the "largest ship in their fleet."

For those who are curious a few other cruise ship prices:

Quantum class ships cost around $935 million

Oasis class ships cost around $1.4 billion

Freedom class cost on average $828 million

Disney's Dream came in at $1 billion

Disney's Fantasy came in at $950 million

All the more reason for me to never cruise with Carnival. Me no likey cheapy.

Omg. That was awesome, yet crazy at the same time. You'd think the cruise line would know better than to travel that closely to a dock. . . Oh, wait. It's Carnival. Nevermind.

Maybe the port shod have said,"Hey, that ship is too big to dock here." Considering the displacemen it could cause to get underway. But they wanted those 4,000 souls on shore to spend money. And what did the Concordia have to do with that story?

Anyways the Vista is impressive to look at. Imax theather, that hanging pedal ride and decent water slides elevates Carnivals family game.

Let's see, you got a Norweigian boat with a go cart track headed to China, a RC boat with an insane dry slide and pod thingy, a MCS boat headed to Miami with an impressive water slide complex that has two slides that extends past the side MCS has another on the way that claims to have an Amusement and water park features. I've actually seen a render of them having a drop tower like ride on a boat but it was just an idea.

Who'll be the first with a legit roller coaster that goes over the side, possibly upside down?

Maybe the port shod have said,"Hey, that ship is too big to dock here." Considering the displacemen it could cause to get underway. But they wanted those 4,000 souls on shore to spend money.

LOL, yup. Not Carnival's fault. Way less than RCCL for their now annual "Sail Anthem Through A Hurricane" cruise. Who says big ships can't do adventure cruising?

From Royal Caribbean Blog and other news outlets.

Royal Caribbean crew member dies and four others injured during lifeboat drill on Harmony of the Seas

One crew member died and four other crew members were injured on Royal Caribbean's Harmony of the Seas earlier today.

During a lifeboat drill that was conducted in Marseilles, France, an accident occurred when a lifeboat, with five people on board, broke free from the vessel and fell.

Royal Caribbean confirmed the injury totals via social media.

• 1 month later...
Royal Caribbean is also still buying new ships

Not much known...200,000 gross tonnage, 2022/2024 delivery dates, powered by fuel cells and liquefied natural gas.

These new Icon-class ships and Oasis 5 that may possibly be 400m long. If you're an RCI fan who follows the ship builds, can it get any better!? [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Viking's entry to river cruising on the Mississippi has been delayed. They have not been able to find a ship builder in the US to build their boats yet and they can not bring them over from Europe due to some law passed the early 20th century that made all vessels on the Mississippi be American built. There is one paddle wheel builder left it seems and they are currently under an exclusive contract. Viking would not be using paddle wheelers but that is a major builder off limits till it is done with their current contract.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/15892-viking-s-u-s-domestic-waterways-plan-unveiled-in-trademark-filings.html

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_1bb98ca8-7aa7-11e6-a649-4faa395695df.html

I still think Disney should get into Mississippi River Cruising. A 400 to 500 passenger boat geared to families with younger children is completely missing from the currently booming mix of options.

The new MSC boat headed to Miami looks nice with a couple of over the side water slides in the mix, their new private island has been pushed back to late 2018 however.

It's a little over a year old now, however I have a vlog from the Carnival Valor for the 7 Day Eastern Caribbean Cruise in case anyone is considering that particular cruise.

Overall the trip was great. Food was great, ports were fine, but the ship needed a little more to offer in terms of things to do. This was my first cruise, so with that said, I don't have anything to compare it to. For my next cruise I plan on going with Royal Caribbean, because I hear that line is by far better than Carnival.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Never been on a cruise and have only been on small boats to go fishing/around Lake Michigan a handfull of times and I've found myself reading Cruise (Royal Caribbean specifically) blogs a lot recently, haha. Maybe it's because winter is coming, but it seems like you can find really good deals on a cruise vacation.

What captured my interested is that so much depends on how old the ship is, where it goes, what's offered on board, the length of the trip, etc. There's so much to learn about for each trip when you're inexperienced/haven't been on a cruise before. That brought me back to this thread to check out all of the past trips that looked like a ton of fun when you have the right group of people!

Seriously from what I've seen the entertainment and food game on cruise ships is nothing like what it used to be.

Never been on a cruise and have only been on small boats to go fishing/around Lake Michigan a handfull of times and I've found myself reading Cruise (Royal Caribbean specifically) blogs a lot recently, haha. Maybe it's because winter is coming, but it seems like you can find really good deals on a cruise vacation.

What captured my interested is that so much depends on how old the ship is, where it goes, what's offered on board, the length of the trip, etc. There's so much to learn about for each trip when you're inexperienced/haven't been on a cruise before. That brought me back to this thread to check out all of the past trips that looked like a ton of fun when you have the right group of people!

Seriously from what I've seen the entertainment and food game on cruise ships is nothing like what it used to be.

I used to make fun of the stereotypical cruise ship crowd. You know, old people dressed up for supper, then gambling. Why would anyone who's younger and fun want to be around them? Then I cruised Disney and Royal Caribbean. Nothing could be further from what I imagined. Days were packed with fun, even on sea days. Awesome shows, water slides, and eventful dinners, were the norm. Waking up at a new port or country to explore after traveling while we slept was so cool. I now love cruising and currently have a Celebrity Alaska trip booked for June.

For your first cruise, I would recommend the Disney Dream for a 4 night trip to the Bahamas and Castaway Cay. This is a great introduction to the industry, while still relatively affordable, considering the choice.