TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

I think the water slides aboard Liberty of the Seas look a little more exciting than the water slides aboard Harmony, but the Abyss still beats them all! It looks pretty spectacular!

I'm a big fan of Harmony of the Seas, but I have to agree with you. I would like to try out the Boomerang slide!

36f80166f85602c92b6e3bdecadd17a5.jpg

a189d624c126a91d804903574872d732.jpg

4427ae34a0fb70d20a211624539f9296.jpg

a1cfb412b4cb80273d8e77a4e637722c.jpg

2ed4f86b7a61d4a2008cfa3d5032f68b.jpg

I think the water slides aboard Liberty of the Seas look a little more exciting than the water slides aboard Harmony, but the Abyss still beats them all! It looks pretty spectacular!

I'm going on Liberty Feb. 2017 and the waterslides look great! Just went on Allure and had an amazing time, so we booked onboard which is fairly cheap. The zip line on Allure was fun but very short, although where are you going to zip line on a ship in the middle of the ocean? Loved Central Park on the ship and the bar Trellis in that area!

My concern with the halfpipe slide is the fact that the flume tapers inward after coming out of the wall and over the hump, and Royal intends to use double-seat tubes on the slide... Riders will get wedged if they're flying sideways over that hill!

LOTS being based out of Galveston is great. You got Kemah, Pleasure Pier, Shlitterbahn plus Moody Gardens. There's even groundwork for the Adventure Pointe park going on.

On cruise related news, Norwegian and Princess have pulled out of the Houston Port further up the channel. So that 100 mil plus terminal will sit empty again. I know Galveston is remodeling one terminal but they plan on a 3rd terminal after that is done. Maybe Norweigian will re-enter the market then. Hope Disney still comes around as well. I'm kinda shocked some LCC airline hasn't set up shop at the airport on the Island.

I'm going on Liberty Feb. 2017 and the waterslides look great! Just went on Allure and had an amazing time, so we booked onboard which is fairly cheap. The zip line on Allure was fun but very short, although where are you going to zip line on a ship in the middle of the ocean? Loved Central Park on the ship and the bar Trellis in that area!

are you going with Arno's group?. . it's our first "themed" cruise, and we usually don't do this kind of stuff. . but the price (and OBC) was right, and we have TONS of friends going.

if yes, can't wait to say "hello" in person!

Since Flowriders seem to be all over cruise ships, and that's where I first remember seeing one, I will ask this question here;

Do you have any good advice for a first-time rider? I am currently quite good at all-mountain snowboarding and have wakeboarded a bit in the past, but I'm guessing this is a lot different from either of those in that it looks inherently unstable with the boards they use (especially when standing). I'm going to try it out tonight at a local aquatic center, so anyone have good tips for a first-timer?

Since Flowriders seem to be all over cruise ships, and that's where I first remember seeing one, I will ask this question here;

Do you have any good advice for a first-time rider? I am currently quite good at all-mountain snowboarding and have wakeboarded a bit in the past, but I'm guessing this is a lot different from either of those in that it looks inherently unstable with the boards they use (especially when standing). I'm going to try it out tonight at a local aquatic center, so anyone have good tips for a first-timer?

Best advice for your first time on a flowrider . . .Make sure your swimming trunks are tied VERY tight!!

You'll thank me later.

Disney Planning Two New Cruise Ships

2 new Meyer Werft ships in 2021 and 2023.

That’s right, Disney is again expanding its family cruise business with plans to build two new ships, each of them showcasing the immersive family entertainment, enchanting storytelling and unparalleled service that only Disney can deliver.

The company has entered into a memorandum of agreement with the Meyer Werft shipyard in Germany. The schedule calls for the new ships to be completed in 2021 and 2023.

“We pride ourselves on the unforgettable vacation experiences we deliver to our guests each and every day, and the expansion of our Disney fleet will allow us to create even more magical memories for families at sea and in incredible cruise destinations around the world,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Walt Disney Company.

While design plans, ship names and itineraries are still in development, the Walt Disney Imagineering team is already dreaming up exciting new innovations that will be uniquely fun and distinctly Disney. Each new ship will be approximately 135,000 gross tons – slightly larger than the newest Disney Cruise Line ships, the Disney Dream and the Disney Fantasy – and each is currently planned to include about 1,250 guest staterooms.

More details about the Disney Cruise Line fleet expansion will be announced at a later date.

DCL202123.thumb.jpg.de27cd9ec52383e2969b35b4fc6dd3c1.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/03/disney-planning-two-new-cruise-ships/?CMP=SOC-FBPAGE20160303163800

Glad to see them investing in new ships... the "new" ships (Dream/Fantasy) will be 10 years old when the Gen 3 ships are launched!

So, guesses on whether they keep the Gen 1 ships (Magic/Wonder) in the fleet once these newest ones are launched? They'll both be over 20 years old at the time, which is OLD in cruise ship terms...

Disney may charge a LOT for their cruises, but it is a great product! Considering the innovations they have had with each new ship design, and how much the other leaders in the cruise industry have been innovating lately, I'm very curious to see what new and cool stuff they design into these ships!

are you going with Arno's group?. . it's our first "themed" cruise, and we usually don't do this kind of stuff. . but the price (and OBC) was right, and we have TONS of friends going.

I'm not going with Arno's group but didn't know there was a Theme?? I'm going on the 19th of February so not sure if that's the same cruise but if so yeah say hello!!!

I'm not going with Arno's group but didn't know there was a Theme?? I'm going on the 19th of February so not sure if that's the same cruise but if so yeah say hello!!!

Feb 19 sailing out of Galveston?

if yes, there's a gay-bear group, currently over 250 booked that's gonna be on the ship.

we're sailing with them. .like I said, we typically don't do themes, but we have lots of friends going.

if you're already booked on the boat, but not with Arno's group.. . . I'll bet you could contact him to attend some of the special "bear" functions/parties (if you wanted to, of course). They haven't really announced anything yet, since it's still almost a year out, but there's gonna be a lot of speical things Arno plans for the group

Just to follow up, I tried the FlowRider (it's a small one of their "wave in a box" models, much smaller than the ones on the cruise ships) and it was AWESOME!! If anyone is on a cruise--or anywhere else for that matter--and has a chance to try it DO IT!!! I was really not skilled despite snowboard experience, and was only able to barely stand and slightly turn by the end, but body boarding was really fun.

It helped that there were only ~5 people riding, so we all got plenty of turns; probably not at all what it's like on the cruises, but I think it's usually free on the ships? I had to pay $15

Well it looks like I will be going on my first cruise next February. Oasis of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. We were supposed to go on the Oasis of the Seas three years ago but my wife was two weeks past the cutoff date the ship had for pregnancy.

Yeah I have no idea what to expect all I know is I am looking forward to the stop in Jamaica, and it will be tough to be in Orlando and not go to an amusement park.

So the cruise leaves on a Sunday at 4:30 from Port Canaveral. I have a few questions.

How does boarding work? do they schedule a time for you or do you just show up whenever before departure time?

We will most likely have all of Saturday free, by the time we go my son will be 3 1/2. I was considering planning it to where we do one of the Disney parks for the day. With just one day and having never been before what park should we do? are February Saturdays usually crowded?

You can arrive as early as 10:30am and they usually start boarding by 11:30 and you can get lunch on board. You can also show up as late as about 2pm but you're paying for the ship, might as well get on it!

The Disney parks are pretty much always crazy now. You'll have to check the schedule and see what events are going on in February (usually some sort of marathon) and cheer/dance or something.