TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Doing my first ever NCL ( STAR ) cruise in November, Rotan , Belize , Costa Maya, Cozumel is there any must see things in those ports?

Mountain coasters etc

Costa Maya is probably your best opportunities for Precolumbian ruins given proximity and the reasonable size of the sites. Roatan has some really beautiful areas, but the area immediately surrounding where the ship lets off for NCL and RCCL is pretty lousy. Cozumel, IMO, is excellent for diving or snorkeling and not much else given that most of the big name excursions like Tulum first require a boat ride from the island of Cozumel back to mainland Mexico before transferring to a fairly substantial bus ride. Coba's the grandest site you'd be able to see, but you're on a ships tour that will likely give you no more than 90 minutes in a place several square miles in size with somewhere around 3-4 hours of combined transport time to and from. It's a lousy way to go see it. Belize is also surrounded by a large reef (same reason you tender from a spot a couple miles off shore) and there's snorkeling excursions there, though the jungle around is also pretty cool to check out.

As always, look at independent tour operators, look at their ratings on Tripadvisor, and look around Cruise Critic.

^ I've had a lot better snorkeling experience in Roatan than in Cozumel. We always enjoy Paradise Beach in Cozumel though (not for snorkeling).

Next one !

Oasis 4 is now on keel in the dry dock :

I really hope that ship is staying overseas. I hate porting where the Oasis or Allure is also porting, because of the amount of people. Last thing I want is to (along with the Harmony) double the chance of that happening.

Meanwhile, the top Royal Caribbean executives (President/COO, CEO, and VP) have sold a lot of their shares recently; around $31M worth at least this year.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ROYAL CARIBBEAN UNVEILS FIRST LOOK AT THE TALLEST SLIDE AT SEA, THE ULTIMATE ABYSS

MIAMI, December 15, 2015 – Royal Caribbean International today reveals the highly-anticipated first look of The Ultimate Abyss, the tallest slide on the high seas, which will intimidate the bravest of guests and challenge them to prove their courage from onboard Harmony of the Seas when she debuts in May 2016. Towering more than 150 feet above sea level, overlooking the AquaTheater at the aft of the ship, the pair of side-by-side slides will release adrenalin-seeking travelers into a chilling 100 foot drop that twists and turns in a serpentine-like movement as they slide nine miles an hour, approximately, from the Pool and Sports Zone on Deck 16 to the Boardwalk on Deck 6 below.

The Ultimate Abyss is designed to incite and maintain a sense of heart-pumping anticipation. Launching onto the ride from a glass platform, guests can take one last look at the Boardwalk 10 decks below before climbing onto a customized mat and taking the plunge into the depths of the daunting slides. Spontaneous audio effects within each tunnel create a multi-sensory thrill for daring guests willing to test their mettle while traversing 216 feet through the one-of-a-kind slide duo. The Ultimate Abyss is made up of two separate cylinders, a reflection of one-another, each with a diameter of approximately 2.6 feet and constructed of stainless steel.

Harmony of the Seas, the world’s largest cruise ship, will span 16 guest decks, encompass 227,000 gross registered tons, carry 5,497 guests at double occupancy, and feature 2,747 staterooms. The Oasis class is an architectural marvel touting Royal Caribbean's exclusive seven neighborhood concept, including Central Park, Boardwalk, the Royal Promenade, the Pool and Sports Zone, Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center, Entertainment Place and Youth Zone. For more information about Harmony of the Seas, please visit RoyalCaribbean.com/HarmonyoftheSeas.

Royal Caribbean International is an award-winning global cruise brand with a 46-year legacy of innovation and introducing industry “firsts” never before seen at sea. The cruise line features an expansive and unmatched array of features and amenities only found on Royal Caribbean including, jaw-dropping, Broadway-style entertainment and industry-acclaimed programming that appeals to families and adventurous vacationers alike. Onboard, guests are catered to with the cruise line’s world-renowned friendly and engaging Gold Anchor Service by every staff and crew member. Royal Caribbean has been voted “Best Cruise Line Overall” for 13 consecutive years in the Travel Weekly Readers Choice Awards.

The cruise line sails 23 of the world’s most innovative cruise ships to the most popular destinations in Bermuda and the Caribbean, Europe, Canada and New England, Alaska, South America, Asia, and Australia and New Zealand. Media can stay up-to-date by following @RoyalCaribPR on Twitter, and visiting RoyalCaribbeanPressCenter.com. For additional information or to make reservations, vacationers should call their travel agent; visit RoyalCaribbean.com; or call (800) ROYAL-CARIBBEAN.

Press Release Source

low_1450293934_HM-Abyss-2.thumb.jpg.1f237266f2b444a66a6efd1f472dd1da.jpglow_1450293547_View-3-Rear-Aerial.jpg.d9602221b30c31c5f8d0a5cb94c17b7a.jpglow_1450293529_15-11-24-View-2-Aerial.jpg.b91c5bb18e010cec8b2577ce113753f6.jpgThe Ultimate Abyss, the tallest slide at sea, will intimidate the bravest of guests onboard Harmony of the Seas when she debuts in May 2016. Towering more than 150 feet above sea level, the pair of side-by-side slides will release adrenalin-seeking travelers into a chilling 100 foot drop that twists and turns in a serpentine-like movement as they slide nine miles an hour from the Pool and Sports Zone on Deck 16 to the Boardwalk on Deck 6 below.

Additional Video

It's a pretty unique approach for Royal's first ship with major water slides on board! I think it looks fantastic!

We knew previously that they would be dry slides, but I'm surprised they have opted to go with a custom mat for guests to ride on. I wonder if they will be told to ride on their stomachs or to sit on the mat while sliding... It should be a really neat experience on an already incredible looking ship!

Here I have something a bit different for you This is a virtual tour of the Norwegian ferry company "Color Line`s" MV "Color Fantasy". It is a overnight ferry that goes from "Oslo" in Norway to "Kiel" in Germany. As you can see the ferry is inspired by RCCL`s freedom class vessels though i think these ferries are even nicer

Virtual tour

786204071_colorfantasy.jpg.4226cb99c28a1f6a7f12a6f53db9dbb3.jpg

Color Fantasy

My Sister and her husband are going on a Royal Caribbean cruise in May out of Galveston on the Liberty of the Seas. What are some recommended shore excursions for Roatan, Honduras, and Belize City, Belize? They've been to Cozumel, so they're good there but the other places I couldn't help them with. Figured someone here would know!

• 2 weeks later...
This story is just crazy...

http://www.wxyz.com/news/national/swfl-couple-shows-video-of-bloody-mystery-on-carnival-cruise-ship

It was like a scene out of the shining. A carnival employee dies while working on an elevator and blood is seen flowing out of the elevator.

That's crazy. All the more reason you won't find us on a Carnival Cruise!

My thoughts are with the victims family.

My Sister and her husband are going on a Royal Caribbean cruise in May out of Galveston on the Liberty of the Seas. What are some recommended shore excursions for Roatan, Honduras, and Belize City, Belize? They've been to Cozumel, so they're good there but the other places I couldn't help them with. Figured someone here would know!

we just booked this same cruise, on the same ship for 2017. .

(it's gonna be with a big group of bears ). . .

so I'm interested too! (tho I'm sure the group will have functions for us to attend).

^WTF!?!?? How has this not made bigger news!! That is horrifying on so many levels.

Agreed!

I'm betting this will actually break big, once the Media stops focusing on some other things today.

^WTF!?!?? How has this not made bigger news!! That is horrifying on so many levels.

Agreed!

I'm betting this will actually break big, once the Media stops focusing on some other things today.

Not sure.

They keep playing the whole race war thing right now, and tomorrow it will be what crazy crap Donald Trump said.

Going on Anthem of the Seas, the newest RCI ship in March, out of Cape Liberty. Any recommendations on things to do?

The ship is awesome! Make sure to sign up ahead of time (like now!) online for as much as you can (food, entertainment, activities). That way once you're on board you can do standby as well as have your reservations and not have to worry or freak out like so many do. Also, for any activities that don't have pre-signups make sure to line up early to guarantee a spot or come right at the end of the activity.