TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

RCCL and STX organize a "dry dock party" today around Harmony of the Seas for the families of the shipyard's workers.

Amazing pics here :

Last night before they flood the dock. Tomorrow she will float

First trip is for Friday with the transfer in Dock C.

http://www.virgin.com/news/virgin-cruises-announces-portmiami-as-home-for-its-first-cruise-ship

Virgin Cruises has selected PortMiami as the home port for its first cruise ship that will set sail in 2020 and has signed a binding letter of intent with Italian shipbuilding company Fincantieri for three new mid-size ships.

Virgin Cruises’ three new mid-size ships, of about 110,000 gross tons each, are slated for delivery in 2020, 2021 and 2022. Each ship will feature 1,430 guest cabins to host more than 2,800 guests. There will also be 1,150 crew on board to look after the guests and deliver the Virgin service. Embarking from PortMiami, Virgin Cruises plans to offer a range of seven-day Caribbean itineraries, with a Sunday sail date.

“This is a very exciting day for Virgin and travellers around the globe,” Richard Branson said. “We now have the right partners in place to build a world-class cruise line that will redefine the cruising experience for good. The Virgin Cruises approach will appeal to cruisers and non-cruisers alike, and we look forward to being in Miami and delivering an experience for people who want a new way to cruise.”

Virgin Cruises’ binding letter of intent with Fincantieri is the first part of a two-step process with both companies committed to signing a contract at the end of 2015. The PortMiami agreement will be present at the Miami-Dad County Board of Commissioners meeting on June 30th, 2015.

“We are committed to making waves in the cruise industry, and partnering with Fincantieri and PortMiami sets Virgin Cruises up to do just that,” said Virgin Cruises CEO Tom McAlpine. “Today’s announcement brings together important ingredients in our future success – Miami’s vibrant culture paired with the excellent Port infrastructure and Port team; and Fincantieri’s expertise in prototyping, their creativity and understanding of our vision.”

Customers are invited to join the journey by visiting the Virgin Cruises website to share their ideas on what the new cruise line can do to deliver an incredible experience at sea.

http://www.virgincruises.com

IMG_8578.thumb.JPG.f8dcc481ef963ad8e2ebcd8e49cd2080.JPG

cruises.thumb.png.ae98459f0548c79a4f81c31999590760.png

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 4 weeks later...

Kind of missed this yesterday but RCCL announced a bonus fourth waterside for Harmony.

Here's the kicker...

10 Stories Tall!!!

Not a lot of details but most cruise people are assuming it will go from Deck 16 near the Flowriders down to the Boardwalk on Deck 5.

That's pretty cool! Its been while since I did oasis, how easy will it be to get from the Landing area back to the top for another go? Just thinking wet people in the Elevators etc.

Stu K

That was my 1st thought! RCI not daft I bet there will be a dedicated lift with attendant and rubber mat floor operating between the slide load and off load point. They could take it down empty and mop.

Stu K

^See I can't see that though. Elevators are at such a premium already on a ship (how many times I was yelled at or pushed when trying to take the elevator with KT as a baby is terrifying!) that dedicating an attendant and an elevator to a low capacity slide seems silly.

I really don't think it's going to be as bad as people think. People already take the elevators wet from the pool areas back to their cabins or to a restaurant. If the slide lets off at the back of the Boardwalk and there are towels there, by the time you get to the elevator you won't really be dripping so much.

Again, I just don't think it's as big of a deal as some people are making.

Hi guys,

I've never done a cruise before and my group of friends are looking for a possible vacation to the Caribbean next year. None of them have done a cruise before either so I have a few questions. What are your favorite companies to go with? What ships in particular are fun and a great value? Anything to completely stay clear of? Any advice for first time cruise goer?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

I've never done a cruise before and my group of friends are looking for a possible vacation to the Caribbean next year. None of them have done a cruise before either so I have a few questions. What are your favorite companies to go with? What ships in particular are fun and a great value? Anything to completely stay clear of? Any advice for first time cruise goer?

Thanks in advance!

You need to provide more details before we start recommending or discouraging. A "group" of certain friends could love or hate a Carnival or Disney Cruise, all depending on their likes, ages and situations. For example, I could go on and on how awesome Disney cruises are, but if your just interested in partying and drinking, Carnival would be better.

That being said, I have found Royal Caribbean to be the best overall. Any Caribbean cruise on an Oasis size ship is an awesome vacation for just about everyone.

As you say a big pile of pool towels at the bottom would do the job. Also think it may be a more extreme slide with a height restriction to stop small kids getting split up from Mom and dad. Need some new art work of the back of the ship now!

Stu K

^I was just wondering the same thing. Ship's Fire Suppression system did it's job however.

Royal Caribbean said Wednesday that a fire broke out in a mechanical space on one of its cruise ships—Freedom of the Seas—as it was pulling into Falmouth, Jamaica.

The company said in a statement that the fire was extinguished, but "in an abundance of caution," the captain assembled all guests at the ship's assembly stations. All systems are functioning on the ship, which is alongside Falmouth, the statement said.

The ship is on a seven-night sail that started in Cape Canaveral, Fla., on July 19.

Jayne Giesler, a passenger, told FoxNews.com that an announcement was made on the ship at about 9:30 a.m. about the issue.

"At that point, I noticed dark smoke and debris outside the window," she said in a phone interview. "That's when the crew told us to get our life-preservers."

She credited the crew and the captain for keeping the passengers calm and informed. She said she was told that one of the engines in deck 0 caught fire.

The crew is currently working on returning passengers to the stateroom after completing a head count.

Source

Source

More photos of the fire can be found here.

^I was just wondering the same thing. Ship's Fire Suppression system did it's job however.

If you mean the ship didn't burn up, then yes. But it burned for a long time and spread to a much larger area than what the cruise line will have you believe. It burned for an hour and a half.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article28293175.html

Some reports claim it was from nearly the bottom deck to the top deck.

I don't care for this guy, but it seems to have the most accurate information on this fire. ie.:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/07/articles/fraud/the-royal-caribbean-small-fire-hoax/

Several more articles at http://www.cruiselawnews.com

Scary stuff.

If you mean the ship didn't burn up, then yes. But it burned for a long time and spread to a much larger area than what the cruise line will have you believe. It burned for an hour and a half.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article28293175.html

Some reports claim it was from nearly the bottom deck to the top deck.

I don't care for this guy, but it seems to have the most accurate information on this fire. ie.:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/07/articles/fraud/the-royal-caribbean-small-fire-hoax/

Several more articles at http://www.cruiselawnews.com

Scary stuff.

Jim Walker may have the truth, but he never has the whole truth.

Saying that "it was from nearly the bottom deck to the top deck" is misleading, as te fire didn't burn all the decks. It started in the engine room at the bottom of the ship and the exhaust stacks, which are very heavily insulated and fireproofed from the rest of the ship, carried the hot air and sparks up and out of the belly of the ship without letting it spread to the passenger decks, exactly as they are designed to. As the hot sparks exited the exhaust stacks at the top, they started a second fire in the chapel above the Viking Crown on deck 15. No damage was done between the engine room and the Viking Crown.

You can see the captain's full explanation in the video below:

Kind of missed this yesterday but RCCL announced a bonus fourth waterside for Harmony.

Here's the kicker...

10 Stories Tall!!!

Not a lot of details but most cruise people are assuming it will go from Deck 16 near the Flowriders down to the Boardwalk on Deck 5.

I'm kinda wishing this was made a bigger deal, because I had heard about it just a couple of days ago... like, wouldn't 10 stories put it as one of the (if not THE) tallest water slide on a cruise ship? And I wonder if they mean 10 "decks" tall or 10 "true" stories tall? I do wish there was more info on this than just a vague blurb.

First off, you should never believe ANYTHING from that cruise law site. It's basically an ambulance cruise ship chasing lawyer who's messed up a lot of aspects of cruising for the average guest.

Secondly, yes, I'm surprised they didn't make a bigger deal out of the slide but I'm sure there will be more news when they reveal more details about it.

Well, there were recent renderings of the supposed design of the slide splashed in some odd places. First spotted on Instagram, then on Norwegian version of Royal Caribbean's website.

CLmKM89WcAAV7OM.jpg

By the looks of it, it doesn't look like a waterslide but more of a dry spiral slide. Like a really tall Wiegand dry slide. Only reason I say that is because that steep of a spiral for a water slide that tall would be deadly.

built by Wiegand not such a leap as they did the Coaster and Water slide in Haiti. Has it been definitely confirmed by RCI that its a water slide? Regular slide would make sense and not wet people going in the elevators lol.

Stu K

built by Wiegand not such a leap as they did the Coaster and Water slide in Haiti. Has it been definitely confirmed by RCI that its a water slide? Regular slide would make sense and not wet people going in the elevators lol.

Stu K

If it is a water slide, there's gonna be water pouring down off that thing pretty much all the time. I think it appears a bit unsightly, but cruise ships are all in a race to be as ugly as possible now anyhow. Looks like it would be fun. Do I need more reason than that?