TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Yeah the sharing thing is extremely strange with Noro and everything!!!

Royal Caribbean actually used to have an awesome Salad one of the nights for dinner that was served Family Style...it only lasted about six months as people complained about sharing and the risks involved. WTF is wrong with Carnival!?!?

Freedom of the Seas rescued two sailors early this morning that were adrift at sea.

Cruise Critic reports the Royal Caribbean cruise ship found the two after the sailors shot a red flare to signal for attention.

Royal Caribbean Director of global corporate communications Cynthia Martinez issued this statement regarding the incident, "the rescue occurred today at approximately 5:30 a.m. as the ship sailed from San Juan to Philipsburg, St. Maarten. After sailing toward the red flare, the ship encountered a small boat with two passengers. Crew lowered a boat into the water and rescued the two men, both from the Dominican Republic."

After being rescued, Cruise Critic indicated that the Royal Caribbean crew gave the sailors food, water and medical treatment until they could be transfered to the United States Coast Guard in St. Maarten.

www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2013/12/19/royal-caribbeans-freedom-of-the-seas-rescues-sailors

Here's some news about Oasis 3 building.

Well, not really news but STX has just build a new hoist, the most powerful in Europe, to can build ships faster.

For now, Oasis 3 is still hide indoor but here is two pics showing new St-Nazaire landscape.

On the first one, taken one month ago, you can see the Vladivistok, a landing helicopter dock for russian navy with the old blue hoist on the right.

The second pic taken this week is showing the new red hoist ready for building Oasis 3.

source : STX France

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back a week ago from a NCL cruise. Had a great time. Was 7 nights out of Tampa. Went to Belize, Honduras, Coasta Maya, and Cozumel. Everything was excellent. Plus not a lot of kids. Would gladly go on with them again. Didn't try the specialty dining. Still enjoyed the food though. Only thing that would have been better were the shows were geared a little more towards older people. I would next time go on the Epic with the Blue Man Group.

I have only cruised with Norwegian twice, and they were great (both times it was an Alaskan cruise in the Pearl). The second time though a lot of the specialty restaurants that were free the first time had a fee the second time, there was only one or two that you didn't have to pay extra

In other Carnival news, they have been rolling out a new dining program in the Main Dining Rooms on their ships (starting with the Carnival Glory last week, and starting on the Carnival Liberty, Imagination, and Inspiration in the next couple months).

Appetizers, sides, and desserts are now served family style for the table, on formal night every table gets the same appetizer sampler platter, side, and dessert to share (there's no choice), and tablecloths are only used on formal nights.

Yikes. I'm hoping this either bombs or doesn't make it past those few ships. We're going on the Sunshine in September (a friends 30th birthday cruise who refuses to sail on any other line despite comparable prices at the same time) and after seeing this we both agree we would avoid those nights at all costs.

Chiming in again simply to reiterate how ecstatic I am that I quit working for Carnival just about one year ago. I'd like to say there were some aspects of the company that were good, but there really aren't.

^You're going to be very spoiled for future cruises!

My tips would be:

- Make sure to eat at Park Cafe.

- Take the extra 10 minutes to have a personal pizza made for you at Sorrentos.

- Do the zip line on the first day as soon as you get on board (make sure you're wearing closed toed shoes)

- Sign all of the waivers online to save time.

- If you're going to buy the soda package do it Onboard, not ahead of time as you'll get about 2 hours of extra soda time instead of having to wait to go to your cabin to get your special Freestyle cup.

- Do some of the crazy activities.

And a lot more!

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, one of the cruise ship enthusiast boards has a thread about Magic Bands and if they'd be good or bad for Royal Caribbean. Most of the people are so dumb and/or belong to that terrible tan lines website! I'm trying to educate them, but it's pointless. They're all wearing their tin foil hats and freaking out.

Haha, that's awesome. It's actually pretty surprising to me that they have a problem with it at all since it's virtually just your room key in a wristband form! I'm actually surprised the cruise line industry wasn't the first to fully implement it.

Ugh, one of the cruise ship enthusiast boards has a thread about Magic Bands and if they'd be good or bad for Royal Caribbean. Most of the people are so dumb and/or belong to that terrible tan lines website! I'm trying to educate them, but it's pointless. They're all wearing their tin foil hats and freaking out.

Don't you know that a slight tanline on your wrist is equivalent to a death of a thousand papercuts?

Wow!

Hadn't heard about this.

http://gma.yahoo.com/prepared-cruise-ships-overboard-020026448--abc-news-travel.html?vp=1

Carnival Cruise Lines, the industry’s largest cruise line, told “20/20” that extensive “testing at sea has yet to reveal any system that meets its standards.”

Can't meet Carnival's standards?! There's no hope. We might as well off ourselves now, guys!

^I was amused by the reporter's demonstration of "man overboard technology" in which she jumped off a small yacht in front of a surveillance camera that trips an alarm (after shouting "3, 2, 1"). She then asks why cruise ships aren't installing these systems. Well, my guess would be that the requirements for monitoring a huge cruise ship full of drunken passengers are probably a bit more complicated than what you can use on a much smaller yacht that's tied up to a dock in a marina.

Edited by cfc