TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

The Love Boat is going out with a bang!

The MS Pacific, best known as "The Love Boat," is being dismantled at a ship scrapyard in Turkey.

The scrapping of a ship that introduced millions of Americans to cruising has taken a turn from the sad to the tragic as two workers at a shipbreaking facility in Turkey were killed while working on the ship this weekend.

According to Istanbul’s Hurriyet Daily News, the workers were killed by toxic exhaust while using a pump to drain water from the engine room of the MS Pacific at a scrapyard in Izmir after a rough sailing from Genoa, Italy.

Link to article

That really is a fitting ending!

Thought I should drop by to say that I'm currently on the Norwegian Breakaway ship headed for Bermuda. Already been to almost every corner of the ship, starting to try out the restaurants, and don't ask how many times I've been down the slides. I'm about an hour and a half away from my appointment to the ship's ice bar, and my brother (who's already been in it) tells me it's almost too cold for him. Extra jacket it is.

Sure is a step up from my first cruise 4 years ago on Royal's Monarch of the Seas in terms of the ship, but I hope the one destination is going to be as good as the two on the previous ship.

Is this you?

image.thumb.jpg.9662b63a01f99c90da7ce04d77f1146d.jpg

Some good and bad changes out of Disney Cruise Line today...

Yay - No smoking allowed on any stateroom balconies! This is great, because sometimes if you get stuck next to a smoker and the smoke wafts over it can be really annoying. Not to mention many cruise ship fires start from people throwing their cigarette butts over railings!

Boo - Shorts will now be allowed in all of the main dining rooms for dinner service...EVEN ON FORMAL NIGHTS!!!! I get that they're attracting a more 'family' crowd, but they don't need to dumb down to Carnival levels!!! What's the point of even having a formal night if you're allowed to wear freakin shorts!?!?!? Ugh.

Boo - Shorts will now be allowed in all of the main dining rooms for dinner service...EVEN ON FORMAL NIGHTS!!!! I get that they're attracting a more 'family' crowd, but they don't need to dumb down to Carnival levels!!! What's the point of even having a formal night if you're allowed to wear freakin shorts!?!?!? Ugh.

Unfortunately, I see this happening on other non high-end lines like RCCL and NCL soon, too. We've already seen a HUGE volume of people coming to the dining room and formal nights in jeans and T-shirts, not respecting the dress codes at all, and with the cost of cruising not getting any cheaper, the cruise lines almost don't seem to have much choice.

Personally, I hate it. But I guess if you can walk into almost any "nice" Walt Disney World restaurant in short and a T-Shirt for dinner, the same guests are probably asking "Why can't I wear shorts to Animator's Palate?"

--Robb "Idiocracy is really coming true." Alvey

Yay - No smoking allowed on any stateroom balconies! This is great, because sometimes if you get stuck next to a smoker and the smoke wafts over it can be really annoying. Not to mention many cruise ship fires start from people throwing their cigarette butts over railings!

So its more of a casual night now, lol. Unless of course someone wheres some khaki cargo shorts with a tux top, hahaha.

I actually didn't eat at Carthay Circle last time I was at DCA because I didn't feel I was presentable in normal theme park attire. On the flip side however I've seen people get dressed up to go to it so maybe in the future it could work both ways for cruises?

Shorts =/= Fancy Restaurant Attire

So its more of a casual night now, lol. Unless of course someone wheres some khaki cargo shorts with a tux top, hahaha.

I actually had a bad experience with the shorts rule on Carnival. I had no formal clothes and was wearing shorts so I wasn't allowed to sit in the main restaurant because of it. I only had shorts because it was a 4 night cruise. I saw plenty of people wearing jeans that night too. My point is I support what Disney is doing about the shorts because I don't believe people should be forced to dress formally when they're on vacation and it just creates more clothes to pack with plenty of cheap ways to get away with the old rules.

I actually didn't eat at Carthay Circle last time I was at DCA because I didn't feel I was presentable in normal theme park attire.

Does Carthay Circle have a "dress code?" If not, that's kind of a dumb reason for not going to the restaurant.

That's the difference between a theme park restaurant, even if it's a "nice" place, and a cruise ship dining room. There has for decades, up until now, been a "dress code" for the cruise ship dining room.

The HUGE difference between eating at a theme park restaurant, and why I feel it's "ok" to come dressed more casually, is that on a cruise ship, your room with your change of clothes is never far away. Whereas at a theme park, even if you're staying on property, it is sometimes quite a haul to get from the park, to your room, change clothes, and back to a park again, and almost as equally as annoying to bring a change of clothes with you to the park.

I have not been on a cruise ship where my change into formal wear was more than a 5 minute walk from wherever I'm currently at on a ship!

That, IMO, is why I feel it's more acceptable to be in casual attire at a nice theme park restaurant.

--Robb "I wouldn't even think of getting dressed up for Carthay Circle! lol" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Is wearing a suit that fit you 20 pounds ago really formal dining? I'd rather they lower the bar to business casual and actually enforce the dress code. I agree that allowing shorts in a formal dining room is a step too far. It's not that much trouble to pack one pair of pants. You can do it and still travel carry-on only.

I actually had a bad experience with the shorts rule on Carnival. I had no formal clothes and was wearing shorts so I wasn't allowed to sit in the main restaurant because of it. I only had shorts because it was a 4 night cruise. I saw plenty of people wearing jeans that night too. My point is I support what Disney is doing about the shorts because I don't believe people should be forced to dress formally when they're on vacation and it just creates more clothes to pack with plenty of cheap ways to get away with the old rules.

LOL! Figures that support for this would come from a "Carnival" person! I'm sorry, but if you did *ANY* sort of research you would have known to at least pack a pair of pants. It really sucks that this rule is being created because of people like you. The rest of us that actually enjoy cruising for what it has traditionally been for nearly a century is being dumbed down because of people like you. That sucks. Like I said, "Idiocracy."

Yeah, you should probably stick with Carnival.

--Robb "Sounds like you found your PERFECT cruise line!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey