TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Will it be the nail in the coffin now? I wonder how Carnival will wiggle out of this one, if they can.

Not even close. They are just unlucky at the moment and have a little bit of a PR problem. Most of the public will never put all these incidents together and will book a cruise next week because of the price.

No, I would say you probably went over the limit on this one. But how can a ship sail 150km without anyone noticing missing passengers?

Lets see, the couple went overboard around 10 at night. Wouldn't be noticed missing until breakfast the next morning. Pretty easy to see how it could happen.

True, but don't they have ID cards for access? I'm just wondering if it could sound an alarm after a card is for predetermined time left unactivated.

150km is about 3-5 hours depending on ship speed. Just like at a hotel, the card readers on the stateroom doors aren't centrally connected to anything, and although they keep an access log, someone needs to physically connect a computer to the reader to view it. Swiping your card isn't required for accessing any free entertainment or dining venues on the ship, so it's entirely conceivable that someone's card could go untracked for days. On my last cruise my card was only swiped into a computer when I got on and off the ship, which was way more than 4 hours apart.

I'll have a bed check if the bed checker is fit.

Or in this case ship-shape.

But back to the topic, this incident is clearly adding to Carnival's woes since the press is reporting there are security cameras all over the ship. I'm wondering if the two overboard passengers fell from a cabin, or from a public area on the ship?

Now I am scared to go on my Carnival Cruise coming up in September. It's taking us to Mexico, Jamica and Cayman Islands. And there will be five of us in one room. Will it be tight?

You should find out right away what kind of cabin you have, and what are the ages of the five of you? Two parents and three kids? One bathroom? Two bunks and a sofa bed? Sounds REALLY tight unless you have some sort of suite. But I don't even think Carnival offers two rooms suites so you're still kind of screwed on rollaways even if you have a suite.

^Well there's a shocker... Carnival can't catch a break can they. For all the troubles they've had over the last few months, they probably couldn't have done anything about this one.

Now I am scared to go on my Carnival Cruise coming up in September. It's taking us to Mexico, Jamica and Cayman Islands. And there will be five of us in one room. Will it be tight?

You should find out right away what kind of cabin you have, and what are the ages of the five of you? Two parents and three kids? One bathroom? Two bunks and a sofa bed? Sounds REALLY tight unless you have some sort of suite. But I don't even think Carnival offers two rooms suites so you're still kind of screwed on rollaways even if you have a suite.

The ages are 14, 42,43,23 and 8. Is it going to be tight?

No one can tell you how tight its going to be without knowing what type of room you have. But typically, on most ships, 5 is a lot of people in one room. But really, your'e going to be out and about on the ship most of the time anyways.

No one can tell you how tight its going to be without knowing what type of room you have. But typically, on most ships, 5 is a lot of people in one room. But really, your'e going to be out and about on the ship most of the time anyways.

Yeah, the room is primarily used for showers and throwing up. Right Colin?

• 2 weeks later...

^The best part of the story is that a Carnival ship was put on standby in case the Grandeur needed help, but it was quickly decided no help was needed.

Sounds like the fire was in a crew area and there's no power issues with the ship. Interested to hear more. Poor people have to go to Freeport now!

And what's amazing is that RCCL is being so up front and professional with their reporting of this. They actually tweeted a pic of the damage themselves, responding to people who are tweeting at them, and are making people aware of what's really going on. Not trying to hide things, focus attention somewhere else, or blame someone else, etc...

BLR7GXNCUAAri3F.jpg_large.thumb.jpg.a1dca94f52a92ca6cf80b6ff4f137c5f.jpg

And what's amazing is that RCCL is being so up front and professional with their reporting of this. They actually tweeted a pic of the damage themselves, responding to people who are tweeting at them, and are making people aware of what's really going on. Not trying to hide things, focus attention somewhere else, or blame someone else, etc...

They look so much better than Carnival! And the ship still has power!