TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

I wonder how much money has been "sunk" into retrieving the ship so far. Carnival is the parent company of Costa correct? I can't believe how much trouble they have had the past few years, this included. It has gotten way past the point of just being "bad luck" I guess.

Klassy Kruise was in the news again!!!

From Wesh.com:

Carnival ship returns early to Port Canaveral

Carnival Ecstasy loses power briefly

UPDATED 8:40 AM EDT Apr 18, 2013

Carnival cruise ship stranded

U.S. Coast Guard

ORLANDO, Fla. —A Carnival cruise ship returned to Port Canaveral after a brief power issue.

The Ecstasy lost power for about 15 minutes on Wednesday night.

The 5-day cruise was set to end later on Thursday. The ship is based in Brevard County.

It was not immediately clear what caused the power issue.

Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/Carnival-ship-returns-early-to-Port-Canaveral/-/11788162/19797976/-/133jkt0z/-/index.html#ixzz2Qp21pi7B

Edited by SharkTums

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-75479569/

Hoping to improve its tarnished image, Carnival Cruise Lines plans to spend $300 million to add an extra generator in each ship and upgrade fire-suppression systems in response to the high-profile malfunctions that hobbled the Carnival Triumph this year.

The investment will bring Carnival's older ships in line with recent standards that require cruise ships built in the last few years to provide passengers with working bathrooms, ventilation and other basic services in the event of an accident, said Andrew O. Coggins, Jr., a professor of management at Pace University's Lubin School of Business in New York.

The one good thing about Carnival's shoddy maintenance is that it means Jewel of the Seas will have Cozumel all to itself on my cruise in two weeks. I doubt that the Carnival Triumph will be able to make it there.

Wow, actually just kidding, this doesn't surprise me!

We tried Carnival once on the Dream and won't sail on them for a LONG time. Although we had a fun time, it just doesn't compare to RCCL. There are too many beautiful ships out there to waste a vacation with Carnival! Besides that, we don't want to pay for a vacation where power outages and loss of toilets is common!

I used to want Costa to revive the Concordia but they will scrap it, I mean just look at the deterioration already.

Well, the Klassy Kruise company is back in the news...what's new.

Carnival cancels more Triumph sailings after mishap

The latest mishap on the Carnival Triumph has resulted in the cancellation of two more sailings.

Carnival says voyages scheduled for June 3 and June 8 have been eliminated so the 2,758-passenger vessel can spend 10 more days undergoing repairs.

The beleaguered cruise ship suffered a 20-foot-long gash on April 3 when it broke free from its moorings at a shipyard in Mobile, Ala. during a fierce storm. The damage occurred as the vessel was undergoing repairs following a much-publicized fire in February.

Carnival originally said the new damage to the ship was limited.

"We're extremely disappointed to have to cancel these additional voyages and, although the cause was beyond our control, we sincerely apologize to our guests for this disruption to their vacation plans," Carnival president and CEO Gerry Cahill says in a statement. "We know how much our guests were looking forward to their vacations and we sincerely regret the inconvenience this will cause."

Carnival now has cancelled 26 voyages on the Carnival Triumph since the February fire, which knocked out the ship's main power and left it dead in the water.

Carnival says passengers on the two newly cancelled Triumph sailings will receive a full refund, reimbursement for travel expenses and a future cruise discount of 25% of the amount paid for the sailing.

Carnival also announced that it will be moving the Carnival Triumph from Mobile to a repair yard in the Bahamas for the completion of repair work.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/04/19/carnival-cancels-triumph-sailings/2096197/

I honestly can't understand why anyone could be attracted to sail on the Carnival Ecstasy or any of her sister ships?? Like do people look at the ship before they sail, they are the ugliest things on water (inside and out!) Trashy!! Def. not worth $38...would rather save that for a sweater or other type of souvenir in the Logo shop aboard a Royal Caribbean ship!

It's only time until they add a bungee jump to one of these. Whether it's via a catwalk/plank walk to the edge (like a pirate ) or using something like that observation lever.

By the way, what about the balancing of the ship when theres a large crane full of people hanging off the side of it. I assume it could very slightly tilt the ship to one side whenever they put it to use?

A ship of this size weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 100,000 tons. This crane with 8 people aboard probably weighs somewhere in the 2 ton range. This is .002% of the ships weight. It would take a lot more than that to tilt it.

Oooooooo! A 200' S&S drop tower, while the ship is listing in high seas would make for an awesome ride!

This is a great idea! Is there any reason why a ship can't put all of the rides that ever been a top of the Stratosphere Tower on board?

Oooooooo! A 200' S&S drop tower, while the ship is listing in high seas would make for an awesome ride!

This is a great idea! Is there any reason why a ship can't put all of the rides that ever been a top of the Stratosphere Tower on board?

Ummm.... clearances? Even the smoke stacks on Allure and Oasis can be lowered in order to sail under bridges.

^Ture; however, a tower that is as high as the smoke stacks and drops to the lower decks would be pretty spectacular. Something like the Intimin system on Lex Luthor that isn't a full tower, but rather a track attached to a structure. I vote for this.

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

A ship of this size weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 100,000 tons. This crane with 8 people aboard probably weighs somewhere in the 2 ton range. This is .002% of the ships weight. It would take a lot more than that to tilt it.

I would imagine that wind loading on the ship would tilt it a lot more than the weight of the Northstar arm.

Ummm.... clearances? Even the smoke stacks on Allure and Oasis can be lowered in order to sail under bridges.

The tower could be placed on a lower deck too.

Do all cruise ships have to sail under bridges? I would think there are some that don't.

Boy, the more I think about my earlier post, about putting Stratosphere rides on a cruise ship, the more ideas I come up with. How about a launched coaster like an Xcelerator, Full Throttle, or a Verbolten? Or what about a kuka arm ride like Forbidden Journey? It could travel around on a flat deck on the top, or drop down the side and run over the water hanging about 5' beyond the balconies. Imagine the airtime hills over the water, then a corkscrew and helix over, or in front/behind of the bow or stern and returning on the other side of the ship. The navy has been catapulting planes off of a flat top for 70 years now on a 5000+ person ship. Is it time to make a real "Top Gun" ride???

Then how about adding a dark ride?

All this, plus Xscream, Insanity, Big Shot, and Sky Jump off of the Stratosphere, and all of the things that are already going on the Quantum. Then some other things off of other ships, such as a rock wall, watercoaster, and water park.

This thing could be an entertainment mecca!!! Really, the only limitations would be cost and maintenance. Structurally, the Navy operates plane parking areas on the top level that hang way over the sides, so you can put a lot of weight up there and still keep er balanced. Now, I've haven't been on a cruise yet, so is this realistic to do on the waves?

Edited by blade1

^Cost and Maintenance is the main reason why you won't see it. You are talking multi-million dollar rides that wouldn't receive a return on their investment. They would have to charge you over 100 bucks a ride (if not more) just to recoup their costs.