TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

I like how, faced with that list, a representative says "“All modes of transportation, including cruise ships, have strong overall safety records but sometimes technical issues such as the one Carnival Dream is experiencing will occur from time to time."

Really? RCCL is on that list once in the last 5 years! LOL, some people seem to be lying to themselves.

“Given that you reportedly pay little or nothing in federal taxes, do you intend to reimburse the Coast Guard and the Navy for the cost of responding to either the Carnival Splendor marine casualty or the Carnival Triumph marine casualty?” wrote Rockefeller.

This. Is. AWESOME.

“It is subject to no US labor wage laws. [Carnival has] also escaped US safety occupational hazard safety laws,” James Walker, a maritime lawyer who represents clients seeking legal action against the cruise line industry, told Quartz. “This gives it tremendous advantage over any other form of transportation or hospitality or entertainment business here, all of which have the labor, wage or tax consequences of being a US business.”

Yep, nice to know I can still freely gamble my hard earned money by taking a Carnival cruise any day I want, but I still can't log onto PokerStars and gamble there.

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I'd give anything to watch Mickey Arison sink to the bottom of the Atlantic on one of his private megayachts. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever give Carnival a dime from my pocket.

But another key reason is that Carnival has a terrific business model. For one thing, even though it’s headquartered in Miami, it’s incorporated in Panama.

“It is subject to no US labor wage laws. [Carnival has] also escaped US safety occupational hazard safety laws,” James Walker, a maritime lawyer who represents clients seeking legal action against the cruise line industry, told Quartz. “This gives it tremendous advantage over any other form of transportation or hospitality or entertainment business here, all of which have the labor, wage or tax consequences of being a US business.”

Sounds terrific if you're a shareholder, but not so much if you're a passenger or crewmember on one of their ships--and they get "free" resuces courtesy of U.S. taxpayers. Yes, other cruise lines take advantage of registering their ships in countries other than the U.S., but they don't seem to have nearly as many problems as Carinval.

Edited by cfc

Now, to compare Carnival to RCCL or other lines: They are all incorporated outside of the US, so what specifically makes/allows Carnival to operate with such poor standards and the other lines 'seem' to operate to higher standards? Obviously, lower standards equate to higher profits, but then why don't other lines do this, or do they and we aren;t aware of it yet? Or, in RCCl's case, are they just holding themselves to a proper high standard even though they aren't required to by their incorporated country.

^ Karnival simply caters to a low class demographic, and can therefore get away with offering an inferior product. And if you never get anything but a slap on the wrist, or your stock never plummets without ever recovering after you openly disregard environmental laws, your fleet consistently suffers mechanical problems, or even when you kill 32 people from a captain's negligence, why would you worry? Just keep providing sh!tty service to the peasants who enjoy a low class vacation in "paradise," and they'll ultimately keep your pockets filled.

Most other lines don't choose to act and/or follow a "klassy" business model the way Karnival's management does because the other lines have better ethics and morals......thankfully. I honestly think it's just as simple as that.

And I don't apologize to those who support them either. The truth hurts sometimes.

Since the dead horse apparently needed further beating, the guy that did F&@%ING CRUISE SHIP and F&@%ING LAS VEGAS made another video -- F&@%ING CRUISE SHIP 2. This one took place on Freedom of the Seas:

Well this is unfortunate:

FBI looks at cruise ship death out of Baltimore

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Royal Caribbean says the FBI is investigating a death aboard one of its cruise ships.

The Enchantment of the Seas returned to Baltimore as scheduled Monday after a 62-year-old woman was found dead in her cabin Sunday.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. says in a statement that it contacted the FBI and local police as part of standard procedures, and FBI agents boarded the ship when it arrived in Baltimore.

The woman's name and hometown were not released, although Royal Caribbean says she was American. The company says her husband found her dead.

The Enchantment of the Seas sailed to Florida and the Bahamas on a seven-night trip.

It has been a week without any Klassy news. Are all carnival ships accounted for or are there any floating in the Atlantic without any plumbing?

They are all in dry dock getting repaired!

My fiance and I are planning on taking a 3 or 4 day Royal Caribbean cruise honeymoon, probably in early December from Florida to the Bahamas. This will be my first cruise and she has only taken 1 a long time ago.

For those of you that have experience in this, how far in advance would you suggest to book? Do the prices fluctuate like airline prices do, or do they stay fairly consistent? Right now Expedia has a $100 lower price than Royal Caribbean does on their website. Is this common? We would have booked already, but we don't know exactly what days we are going yet.

Is this a good time to cruise? Will this time frame keep us out of hurricane season? Will it keep us away from the most crowded times of the year? Thanks.