TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Am I the only one who thinks a passanger (or passangers) on the bus/ship either, sold their soul to the devil to go on the cruise, or brought a cursed item aboard the ship?

I mean what are the chances that the ship breaks down, and then you go on a tour bus (which rarely break down) and that breaks down also?

*I am only half kidding*

Something that just dawned on me: This was the same ship that was briefly seized by U.S. Marshal's because of a lawsuit over the Concordia disaster. Mentioned in that lawsuit was how Triumph allegedly suffered from "dangerous" design flaws that factored into the Concordia disaster.

Something that just dawned on me: This was the same ship that was briefly seized by U.S. Marshal's because of a lawsuit over the Concordia disaster. Mentioned in that lawsuit was how Triumph allegedly suffered from "dangerous" design flaws that factored into the Concordia disaster.

I don't think I've heard that, but I have heard that the ship has been plagued with several electrical problems in the past. Carnival also KNEW about these problems and sent the ship out anyway.

I found an article on it being previously seized at cruisefever.net/0402-carnival-triumph-is-seized-over-lawsuit-before-allowed-to-leave-port/

The effects of the Costa Concordia wreck are still wreaking havoc on Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) as Saturday brought news of the Carnival Triumph being held as security over a lawsuit against its European sister company. US marshals were called in the seize the ship for a brief period of time at the Texas port of Galveston.

The lawsuit was levied by the family of a German tourist who died on the Costa Concordia. Plaintiff attorney, John Eaves, stated that his intent was not to inconvenience the passengers aboard the Triumph who were about to sail on a 5 day cruise to Mexico, but that he was trying to make a point.

What point? That the Carnival Triumph has some of the same safety issues that the Costa Concordia had. The lawsuit claims that the cruise line was not doing enough to address these safety concerns, and the plaintiff felt this was the only way to really get Carnival’s attention.

Eaves would not release all of the details of the conversation with Carnival but mentioned that the seizure of the ship would be released if the cruise line agreed to post a $10 million security bond in the German tourist’s lawsuit.

While the ship was seized passengers were still allowed to get on and off the ship, but the departure was delayed slightly while the details of the lawsuit were being negotiated.

A deal was struck not long after the seizure and the 2,700 plus passengers aboard the Carnival Triumph were able to resume their 5 day vacation cruise to the Yucatan peninsula and Cozumel.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of Siglinde Stumpf, claims that Carnival shared responsibility for Stumpf’s death for not preparing and maintaining proper safety programs for all vessels under its control, including the ill-fated Costa Concordia.

Eaves hopes to be able to convince Carnival to campaign for changes in maritime law and also to train its captains better. After not being able to get Carnival’s attention he hopes this will wake them up and has stated, “We want a uniform set of safety standards, and we won’t stop until we get it.”

It’s hard to say that Carnival has not already woken up to these facts though, after considering the $139 million net loss in the same quarter that profited them $152 million just the year before. The fallout from the Costa Concordia wreck will continue to have ripple effects through 2012 and beyond, but with safety changes being made even now in the cruise industry it will result in a safer experience for all future cruisers.

I'd say it's a little early to be filing a suit, too. However, I don't know enough about what happened to say that there are no grounds for a civil action.

Guess again.

It took only hours for the first lawsuit to be filed, by a Texas woman who claimed in federal court that she suffered physical and emotional harm because Carnival failed to provide a seaworthy vessel and sanitary conditions, Reuters reported. Other lawsuits were expected.

So parents planned a last minute cruise this March on a Holland America ship. Since this is my first time sailing with them, anyone know what I should expect in terms of things to do onboard like activities/shows/etc?

Edited by netdvn

So folks planned a last minute cruise this March on a Holland America ship. Since this is my first time sailing with them, anyone know what I should expect in terms of things to do onboard in terms of activities/shows/etc?

Shitting in a bag apparantly.

This is why I will NEVER go on a cruise! I'll take a simple bus trip, thank you, at least if the bus breaks down, I can go to the bathroom at a rest stop!

This is such a stupid and uneducated statement to make. There are plenty of cruise lines and ships that are fantastic.

This is just as dumb of a statement as someone saying they will "never ride another roller coaster again" because the only coaster they've ridden is an SLC.

--Robb

^^ You're definitely missing out on a good time. One accident on what everyone calls the Wal-Mart of the seas shouldn't turn people off from an awesome experience.

- Next everyone's gonna say roller coasters are unsafe too

EDIT: Looks like Robb beat me to the punch

What are the chances that the ship mysteriously disappears from Carnival's fleet within a few months and suddenly Costa has a replacement for Concordia?

Knowing Carnival, they'd pass it off as a new ship.

Wouldn't surprise me.....

I didn't mean to sound offensive to people who enjoy cruises, if you like to do it, fine. I also happen to be scared of deep water, so that's another reason why cruises are not for me. Again, I apologize if I offended anybody, sorry.

I think a central park view, balcony cabin on a Royal Caribbean Oasis class ship is just what you need.

I didn't mean to sound offensive to people who enjoy cruises, if you like to do it, fine. I also happen to be scared of deep water, so that's another reason why cruises are not for me. Again, I apologize if I offended anybody, sorry.

Saying this makes a lot more sense. You didn't offend anyone, you just came off sounding really dumb. It makes a lot more sense for someone to say "I don't like roller coasters because I'm scared of heights."

You don't single out one roller coaster accident at a crappy park or one cruise ship incident on an awful line and tell people "THIS is why *I* don't participate in an activity" as though this one happening is representative of an entire industry to which you pass judgement on, and you know better or are above those who like to cruise

Now do you understand why I made the response I did?

Edited by robbalvey

I was "stranded" on Independence of the Seas while all this was going down. The CNN International channel on the ship was covering this constantly, so there were a lot of people on board talking about Carnival (the Cruise Director even took some pot shots at Carnival during one of the shows).

I did run into one guy wearing a t-shirt and jeans in Portofino (the upscale Italian restaurant on the ship) who said that he really didn't like Royal Caribbean very much and would stick with Carnival for his next cruise despite what had happened.

I did run into one guy wearing a t-shirt and jeans in Portofino (the upscale Italian restaurant on the ship) who said that he really didn't like Royal Caribbean very much and would stick with Carnival for his next cruise despite what had happened.

Klassy!

Seriously, though, there is a HUGE market for trashy cruise ships since there are a lot of trashy people in the world. Just look at your average person that walks into Wal-Mart and buys a case of Bud Light. They are your Carnival audience!

And as I said before, if it wasn't for Carnival, some of these trashy people might be on a cruise ship that I want to travel on! So thankfully, there is a "home" for many of them to go to so they won't be bothering me!

^^I think it's safe to say many of them will go right ahead and stick with Carnival. Some of the things I've read regarding the whole Trimph mess just amaze me. I can't count how many people I have seen saying how much they love Carnival, they can't wait to get back on a Carnival ship and none of it was Carnival's fault. How can there be so many people out there who want to throw their money away?