TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Now that they are off, they get to endure a 2 hour bus ride to New Orleans, or a 7 hour ride to Galveston. The mayor of Mobile said they had plenty of rooms only a 5 minute bus ride away, and that they had 2 airports close by and he has no clue why Carnival isn't utilizing those resources. I went to Cruisecritic just to see some of the insane Carnival fanboys and I couldn't stay on the site for literally more than 2 minutes. Someone actually posted, "It's not Carnival's fault!" I couldn't take anymore after that. I also loved how some defenders said, it could happen on any cruise line. Yeah, but it doesn't, it only happens on Carnival. I think the Carnival fanboys may be the worst fanboys anywhere, and that's saying a whole lot!

^^ Two minutes on CruiseCritic? That's two minutes more than I would have had the patience for!

Without question, the way Karnival has handled this media relations disaster stems directly from Mickey Arison's ego.....I 100% guarantee that. He's been my least favorite CEO for decades, and shows no signs of giving up that top spot.

The one thing that's bothered me about the passengers is all of the damage that they caused on purpose. I get that it must have been terrible and sucked so bad, but was it really appropriate to tag up the ship, ruin tons of sheets, towels, etc. with Sharpie? Again, just shows me the klass level of some of the passengers.

Please understand that I'm talking about the people that drew on walls, sheets, mattresses, towels, etc. I'm not talking about people who made tents and moved their stuff, that's fine, but people who ruined these items with permanent marker and god knows what else they had.

^I'm almost willing to give you that for the sheets, towels, mattresses, etc. Although I do think most of that stuff could/will be salvaged with some high temperature washing!

But did you see people that were drawing on the walls of the ship, like on the metal, on tables, etc.? Seemed really low klass to me.

But did you see people that were drawing on the walls of the ship, like on the metal, on tables, etc.? Seemed really low klass to me.

No, I hadn't seen that yet. Definitely low klass....but right on par though.

I'll tell ya though, I still think the biggest positive for Karnival is that most of their workforce is comprised of foreigners. There's no way in hell Americans would continue to work through those conditions at that payrate. There would be an absolute mutiny if something like this happened with an American workforce! I cringe at the thought.

Edited by BeemerBoy

The one thing that's bothered me about the passengers is all of the damage that they caused on purpose. I get that it must have been terrible and sucked so bad, but was it really appropriate to tag up the ship, ruin tons of sheets, towels, etc. with Sharpie? Again, just shows me the klass level of some of the passengers.

Please understand that I'm talking about the people that drew on walls, sheets, mattresses, towels, etc. I'm not talking about people who made tents and moved their stuff, that's fine, but people who ruined these items with permanent marker and god knows what else they had.

Making a bad situation worse is, unfortunately, part of the mentality of a big chunk of humanity; some people truly are just one meal away from barbarism.

Edited by cfc

LOL! Like none of us saw this coming!!!

From CBS News

Carnival rescue bus breaks down while bringing passengers home

Oh, but Elissa, this is a very "bearable" situation for them. And they have it pretty good, the passengers on the Carnival Splendor had to WALK thousands of miles back home! They should be so lucky to have a broken bus for shelter.

This is really god damn funny! lol

Kim McKerreghan stood clutching an "I love my cruise" bag in one hand and her 10-year-old daughter Allie Taylor in the other.

Allie had sailed on the cruise, her second, with her father and some friends.

"It got super duper scary" after the engine fire, she said, standing in the parking lot in flip flops. "I said ‘Daddy, what’s going on?’ and he said ‘I don’t know.'"

Later, Allie said she ended up being the stabilizing influence -- when her father ran out of snuff.

"I tried to calm him down," she said.

Ladies and gentlemen, your Karnival clientele at its finest.

Kim McKerreghan stood clutching an "I love my cruise" bag in one hand and her 10-year-old daughter Allie Taylor in the other.

Allie had sailed on the cruise, her second, with her father and some friends.

"It got super duper scary" after the engine fire, she said, standing in the parking lot in flip flops. "I said ‘Daddy, what’s going on?’ and he said ‘I don’t know.'"

Later, Allie said she ended up being the stabilizing influence -- when her father ran out of METH.

"I tried to calm him down," she said.

Ladies and gentlemen, your Karnival clientele at its finest.

Fixed.

I have yet to hear any passenger say anything good about this ordeal.

Most passengers said the actual crew on the ship were doing the best the could and very helpful. Meaning the "hourly/front line" workers, I'm not defending Carnival or the executives at all.

^ That's about what I've heard too. That the staff did what they could, but Carnival really told them nothing about the status overall. Several people said they heard the news about going to Mobile and the later arrival from loved ones who they were able to get texts from well before they told anyone on the ship what was actually going on.

I just can't believe that there isn't some way to drain the sewage to the sea in an emergency. Or helicopter drops of food and water bottles.

Sounds like the Superbowl all over, as far as destruction goes. But at least there haven't been any rape reports yet.

Has anyone seen the AMA.. Ask me anything from one of the passengers of the cruise? reddit ama

It's a fascinating read. I thought this was particularly interesting....

I'm sure there was some kind of waiver that you had to sign before boarding - would that prevent you from filing any sort of lawsuit in the future?
Yes, definitely! No waiver, but on the check that they will send us it's like signing a settlement. We are for sure holding off on cashing those in and we are going to participate in a class action. Nothing will stop since the unsanitary environment and how my mom is sick because of it.