TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

I just got off the Epic yesterday and we purchased an All-you-can-drink package. We ended up getting close to our monies worth, however the ability to order a drink at any time and not have to worry about wasting something I didn't like was great. Tried many new drinks just so I could, and always had a drink or two with dinner. The price was $49 a day plus gratuity and included beers $5.50 or less and achohol with a $6.25 price or less (Made no sense to us, and had to have it cleared up that it was the price of the "shot" or type being poured, not the drink price). This is my second time getting a beverage package like this, did it with Celebrity back in 2010. Both times, I felt like it was worth the price.

Not sure if anyone else has been on the Epic, but that is quite the ship. We had a great time despite reading some bad reviews. My first time on NCL, and probably wont' be my last. I was very impressed with the level of service and quality of food. This coming from someone who last cruised on Celebrity... (Yea it wasn't to that level, but still at a very high one). The ship is spectacular and had lots of great features that I really enjoyed, including some kick ass waterslides.

None the less, just wanted to throw my two cents in.

Robb, the ship was wonderful and a had a lot going on. I really enjoyed Howl at the Moon as well as Blue Man Group, We got a pretty reasonable Balcony, however I understand the Haven Suites are awesome. I did feel that quite often I was getting nickle and dimed, but there was plenty to do on board that was free. They did have a very cool Deal or No Deal gameshow that used pretty cool techology, as well as some fun contests during the week. Looked like there was plenty of good stuff for the kids too with Nickelodeon.

The whole freestyle concept took some getting used to, however once we got settled, it was kind of nice chosing when and where we wanted to eat.

^ Yeah, it's the Freestyle thing that... well... I just flat out don't like. I really like having the same server in the dining room every night, and especially on a longer cruise, and when we have a lot of picky eaters in our family, they get to know you, many times by day two. When we did our NCL ship, our biggest complaint was that lack of service, and we found that every night we were having to re-explain over and over what we wanted to eat and it just got annoying. "Yes, plain pasta... no... no green stuff, just 'plain'... no... that means we don't need sauce...or butter... right... 'plain.'" (repeat seven times to seven different people...not all of them who got the order correctly...)

You know, it's just nice that your assigned wait staff catch on to what drinks you order every night, what kind of bread is your favourite, and they cater to that more and more. We didn't get any of that level of service on NCL because each night was a totally different wait staff.

It's probably the main reason why we haven't done a repeat cruise on NCL, but we did like it much better than Carnival (I mean, getting kicked in the balls is better than Carnival), but I think we prefer the dining room set up to the RCCL, Princess, and Disney ships.

Even on Disney, where you rotate through three different dining rooms, your wait staff goes with you...which was an AMAZING touch! Like I would *LOVE* if NCL's Freestyle was a system where you started off in the main dining room, and you picked which restaurants you wanted to eat at the rest of the cruise, and your dining room staff went with you. That would be Freestyle Cruising I'd sign up for!

That being said, though, one of these days when we see those $199 Epic specials come up again, we might give it a try.

--Robb "We're very routine people and NCL just doesn't work that well for us." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/msc-preziosa-boasts-new-aqua-park-and-vertigo-the-longest-waterslide-on-the-waves-2012-12-05

With less than four months to the official inaugural of its newest vessel, the MSC Preziosa, MSC Cruises is proud to announce the fleet's latest innovative feature: the Doremi Castle Aqua Park and Vertigo.

Doremi Castle Aqua Park (located on MSC Preziosa's deck 16) boasts an exhilarating pathway of water features on raised platforms including sprays, fountains, water pistols and valves, each designed to splash, soak and delight in equal measures. A drenching bucket builds suspense by filling up drip by drip over unsuspecting heads, ready to rain down from on high, while the area's water cannons encourage mischievous fun between friends.

While children under 47 inches are not permitted to ride the Vertigo waterslide, a slew of fun features, including double and single slides, will ignite imaginations and spark creativity for MSC Preziosa's smallest guests. Children's Club staff supervise the area daily.

Next to the park (on deck 18), thrill seekers can embark on the wildest ride on the waves through 394 feet of fabulous twists and turns some even off the side of the ship. Certain sections of the slide have been enhanced with translucent bands of colour which catch light, creating a strobe effect as guests zip through at top speed.

As the Vertigo slide shoots out over the edge of the ship, a 30-ft. transparent stretch allows riders to experience "flying over water" with unobstructed views of the ocean below. Spectators who won't dare ride for themselves can enjoy the adventurous views from decks below.

Quick Facts:

• MSC Preziosa's waterslide is over 42 ft. high, and 394 ft. long, with a diameter of 3 ft.
  • The maximum weight of each rider is 330 pounds, and the minimum height is 47 inches.
  • Riders will travel at an average speed of 20 feet per second.

As a family-owned company, MSC prides itself in ensuring that there's never a dull moment for families on board, with abundant features that appeal to children, teenagers and the young at heart.

Access to the Vertigo waterslide and waterpark are complimentary. Hours of the waterslide are likely to fluctuate depending on itinerary and season, so guests should check times daily.

For more information about MSC Cruises, visit http://www.msccruisesusa.com or call 1-877-665-4655.

MOD-109192_Vertigo1.jpg.2a52a5c53a2d0b0a7f9a81dba32965bf.jpg

^That does seem rather high.

Looks like a good addition, but how about one of those dropping slides off the side of the ship (no not into the ocean).

That would only be for those who want to bail on a Carnival cruise.

Looks like a good addition, but how about one of those dropping slides off the side of the ship (no not into the ocean).

The way things are evolving so quick with waterslides on cruise ships, I wouldn't be surprised to see a dropping body slide!

The way things are evolving so quick with waterslides on cruise ships, I wouldn't be surprised to see a dropping body slide!

It would be great to see an AquaLoop or something off the side of a ship! Or from one of the higher decks to one of the lower decks that is open air.

Another great Carnival story! While the norovirus is very common, the way they handled it was classic Carnival!

First they said only 160 got it.

www.foxnews.com/health/2012/12/13/passengers-call-cruise-plague-ship-after-hundreds-reportedly-fall-ill-from/?intcmp=obnetwork

Then they said 300

www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelvideo/9745284/PandO-apologise-for-Oriana-norovirus-outbreak.html

Then the port authority says it was over 400. On top of that, they didn't really take care of the other passengers waiting to board for the next cruise.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-20723481

I'm not really a cruise ship person as the visits to each port are mostly way to short for my taste.

But I love to cross the Atlantic on board a Cunard Queen. There's great food and great drinks - at quite reasonable toll-/tax-free prices. The most classy way to start a US vacation!

Like Green Thunder on the Carnical Spirit:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/8471-royal-caribbean-orders-third-oasis-class-ship-from-stx-france.html

Royal Caribbean Orders Third Oasis-Class Ship from STX France

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. announced today that it has executed a contract with STX France to construct a third Oasis-class vessel for delivery in mid-2016.

In addition is an option for a second ship with a potential delivery in mid-2018.

This order is consistent with the plan announced by the company in October to build a sister-ship to the very successful Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas.

“The Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas have fundamentally transformed the cruise experience for our guests,” said Richard D. Fain, chairman and chief executive officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

“These ships have consistently generated outstanding guest satisfaction ratings and continue to produce superior financial results. We are thrilled to be adding a sister to this extraordinary class of vessels at a compelling price. Being back building in France just adds to the pleasure.”

“STX France is proud to partner with Royal Caribbean again and continue our decades-long relationship by building the third Oasis-class ship,” said Laurent Castaing, chief executive officer of STX France. “Royal Caribbean has always been an important part of our shipyard’s success, and we are delighted to add this highly innovative and spectacular ship to the list of vessels we have built together.”

The newbuild contract includes the transfer of Pullmantur’s Atlantic Star as part of the consideration.

Oasis and Allure were built by STX Finland, and there had been a lot of talk in the past year of RCI ordering a third Oasis-class ship if they could get appropriate financing from the Finnish government. Looks like those talks fell through and they signed a contract with STX's France shipyard instead. STX France has some experience with large ships, as they built the QM2 and the NCL Epic. They also built the Sovereign-class and four of the Vision-class ships for RCI in the 80s and 90s.