TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Tonight was "Cunard Day" in Hamburg, where the gigantic Queen Elisabeth ship "met" the even gigantic-er Queen Mary 2. I managed to get a pretty good seat for the action, but there were literally thousands packed down in the harbor trying to see everything. Here's a nice pic and a video will be uploaded by the morning

qm2.thumb.jpg.b0cc853fff9368ac53bfdbf15a444021.jpg

It's rare for two huge ships like this to be here at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After the tests that Royal Caribbean and Celebrity did, they came out and said they would NOT be offering the packages on US based cruises in the near future.

The idea of unlimited on a US Based Carnival cruise terrifies me!!!!!

After the tests that Royal Caribbean and Celebrity did, they came out and said they would NOT be offering the packages on US based cruises in the near future.

Sounds like a wise decision.

Oh, this will end well. Seriously, I'd ask if anyone that works at Carnival has a brain, but after being on one of their horrid death ships, I already know the answer to that...

dt

Oh, Carnival....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/coast-guard-searching-for-man-21-who-jumped-from-carnival-fascination-cruise-ship/2012/08/28/ea059cf4-f10e-11e1-b74c-84ed55e0300b_story.html

Coast Guard searching for man, 21, who jumped from Carnival Fascination cruise ship

ACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for a 31-year-old man who authorities say jumped from the Carnival Fascination cruise ship.

Officials say a security guard saw the man leap into the water from a 10th floor deck early Tuesday. Officials say he fell about 87-feet into the water.

Crewmembers aboard the cruise ship reported the incident to the Coast Guard Sector Jacksonville command center at 2:09 a.m. Tuesday.

The Coast Guard says has three ships, a motor life boat and a helicopter are currently searching the waters off Ponce De Leon for the man.

The passenger’s name has not been released.

No further details were immediately available.

^Not to rehash everything again, but yes it is!

Seriously, usually when I get off a ship I'm happy to just go home and eat something at home because I feel I've been spoiled and eaten too much on the cruise. I'll never forget when we all got off the Klassy Kruise and made plans to go to Outback Steakhouse that night because we needed REAL food!!!!

Oh man...this is amazing!!!

New information about that guy who 'jumped' off the Carnival ship!!!

From CruiseCritic.com

Man Overboard Cruise Tragedy Takes New Twist

(1:30 p.m. EDT) -- A 31-year-old man went overboard from Carnival Fascination this week in sight of a ship security officer, but the tragedy was not a suicide, Cruise Critic has learned.

The incident, which occurred in the early hours of August 28, as the ship was 30 miles off of Cape Canaveral, involved a U.S. Army sergeant who was taking a vacation before shipping out to duty in Afghanistan. Sergeant Ronald Kemp, our source tells us, was intoxicated and had entered a crew-only area of the ship. There he was confronted by a female crewmember, who told him to leave. A physical confrontation ensued, during which time a security officer pepper sprayed Kemp, who then fled. Security gave chase, and Kemp ran up to the Verandah deck, one deck above the Lido deck. In order to evade security, he jumped over the railing, falling one level and landing on the Lido, and then continued to flee before grabbing a life ring and leaping overboard.

Carnival would not respond to our request to confirm any details beyond its prepared statement, which said that "earlier this morning at approximately 2:05 a.m., a 31-year-old male guest was witnessed jumping overboard from the Carnival Fascination while the vessel was roughly 30 miles off the coast of Cape Canaveral. Several life rings were immediately thrown into the water, and the ship performed a maneuver designed to take it back to the location where the overboard occurred.

"The ship's command immediately notified all appropriate authorities, including the U.S. Coast Guard, and commenced search and rescue operations. Carnival Fascination was released from the search by the U.S. Coast Guard earlier this morning. However, the U.S.C.G. is continuing the search and rescue effort. Carnival's CareTeam is reaching out to the missing guest's family to offer support."

After releasing Carnival Fascination from the search effort, the U.S. Coast Guard and some crew from the Air Force Reserve 920th Rescue Wing at Patrick Air Force Base continued to search through late Wednesday night. The search was suspended after crews covered 2,375 square miles over a 35-hour period.

Sergeant Kemp was on active duty with the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division and had served twice in Iraq, FloridaToday.com reported. He was scheduled to depart for a tour of duty to Afghanistan soon after the cruise.