TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

Shares of Carnival stock, which is listed both in London and New York, plunged 20% in early trading Monday in London.

Ya know.... GOOD! As much as I'm not a Carnival fan, and I really would hate to see this kind of thing happen on ANY cruise line, there is still NO EXCUSE for some of the procedures and events that occurred.

I really hope this forces Carnival to step up their game. Clearly they are lying when they say "Passenger safety is our primary concern" because if it was, that ship wouldn't have been anywhere near those rocks, and that Captain would not have abandoned the ship.

Personally I feel that Carnival has a lot of explaining to do, and a lot of changes company wide that are going to have to be made.

IMO, this is the equivalent to a park chain like Six Flags or Cedar Fair having a major coaster accident, with fatalities, and it turns out no safety spiel pre-ride was ever given, no employees were trained to react in a situation, there was a known lack of maintenance, and the park president went to Starbucks instead of helping the injured guests. Disgusting.

I can only imagine how much the Carnival Corporate HQ must be freaking out right now, and they SHOULD be!!!

--Robb "Crap like this isn't supposed to happen...and could have been totally avoided!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

And on the subject of Micky Arison.........

Shares of Carnival (CCL), worth $47 a piece in January of last year, were already on a downward decline when the Concordia grounded; they had closed last Friday at just over $34 a share. The crash, according to Carnival, could cost the company $100 million outright, or $.11-$.12 per share. Analysts across the board have been downgrading the stock in wake of the tragedy.

The news sunk Carnival’s stock this morning when the U.S. markets opened; shares quickly dropped by 13%. Micky Arison, who owns roughly 29% of the company, personally lost about $500 million in the opening minutes. This puts Arison, who gets most of his fortune from the shares (though he also has cash from dividends and owns the Miami Heat) on the fast track for our list of “biggest losers” for our upcoming March Billionaires issue.

WOW.

SOURCE

*insert obligatory Miami Heat losing joke here*

Seriously though, I'm with Robb. I know that in such a large corporation you can't keep track of everything, but there are also lots of things that are corporate policies standardized throughout the different companies. I would assume that captain training and emergency procedures would some of those things.

Something else that stands out to me is that this practice of "saluting the island" seems to be a longstanding tradition. I would be willing to bet lots of people (including those high up in the company) knew of it.

Something else that stands out to me is that this practice of "saluting the island" seems to be a longstanding tradition. I would be willing to bet lots of people (including those high up in the company) knew of it.

As you mentioned, TNTornadox posted a video of this happening in 2010 a few pages back.

Here is his link http://video.corriere.it/nave-concordia-al-giglio-/9dfa5ea6-3e9b-11e1-8b52-5f77182bc574

Edited by Chroniq

^^Yeah, who the hell didn't realize that this 'saluting the island' idea was a bad one!?!?!?

It's the equivalent of 10 747's 'buzzing' a building. Yeah, great idea. Sure most of the time everything will go just fine and it will be great for the spectators, but come on?!!!?

Apparently the rock in question was well known locally as 'Satan's tooth'. I'm not sure the chart thing will hold up.

The other interesting story from the UK was the survivor who worked as a magician's assistant and was in a box just off stage when the ship struck the rock.

Finally I am the only one sad enough to want to try the water slide in it's current position?

Tripped and Fell into the lifeboat? Sounds legit. lol

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022170/Costa-Concordia-captain-says-he-tripped-and-fell-into-lifeboat.html

The captain of the crippled Costa Concordia cruise ship, Francesco Schettino, has reportedly said the reason he was in a lifeboat while thousands of panic-stricken passengers and crew were trying to evacuate was because he “tripped” and fell into the rescue craft.

^ a bit more on that story and also on the reason he took that route. It gets worse the more you hear of it.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...t-2992996.html

THE captain of the crippled Costa Concordia cruise ship, Francesco Schettino, has reportedly said the reason he was in a life boat while thousands of panic-stricken passengers and crew were trying to evacuate was because he "tripped" and fell into the rescue craft.

Mr Schettino told investigating magistrates in Grosseto, on the Italian mainland, that he ended up in the life boat by accident.

During three hours of interrogation on Tuesday, he reportedly said: “The passengers were pouring onto the decks, taking the lifeboats by assault. I didn’t even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers. I was trying to get people to get into the boats in an orderly fashion. Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60 to 70 degree angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That’s how I found myself there.”

He said he got stuck in the life boat for an hour before it was lowered into the water off the coast of Giglio island.

Also with him was Dimitri Christidis, the Greek second in command of the Concordia and Silvia Coronica, the third officer, according to La Repubblica newspaper.

“Suspended there, I was unable to lower the boat into the sea, because the space was blocked by other boats in the water.

The captain confirmed that he took the cruise liner close to Giglio’s rocky coast in order to give a ‘salute’ to an old colleague, a former Costa Cruises captain named Mario Palombo.

“It’s true that the salute was for Commodore Mario Palombo, with whom I was on the telephone. The route was decided as we left Civitavecchia but I made a mistake on the approach. I was navigating by sight because I knew the depths well and I had done this manoeuvre three or four times. But this time I ordered the turn too late and I ended up in water that was too shallow.

“I don’t know why it happened, I was a victim of my instincts.”

Once he had reached dry land and was allowed to leave the harbour master's office, Schettino's primary concern was to buy some socks.

Ottavio Brizzi, a taxi driver on the island of Giglio, said he picked him up at 11.30am on Saturday and took him the 400 yards to the Bahamas Hotel.

"It was a very short journey, no more than 30 seconds if that," he said. "He didn't say very much apart from asking me where he could buy some dry socks. He looked very cold and scared - he looked like a beaten dog."

I think this picture says a lot:

ccroutes.jpg.85a448a59977a14bcff0ec3102fc82b9.jpg

The routes of the Costa Concordia when it sank compared with it's previous "saluting the island"

^My answer would be "no." Although the name "Titanic" was thrown around in the media, I wouldn't put this disaster on the same level.

However, I have no intention of ever sitting through Titanic again, because I think it's one of the most overrated movies ever made.

Edited by cfc

a little bit off topic but.... Titanic 3D is suppose to come out in april. Anyone else think it would be smart to delay the release a few months (or a year) due to the unfortunate events that have happened this month?

If anything, I'd move the release UP! More people would probably go see the movie with this recent incident fresh in their minds. I know I would.

The captain confirmed that he took the cruise liner close to Giglio’s rocky coast in order to give a ‘salute’ to an old colleague, a former Costa Cruises captain named Mario Palombo.

“It’s true that the salute was for Commodore Mario Palombo, with whom I was on the telephone. The route was decided as we left Civitavecchia but I made a mistake on the approach. I was navigating by sight because I knew the depths well and I had done this manoeuvre three or four times. But this time I ordered the turn too late and I ended up in water that was too shallow.

“I don’t know why it happened, I was a victim of my instincts.”

Seriously, Carnival...what the hell??? How has this been allowed to happen??? Isn't anyone at corporate monitoring the routes that any of their ships are taking and questioning why they have gone off course SEVERAL TIMES?!?!?

Are airline pilots allowed to just "alter course" because they want to? For no real reason other than "fun"? I don't understand how this is allowed, or how someone that has been put in the position as "captain" of a ship would even allow themselves to do this!

Honestly, I think Carnival deserves whatever flak this gets them.

--Robb "Passenger safety is our priority...AFTER waving hi to my buddy on land..." Alvey

Fell into the lifeboat! He actually said that and expects people to believe it?

My new personal safety tip for if I take a Carnival cruise again:

Follow the captain and I will be one of the first off the ship in the event of a problem

The captain is now officially dumber than the entire cast of Jersey Shore. WTH?!?!?

And this whole "saluting the island" is mind-boggling. If he knew the topography of the shoreline so well than how the hell did he forget about a freaking rock sticking out the water that was infamous enough to have a nickname. The guy's stupidity during and after this incident really should lock him up for dumbest human of the year.

I don't know why, but I find this satellite picture very eerie. Source.

I think what is impressive about that photo (and the collection of photos if you follow the link) is it shows exactly how big of a ship this was. I'm just still in complete disbelieve that Carnival did not have procedures in place to prevent something like this from happening. Not even for one of their bigger, more than half-a-billion dollar ships, but to ANY of them!

--Robb