TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Academy Awards

socalMAN123

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've already started to hear the "Avatar totally should have won" nonsense, and I have to say, I was really glad to see The Hurt L-o-c-k-e-r do so well. It definitely deserved all of the wins that it received, in my opinion.

As for Best Picture, again, I'm glad that Hurt L-o-c-k-e-r won. There's probably going to be a lot of drama over it, but from what I've learned as a film student (and I was talking about this with one of my profs the other day), Avatar was definitely the most "entertaining" which would be the reason behind its massive success, but Hurt L-o-c-k-e-r was technically an all-around better film. I mean, look at all of the other awards it won - Screenplay, Directing, Editing... whereas Avatar got Visual Effects, Art Direction, Cinematography. Clearly one was "better" and one was "entertaining."

On a personal level, not just looking at the technical, I honestly feel like all Avatar has going for it is visual effects and a decent storyline that was pulled off by the aforementioned visual effects. Here's a review of Avatar that basically sums up my feelings on the matter: http://www.geekologie.com/2010/02/20minute_avatar_review_by_the.php

Also, Kate Winslet was lookin classy as always! My goal in life is to dress as well as she always does.

Edited by jazzimm

PS: If Transformers 2 wins Best Sound Mixing, I'll cry.

Usually the action movies will win Best Sound Mixing/Editing or some of the othr technical awards. It's pretty much the only way they even get nomincated for an Academy Award.

That said, here are my early predictions for the main Oscars:

Best Picture: The Hurt L-o-c-k-e-r

Best Actor: Jeff "The Dude" Bridges (Crazy Heart)

Best Actress: Gabourey Sidibe (Precious)

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds)

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique (Precious)

Best Original Screenplay: The Hurt L-o-c-k-e-r

Best Adapted Screenplay: Precious

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt L-o-c-k-e-r)

Best Animated Feature: Up

I just want to take this time to point out my awesome prediction skills. Got all of them right, except Best Actress. Go me.

I really, really liked Avatar, but it's a ways off from being Best Picture worthy. I'm glad that it won just the technical areas which it rightfully deserved.

But I'm actually kind of upset that The Hurt Lock er got as many awards as it did. Just goes to show you that it's the same old academy. I feel silly for expecting them to go outside of their comfort zone and award movies they don't normally award.

I'm glad Avatar didn't win best picture because even though the movie has some of the best visuals I've seen it is really just an okay movie. The story is too cliched and political and I didn't really think most of the acting was all that great. I just wish more people would look at an entire movie versus one specific element. Visuals are fine, but if you don't have a good story, the whole thing becomes boring and pointless.

As for The Hurt Lock-er, I haven't actually seen it yet but will be watching it tomorrow in my history of film class. My teacher has said a number of times that it is one of the best movies she's ever seen, so I'm looking forward to watching it. I doubt it deserved six awards, but at least it didn't win as many as Slumdog Millionaire last year (no way that thing deserved all the awards it got).

The only category I was all that interested in was Best Supporting Actor--Waltz's "Col. Hans Landa" was the easily the best movie villain last year. I was hoping that Up or Inglorious Basterds would win Best Picture, but knew there wasn't much chance.

Still have no desire to see Avatar.

^I hope PIXAR wins a Best Picture eventually. I thought they had a stronger shot last year with WALL-E.

It'll probably never happen though. Actors make up the majority of the academy voters. Being egomaniacs, they aren't likely to concede that they're getting their asses kicked by a bunch of computer animation nerds in NorCal.

Let's not forget that movie history (of a sort) was made over the weekend. Sandra Bullock became the first to win the Oscar for Best Actress and the Razzie for Worst Actress (for All About Steve) in the same year. She even accepted her Razzie in person on Saturday.

I kind of hoped Tarantino would take best director, but was expecting Bigelow to win after all the hype of the Hurt L O C K E R winning. I knew he wouldn't win, but most of his movies are very good, and they are entertaining, for example Inglorious Basterds was hilarious in a very dark way, but was also a great story and a kick ass action film in general. He just is, in my opinion, the best director in the world simply becasue of his track record. I mean, I love both Kill Bill's, loved Pulp Fiction, loved Basterd's. Also I havent seen Reservoir Dogs, but its supposedly awesome, and I enjoyed Grindhouse quite a bit, although Planet Terror was slightly better when comparing the two, but his part was still damn good.

I found this article really interesting. I actually remember thinking "oh my gosh, she's pulling a Kanye" when the filmmakers behind "Music by Prudence" came to accept their Oscar. I'm not really sure who to believe, but I think Williams' story sounds more likely. He's director and producer, so it makes sense that he would have had more interest and more say. Burkett just came across really rude and selfish. Anyways, I just found this interesting: http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movies/2010/03/07/music_by_prudence_burkett

The Hurt Loc'ker really isn't that amazing a film (in my opinion). The Oscars have always been torn between popularity and politics. The latter seems to be winning in recent years.

A film set in Iraq that grossed a relatively small amount of money. Oscar gold from the outset.

^I actually think for once the Academy got it right. It was a very intense, character driven movie that just happened to be set in Iraq.

I think the gross had a lot more to do with the distribution than the quality of the movie.

A film set in Iraq that grossed a relatively small amount of money. Oscar gold from the outset.

If you're talking about pandering to the Academy, look no further than The Blind Side. An affluent white family takes in a disadvantaged black kid who is a football player? That's got Oscar bait written all over it. And that's 90% of the reason I didn't want Sandra Bullock to win her Oscar, it was blatant Oscar pandering. Gabourey Sidibe put in the performance of a lifetime and deserved it way more than Sandra Bullock.

Just my $0.02

My Thoughts:

Am I surprised or dissapointed that The Hurt Locker won? No. Was it my personal pick. No. That would have been Inglorious Basterds.

I am a little dissapointed that it not only swept the Picture/Director but took some of the other awards. I certainly thought Basterds should have won the Screenplay award.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IN MY IDEAL WORLD.

^^^ I agree with you in most ways, despite social network not being my favorite film. I actually feel I liked Kings Speech and True Grit a little better, but I loved all three, and I agree it probably will win. I would LOVE the Cohen brothers to finally get their long deserved director oscar as I dont think we've ever seen better dark comedy film makers. I'd also LOVE Aronofsky to get a directorial Oscar, but I agree that Social Network is better as a whole, but I tend to not like bio pics as much. cause it's not as creative or as original, although as I said before I loved Social network for what it was, and Aronofsky is relatively young, so he has plenty of time to win. agree with you that Portman had damn well better That being said I think Black Swan is going to take best cinematography, as I have never seen camera movements quite like that.

Lastly I would love True Grit to win best adapted, because they made an awesome "action movie", or something near an action movie, and it was great. Also, I think that Hailee Steinfeld should win best supporting actor. Granted, I have not seen the fighter yet, but for someone her age to act that well...she essentially made the movie. In fact, it is my opinion that she had the best actress introduction I have seen in years, especially as this is her debut. I have heard the fighter was great though, so maybe I am wrong, but Steinfeld nailed the character in every way imaginable.