TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Academy Awards

socalMAN123

I'm not impressed that much with the Oscar Noms this year. It still feels too political and too subbish. Of course that could be said for every year.

I'm rooting for Inception for best picture. I absoluletly loved that mindbending trip. And (excuse me while I get on my soapbox) I find it really stupid of the Academy to snub the actors and actresses in Sci-Fi, Fanstasy, Horror, and Action movies. While I'm not a Leonardio DiCapio fan, I felt that he did a way better acting job in Inception than that horrid Aviator crap and awful Titanic garbage. (Okay, enough of the soapbox)

As for The Social Network, I found it to be silly and pointless, so I'm rather stumped as to why it's graced with so many nominations. Which means it's probably gonna clean house.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not impressed that much with the Oscar Noms this year. It still feels too political and too subbish. Of course that could be said for every year.

I'm rooting for Inception for best picture. I absoluletly loved that mindbending trip. And (excuse me while I get on my soapbox) I find it really stupid of the Academy to snub the actors and actresses in Sci-Fi, Fanstasy, Horror, and Action movies. While I'm not a Leonardio DiCapio fan, I felt that he did a way better acting job in Inception than that horrid Aviator crap and awful Titanic garbage. (Okay, enough of the soapbox)

As for The Social Network, I found it to be silly and pointless, so I'm rather stumped as to why it's graced with so many nominations. Which means it's probably gonna clean house.

Whats political? One I suppose could argue that The Kids Are All Right is too "liberal"(if you buy into that sort of thing) but overall it is a great film. There have been many other years while Ive held your beliefs, but not so much this year.

Hahaha...I'm not smart. I was watching Fox news with my dad, which drives me insane, and it always makes me think of politics, so I read your post and it threw me off. I apologize, that makes MUCH ore sense.

I am about to watch Dogtooth by the way, Tyler, so we'll see if I like it. Based on your movie ratings we seem to have fairly similar tastes, and I've got a 4.8 recommendation on netflix, but as of now every review is not mentioning any humor, so I am going into it with the mentality of it being a drama with possible a few funny moments? We'll see. The plot does sound interesting and kind of creepy though.

The I Fail Ghost

^Maybe, but I personally think that Tron: Legacy not being nominated for Best Visual Effects was a bigger snub.

I can't imagine films like Toy Story 3, Inception, or Social Network winning Best Picture either. Don't get me wrong, they're all great films, but I think they're all too popular compared to the rest of the nominees. I hope to get a look at the rest of the Best Picture nominees before the actual awards to get a more precise opinion.

Honestly, I'm not surprised that Tron: Legacy was not nominated for Visual Effects. It can be argued that it's computer animation, not real visual effects (just like the first movie). Of course, these days, much of the visual effects are computer generated, especially since it can be cheaper to produce than constructing the real thing or using models and stop motion. (Part of Inception's high production cost was the rotating hallway set they constructed.)

As for the Best Score category, I'm not happy with most of the nominations. Han Zimmer is the only one I like. I'm starting to warm up to A. R. Rahman, especially now that I'm recognizing his name in other movies that I liked. But if John Williams is not on the list, then it's bad year for the Best Score category--in my jaded narrow-minded opinion.

Nominating Toy Story 3 in both the "Best Picture" and the "Best Animated Feature Film" pretty much guarantees it'll win the latter. If the other two toon flicks weren't "Best Picture" worthy, they couldn't possibly be as good at Toy Story 3, right?

Having ten nominees for "Best Picture" is such nonsense.

You know, I think I know why viewership for these shows is (or at least has been) going downhill. Simply, it's that the popular films for the public rarely manage to get more than a token nomination, whereas art house films (or at least those their styling) tend to be seeing more of the awards these days. While it is true that we've had a novel year with four of the best film nominees being VERY mainstream and popular films, it's hard to deny that cases like The Godfather, which was both the highest grossing and best picture of its year, are becoming rarer.

Forgive me if any/all of that ramble was based off of pseudo-fact, I don't keep up too well with the movie industry.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've seen 8 of the 10 Best Picture Nominees (Haven't seen Winters Bone or 127 Hours) I think I can do my picks:

Should win/Will win

BEST PICTURE: Inception/The Social Network

DIRECTING: David Fincher/David Fincher

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE: Colin Firth/Colin Firth

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE: Natalie Portman/Natalie Portman

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Christian Bale/Christian Bale

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Hailee Steinfeld/Melissa Leo

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: The Social Network/The Social Network

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: The King's Speech/The King's Speech

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM: Toy Story 3/Toy Story

I just wanted to mention, about Best Supporting Actress ... I watched both True Grit and The Fighter back to back yesterday. I honestly don't see why Melissa Leo's performances is so heralded. I didn't find it that great.

Hailee Steinfeld on the other hand was not only the best performance in that category, but perhaps the best performance of the year, Period. She was fantastic.

I'm going to be working tonight, so I will miss the Oscars...and I don't mind one bit.

I know I call myself the movie guy here, but year after year, I've become more and more disillusioned with the Oscars. They're nothing more than a glorified fashion show, where the Academy awards the best costume drama of the year.

I'm sure The King's Speech, the likely winner, is an excellent film, and I'll like it when I see it, but I also loved Inception, which has suddenly become a "cool to hate" movie in the heat of this season. Christopher Nolan is a damned genius, who, like Stanley Kubrick and Alfred Hitchcock before him, will most likely be unappreciated in his own time by hipsters who don't get him, and by an Academy that is increasingly averse to Sci-Fi, horror, comedy, and all other genres that aren't costume dramas.

Screw the system, and screw the Oscars. I watch what I feel like...and what should I care about "who" these people are wearing?

^ I agree with you 100% about Nolan/Inception. Even though I've seen all of the other nominated movies (except the two I mentioned) Inception is still my favorite and IMO the best movie of last year.

I will say though, this is the first time that I can honestly say that all of the "Best Picture" nominated films are actually REALLY good movies that I really enjoyed. There are typically at least 1 or 2 movies that I just "don't get" why they are the "Best".

If Kings Speech, Social Network, True Grit, Toy Story 3 or Inception win, I won't be at all disappointed. The other 3 I've seen (Black Swan, The Fighter, The Kids Are All Right) are good enough to have been nominated, but not good enough to win IMO.

I've also only seen 8 of the 10 nominated films. (Haven't seen The Fighter or 127 Hours). Based on what I have seen, I would love Inception to win, but I know it won't. It felt like the most original story I have seen in a long time. The King's Speech and Black Swan both are favorites of mine from this awards season. Toy Story 3 and The Kids Are Alright were both charming. Winter's Bone was a good surprise, pretty gritty. I enjoyed the Social Network's score a lot, thought the story was interesting considering it took place only a few years ago. It was nice to see a college movie not about screw ups. True Grit was good for a western, but I hate westerns, so I found it boring. But I thought Hailee Steinfeld did a great job considering she was in almost every scene. I saw Rabbit Hole recently and thought Nicole Kidman did a fantastic job, also felt Aaron Eckhart was overlooked. In my opinion, that was the best performance I have ever seen him do. Also enjoyed Michelle Williams performance in Blue Valentine and thought Jeffery Rush was great in The King's Speech.

Yeah, there were no surprises last night, at least not that I can think of. Pretty much all of the predictions were right on, which made for a rather boring show.

I'm still mad that Hailee Steinfeld didn't win for Best Supporting Actress. That was the only award I was actually disappointed there wasn't an "upset". My personal "best" movie didn't win, but Kings Speech WAS a great movie.

Throw in the absolutely stoned James Franco (and not even a funny stoned) and the show was pretty bad.

I thought Anne Hathaway did a good job hosting, I'd like to see her back, maybe with Hugh Jackman?

They left some people off the In Memoriam such as Fess Parker and Cory Haim.

I thought it was a bit weird, and rather a shame, that the "Documentary Short Subject" category got more airtime than the "Documentary Feature" category. I sat there watching the latter category's nominees thinking, "Wait, what the hell are any of these actually about??"

Those two, and the technical categories are most interesting to me. The rest are mostly politics.

Also, did I catch some audience members moaning about Christian Bale giving his character's real life inspiration a "plug" during his speech?

Throw in the absolutely stoned James Franco (and not even a funny stoned) and the show was pretty bad.

Franco wasn't stoned - that's just how he is. He has a rather unique energy and personality.

Danny Boyle almost didn't cast him in 127 Hours for the same reason. They met to discuss the role, and Boyle thought Franco was stoned. He wasn't going to cast him - then a number of people explained to him that Franco doesn't smoke pot, he's just naturally like that all the time.