TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Was the Last Beer You Drank?

robbalvey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^That sounds fantastic...

Mine was Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale on Tap while walking around Universal's Islands of Adventure a couple of days ago... I was giddy to see it on tap at the "Watering Hole" in Jurassic Park... I can spot that "Snowman" from damn near a mile away... Love it...

I think I remember reading that Stone is actually looking to open a satellite brewery in Europe somewhere

The same brewery that completely missed the mark on distributing to Wisconsin, instead of Illinois? Good job there.

They didn't realize that Chicagoans would be their major purchasers, and were willing to hop the border to get it. Once it came to Illinois, Wisconsin sales dropped like a rock. So much so, that they dropped selling there altogether. So, in summary:

1) Stone is not as smart as I'd like to think they are.

2) Wisconsians are really f'in dumb.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Sweetwater was good.

On Saturday I had Great Divide's Oak Aged Espresso Yeti, Founder's Double Trouble IPA, and Goose Island's Vanilla Bourbon County Stout. I wasn't impressed with that version, as there was barely a hint of vanilla.

Yesterday....Founder's 2009 Nemesis, New Glarus Cherry Tart, Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree, and Goose Islane Matilda.

I'm going to suggest some beers that I know are available in Alabama, I don't know what all you guys get since distribution varies so much

Coffee: Terrapin Wake-n-Bake, should be about $10/4 pack, can be found on tap occasionally

Chocolate: Terrapin Moo-hoo, should be about $8/6 pack, also on tap at places.

Fruity is a bit wide - IPAs can give fruitiness (mostly tropical, like grapefruits), but also come with bitterness of varying harshness. There are some fruit beers of various styles available, usually noted as such on the bottle or in the name.

There is a place called the Blackstone Pub And Eatery in Gadsden that sounds like a place to get a good beer, thought it's mostly bottles. They offer Chimay White, which I have a feeling you would like. I can get Chimay at Publix, so maybe you can too. There is a place in Birmingham called the J Clyde that may be the best bar in the state for getting good beer - ooh, I noticed they have Hanssens Oude Gueuze in a bottle for $11, which is actually quite a deal for lambic, that may also be a style you like (though, as it is dry, a bit musty, flat, and has a bit of tartness, so this is also a beer you may despise!). Mellow mushrooms often carry some good local craft beers that you can try. Most places are willing to let you sample a beer out of a small glass, so when in doubt, just ask to try some stuff and compare.

Yay, thanks! I'm going to look for those . And I've been to Blackstone a few times; never ordered anything though, just went to hang out. Actually had no idea what to order. But it's a cool place. I will definitely ask for samples! I'm excited to go out tasting now!

Mellow mushroom is also generally a pretty good place to get some good craft beers, but they vary greatly from having an amazing, wide selection, to having Sam Adams Boston Lager, which is ok but available nearly EVERYWHERE, as their best beer. They have a corporate philosophy to favor good local craft beers, but it doesn't always translate to the stores.

• 3 weeks later...

I have yet to try the Terrapin that was recommended to me because I can't find it in a store, and I have had absolutely zero time to go to a bar. I did, however, try this. It's a local company that's currently constructing a micro-brewery right here in little ole Gadsden, Alabama. Here's the company's site: http://www.backfortybeer.com/

I thought, yay, I'll support local business and try it. Plus it won an award so surely it couldn't be that bad. They only have two beers out right now. This one is Truck Stop Honey Ale, and they also have a pale ale called Naked Pig.

Blech, blech, blech. Not a beer for me! My husband said it was the best one he's had so far (which isn't really saying much because he hasn't tried that many, lol). I'm still holding out hope for liking the Terrapin once I find it!

100_2502.JPG.c27c12a09cf42b0b4f1ee523b53b907e.JPG