TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Was the Last Beer You Drank?

robbalvey

I thought I would contribute some Australian beers. I'm not really that good on identifying what the different flavour components are, I just know what I like and don't like.

coopers.jpg.6f0d62598be04fb0db7eeeb269f0bc4c.jpg

Coopers Sparkling Ale, brewed here in Adelaide by a medium sized family owned brewery. The secondary fermentation takes place in the bottle, so there is a layer of sediment requiring gentle agitiation to mix it through the beer. I think it has a banana like flavour. Not something I would drink a lot of.

1861479143_razorbackbacklabel.jpg.d74ba22cf50736d3c438f828bea39a6b.jpg

The back label. I wish I could have detected all of those flavours.

razorback.jpg.40f2327debad0d76d0605ea8c8f35aa9.jpg

Razorback Red Ale - apparently brewed in Jindabyne (Snowy Mountains, New South Wales). It has a sweetish taste, a bit like a porter. I didn't really like it too much

Thanks for the contribution brilinjo!

WFChris: Your expectations probably were a little too high, kind of depends what other IPAs you've had before it. It's definitely on the malty side but I think that's a nice change of pace sometimes. I personally like the 60 minute better than the 90.

2 more Australian beers, 1 local (Barossa Valley), 1 from New South Wales

pepperjack.jpg.a0b1dca80e66b624025a3db89426662b.jpg

Pepperjack Ale. This is actually brewed by Saltram Winery in the Barossa Valley, infused with one of their better known wines, Pepperjack Shiraz. It was a nice smooth ale, but unfortunately I couldn't detect any wine presence.

2018434107_wickedelf.jpg.5c684673c63ea630c09d7daec3641f2c.jpg

Wicked Elf Pale Ale from The Little Brewing Company, Port MacQuarie, New South Wales. This is in an APA style, with citrus/pine flavours and a hint of honey on the aftertaste. I liked this a lot. (I think my drinking glasses must have some detergent out of the dishwasher as the beer wasn't as flat as the head may indicate)

I decided to try the new Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier brew. I wasn't sure how I'd like it, since I don't necessarily like blackberries. However, I was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't have a strong blackberry taste - more like a subtle hint of it. It's actually quite good, and maybe one of my new favorite beers.

DSC04381.JPG.daa39e26e8da40adaa35e36805147382.JPG

Definitely different, and definitely delicious.

It has been a while since I've posted any pictures. I have a bunch but I think I am going to keep it a little bit short and only post the highlights since we've been revisiting a lot of the same beers lately.

Wednesday this week I am hoping to get to a BeerAdvocate South Bay Meetup where we will enjoy many fine offerings from Midnight Sun. I am taking the camera and plan to make a post on that sometime in the next week.

I think someone else needs to liven this place up once in a while! Nice to see DiSab and brilinjo contributing some different stuff though.

P4180136.JPG.05f9b2865e1dd5fd68fca4536d8b18f7.JPG

And by golly I had forgotten how amazing this beer was when fresh, still one of my favorite IPAs.

P4180133.JPG.f3e1b16cdf9bdfc100b4b6e9db71b372.JPG

I know I know, I said no repeats, but I had to post it because we've been having trouble finding fresh batches lately and we found a bomber at Whole Foods with a bottled on date from last month, that's fresh!

P4170122.JPG.b8f835d2892d00f20aab55cb0a0b371c.JPG

It was better than I thought it would be. He says the apricot is more overpowering than he wanted it to be and he had hoped for more beer flavor. I would agree with this but the apricot flavor was really nice and the beer was refreshing on a warm night.

P4170121.JPG.7682b65794ed9a988472f3203dcbb031.JPG

Then this past weekend my buddy's brother delivered me one of his homebrews. I think this is like his 6th or 7th batch of beer and he's done a good job so far. This was an Apricot Ale.

P4160120.JPG.30381d2e3840729cf7aee7b9f5a58f5d.JPG

So we went back to BJ's and I finally tried a Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale, which I've seen a few different places and always wanted to try. It was tasty for sure, a nice Oud Bruin.

3109_733726114853_3206801_42398841_6061327_n.jpg.92799e6cdfd6dce2d632c157ca599ede.jpg

We tried to take a picture of the error they had from their Dish TV feed, which is how the Beer Wars movie was distributed, but it didn't turn out so well. They basically claimed the feed they downloaded corrupted their hard drive or something like that. What a crock of poop. We were all very disappointed, but we did get a free movie coupon out of it and a refund. I guess I have to wait for the DVD.

P4160119.JPG.0e5ae5580ec897c4212d951cd67a8e29.JPG

This is when we were still excited to see Beer Wars. My coworker J.T., and my coworker Dan's girlfriend pose underneath the sign.

P4160118.JPG.362151c5282294e1d8d0249bc9496990.JPG

And I followed that up with a BJ's PM Porter on Nitro. It's hard for me to pass it up. It's pretty mild but the mouthfeel is great and the flavor profile is well done.

P4160114.JPG.30a6d02eb706e633562011a5c5c15fd9.JPG

I started with a Speakeasy Untouchable Pale Ale, which was nice and fresh. Speakeasy has a sort of dank unique flavor to their hoppy beers. A nice change of pace.

P4160116.JPG.9756a0609cf6c7a02979873cc526179e.JPG

Surprisingly, they added a whole two pages to their menu of guest beers on tap. Some really cool stuff too.

P4160117.JPG.e3659f09de2bbbe4a61982cbdf5502cc.JPG

Last week we attempted to go to see Beer Wars at a local theatre. Beforehand we'd go to dinner at BJ's. Here's their brews.

P4090082.JPG.a83b6c828e8a9de2c05ef4f39eb48d1b.JPG

Went to a Sharks game too, last home game of the season, Fan Appreciation night.

P4060076.JPG.174cf1a0362829e8af2fc1b6c424cc39.JPG

My first anniversary beer from Firestone Walker opened my eyes. Never before have I experienced so many different flavors in one beer. Blending many beers seems to have that effect. My review can be found at: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2210/45829/?ba=Bubba83

4.8/5 ain't bad! In my top 5 all time.

P4060068.JPG.dbeca0ea0cc675d7ce7e651559937031.JPG

I don't know why I drank this on a random weeknight by myself, but I was feeling blue so I did it. Firestone Walker XII. My only bottle =[

P4040044.JPG.164938ee986de793a2ce0220173939b1.JPG

I cooked my mom a birthday dinner a couple of weeks ago... Bourbon County Stout glazed Cedar Plank Salmon with Roasted Asparagus and Garloc Red Mashed Potatoes.

P4030039.JPG.c782985169ad2dd823f18c3d6b4cc8ee.JPG

As like many things with Sam Adams, it's a solid beer. Nice flavor, but nothing exquisite.

P4030037.JPG.01f8b1d245df555e6f87b6455fd53911.JPG

Samuel Adams Imperial Stout, from their newly launch Imperial Series.

P4010033.JPG.422b928f6c543a1f2bb8840c7dd75111.JPG

You're jealous. Very jealous.

P4010030.JPG.e1ecb4c7a0ee4d07eb434e543a322a07.JPG

Even though Pliny the Elder is a beer that I drink all the time now since it's so easy to get, I figured I'd post it just to piss you all off.

P3290025.JPG.74a730d8693f7d74fc289f381dd63a49.JPG

Hey I got a haircut! The beer was amazing. Unlike anything else I've had yet. I wouldn't go in expecting too much different from a really good saison, but boy, it is a REALLY good saison, and the Brett just gives it this little funky/slight sour edge that puts it over the top.

P3290019.JPG.1a7ab0ce17f4c198bd0288de76733d41.JPG

Boulevard's Saison-Brett. Part of their crazy good Smokestack Series.

P3270005.JPG.cec4c86b62529558e9c00cd5a1865510.JPG

Holy crap I let my hair get long. As for the beer, really tasty, it's sort of like if you took an Irish Dry Stout and made it a lager. Very roasty yet light and refreshing somehow?

P3270004.JPG.577f555fc3e03e859cc3963b58210398.JPG

Port Brewing's Midnight Sessions Lager.

Due to massive redecorating and such forth, I can't post any photo's (the evil gnomes of wall paper stole the lead) so I will just avail you with mere words...

Tonight I thought I would get in the mood, and play some Grand Theft Auto 4 whilst drinking some Eastern European beer. It was fun, but then I finished GTA and ran out of beer

Now (8 cans later) I am on Tuborg and Stella Artois, after 6 cans of Tyskie

I missed beer during lent, consider this a catch up

Hoping Kegatron gets his lazy butt on here soon to post some Dark Lord Day pictures.

P4290013.JPG.cbd212e7c994ad93aebcd535aff147ac.JPG

And the winner is the Kentucky Breakfast Stout from '07. The '06 had great flavor but was a little undercarbonated which negatively affected the mouthfeel and aroma. The '07 had better carbonation and the balance of flavors was awesome. The '08 was a little too bourbony for me, but still good. The '09 just tasted way young in comparison, pretty hot on the alcohol impacting both the flavor and drinkability negatively. Also just not that complex (yet) Should be interesting to get to try the regular Breakfast Stout pretty soon here assuming Heath is sending it out to me.

P4290012.JPG.4316f18bcb9d0e1efb901a6e763ea890.JPG

And here's a picture of that Kentucky Breakfasts beer I've never heard of before. Something about it being able to cure ailments?! Okay I kid I kid, I have obviously heard of this beer. I was really excited about trying a vertical 06-09 of this beer since I hadn't had it yet. Arbitrator brought it to the tasting cause he's awesome.

P4290011.JPG.e687241e898578f4ee2f7752bdfb0821.JPG

Next up we had what I brought with me. New Belgium's La Folie. I was surprised to learn at least a couple, maybe 3? Of the 5 total we had there had never had it before. So I guess I picked something okay to bring for once :] Everyone generally liked it a lot, including me of course, I actually prefer it over Consecration...

P4290010.JPG.9821da33a703b0d02dc9382bba0211f2.JPG

We also had an 07 Double Bastard, which was quite nice aged. And on the left is a 4 pack of some Founders beer I've never heard of before... Something about Kentucky Breakfasts being good or something?! No idea... On the right, label turned, is a 2006 John Barleycorn Barleywine from Mad River, also quite good.

P4290009.JPG.79250b11ecd8c59176dfdbac24ab4800.JPG

A few of us South Bay BA folks had a somewhat informal meetup in downtown Redwood City for a tasting yesterday. I forgot to take pictures of the venue. Oops! Anyway, here's what we drank first. Mark brought some Surly stuff, Bitter Brewer was really different, smelled of raw hops! Coffee Bender is always good.

P4240007.JPG.c5ddaf276aaf3ab9fc45ff5368b4ef74.JPG

Yum.

P4240005.JPG.2b26456cae9b376a775eb77402cad093.JPG

My uncle and I shared a Pliny last weekend.

^ KBS is always yummy. Although I like the old labels better.

DLD was friggin' insane, although I hear it was much better organized than years past. I went without a Golden Ticket and still snagged two bottles. Which is funny, since I really don't like it at all.

Deciding to keep them, trade them, or put them up on eBay.

Just saw the news... the temperatures in hell are rapidly approaching zero as I have decided to post in the beer thread!

Here are a bunch of random photos from the past couple months. Lots of photos and short notes since, well, this is gonna take a while! Not in any real order.. instead of downloading them to my computer, I've been uploading them to flikr.. Enjoy!

First.. a gift from Derek, fresh Nugget Nectar! Probably the easiest to drink, super-hoppy beer I have had.

While sitting at the bar at Taco Mac Metroplis one day, a cask showed up without notice!

The beer was Terrapin Sun Ray aged in wine barrels.. and it was terrible. No wonder it went un-announced!

Also at Metropolis, Ommegang Rouge. I've had this one twice so far, and will keep getting it every visit till its gone. Probably my favorite "wild ale" so far, not too strong, superb drinkability, crisp tartness.. a perfectly balanced sour, great stuff

Next, Malheur 12, a big Belgian quad. Rich and creamy, big dark fruit flavor with some spices mixed in and high drinkability. Definitely a quad that is unfairly lost among the classic great Belgians

Weinstephaner (or whatever) Vitus.. new to GA and I gotta admit, its a seriously good wheat. Stronger fruity flavors to go along with the thicker body and higher abv

From Leon's, the new place from the Brick Store folks... Beersel Framboise. Light body, delicate tartness and a fine raspberry fllavor

Also at Leon's they offer a "biggie shortie" deal.. 750s and such by the glass, so I got to try a third of a bottle of Black Ops for $7. It was pretty good - thinner than expected and with less bourbon than I had hoped, it was a let down for me. Still a good beer with its roasted barley and chocolate

Random photo from Leon's... I haven't been back since, they are only open for like 6 hours a night, and are always packed =(

Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza - standard Belgian golden ale, tons of yeast, and a bit of JP funk tossed in

Picked this up in a trade, Alesmith Grand Cru. Great dark ale, lots of candies and cherry flavor

Finally, a second beer from ABC that I like, the Red Brick Chocolate Porter. This one started out weak for me but the rich chocolate malts really came on strong as I sipped.

Picked this one up a few weeks ago.. Struiselenis, a pretty simple Belgian sour ale. Huge sour aroma gives way to a much more approachable and drinkable sour beer with lots of yeastiness

Cask pour of Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale from 5 Seasons. Heavy on caramel malts, a bit of cocoa, nuttiness and cola mixed in. Standard but good scotch ale

Insanity finally made its way down to GA! Finally, one of my favorite beers! And... it disappointed. Its just ok fresh, both of the previous bottles I had were at least a year old so I'm hoping it just needs time (cause its the first beer I ever bought a case of!)

Corey posing with the Sweetwater Dank Tank Ron Burgundy I love Scotch Ale.. yes that's the entire name! Brewed in small amounts for Taco Mac's 30th anniversary its a sweet, malty, delicious scotch ale. Not quite a "scotch, scotch, scotch!" flavor, that would have been nice. Terrapin brewed a beer for them too, due out next week

Ommegang Biere de Mars, a brut with some funk... not the best combo

Another Taco Mac draft, Houblon Chouffe, a tasty golden ale that treats the palate to candied sweetness and balanced hop bitterness and is probably the best Belgian IPA I've had

Speaking of Belgian IPA.. Terrapin Side Project #5, not quite as good as Dos Cocoas IMO but good beer nonetheless. Think Houblon with American hops and more punch

I got my Bigfoot fix this year and I still love it, probably about as hoppy as I can stand my barleywines to be.

I cracked a bottle of my Lost Abbey Red Poppy on a nice cold night back in March. Very acidic, dry and delicious cherry flavor. I can't say I'm one of the LA haters

I've had this several times - cans, draft you name it. I really like Oskar Blues' new Yella Pils, a perfect warm afternoon beer to quench a thirst

Another Belgian IPA this time with even more Americanization than the Terrapin.. I prefer Euro style hopping over the aggressive American hops

A nice big mug of Victory Donnybrook.. again why do people drink Guinness when there are better, cheaper options?

Got a bottle of Gouden Carolous Ambrio at the Brick Store the other day.. better than I expected, bready malts and citrus with a dry finish

From the same visit last week, Terrapin's Side Project #6 the 30 Shelling Scotch Ale. Sweetwater brews a hoppy Belgian in December, Terrapin releases one in March. Sweetwater puts a scotch ale out in March, Terrapin follows up in May.. hmmmm. Anyways typical scotch ale, not my fav style but its ahrd to pass up cask ale

If I don't like scotch ale so much, why do I keep force feeding myself? Harpoon's limited release of 'Steve Stewarts Firth of Forth' ale. This one was particularly average, the bridge is more interesting

I was gonna have this bottle of de Rocs Golden, but a bunch floating yeasties like that one made me decide against it. I'll just have to get a new bottle

Instead I went with Dark Horse's Black Bier, recieved from Derek late last year. It was beautiful, with a nice smoky flavor

This week's trip to Metropolis brought me Ft Collins Barrel licked Bock and at 10+% it really didn't need a 20oz mug guys.. but it was really good. Robust malt flavor with smoke on top and a bit of warming bourbon

I think thats it. I guess if I keep up with this more frequently this won't take so long

Well, I would post a Photo thing about my beers that I have bene drinking tonight, but I left my phone charger at Disneyland Paris, and now my battery is dead, so no photo's..

Basically, I'm working my way through what Marstons has on offer, mainly Pedigree and Old Empire. Super Beers, and nice and local, too But then again, that's what comes from having the worlds brewing capital not too far away

^^ I never knew San Diego was next to Stafford.

Good to see you back Joe, you've been drinking the good stuff. I must say, I just made probably the most exciting BevMo run to date. I am very impressed with their new found effort towards improving their beer selection.

^^ I never knew San Diego was next to Stafford.

Good to see you back Joe, you've been drinking the good stuff. I must say, I just made probably the most exciting BevMo run to date. I am very impressed with their new found effort towards improving their beer selection.

Next to Stafford? I live there! Well, the original Stafford, not the one in Virginia

^ Which sure isn't England anymore!

Anyways todays special beers... I had to keep going and going, the Brick Store had a stellar lineup this weekend

First off, the reason I go Saturday afternoons - cask ale! This week featured Centurion's Ghost Ale from the folks at York in England. BA calls it an English Strong Ale - why its only 5.4%? Much more of a porter. Roasty malts with some caramels, traces of toffee and bitterness. Rather good!

My second beer is the Sierra Nevada "Brown Saison" - meaning to me just a funkier saison. Very earthy look and taste matches. Sweet and fruity, citrus hops come out a bit, and a secondary taste of tart cherry. Not really super tart like so many American sour beers, in fact I would have liked a little more, but very good overall

This one was not really on the menu - "hey, it says Allagash, which one is it?" -- "Confluence" dammit guess I have to get another one! A little bit of a downer. It had all the musty, sour, citric aromas and flavors you'd expect but none were really well developed, strong or for that matter, memorable. A good beer but not anywhere near what Allagash can do.

So the guy next to me asks the server "what is Fastenbier like?" and which point I'm saying damn I gotta get one more! Poured into the small stange, I was kinda let down. I love the Schlenkerla rauch's but this one seemed subdued in terms of the smoke, but therefore more drinkable which is good because it had a lot more body to it. Still, this one is all about the smoke, I just wish it was more of the aggressive rauch than one which tries to be drinkable

Okay, quick question for the beer afficionados. My mother-in-law just brought me back an Alba from Scotland since she knew I liked beer (man, am I lucky to have a cool mother-in-law!), but I'm confused on the serving temperature, and I'd like to have it tonight during the Bruins game.

The label says best at room temp., but she told me it was being served out of the cooler over there too. Thoughts from the experts? I appreciate it, guys.

^ I'd start it cool. Not cold. Although it's a trippel (an odd sounding one at that). Id' say try one glass cooled, and one warm and see how you like it. That's the most important thing anyway. Those Beer Advocate people take themselves way too serious.

I don't always trust bars on how they serve stuff, as they're typically wrong. If they serve everything in a pint glass, chances are they don't know what they're doing.

Shetland spruce ale was said to "stimulate animal instincts" and give you twins.

And with this note, warn Shannon immediately after consumption!

Honestly I think you should throw it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes and then drink it... or if its in the fridge already, let it warm up for a few minutes then drink it. Basically your fridge should be about 38 degrees and I'd drink around 45, I don't think that beer should be *that* warm though the Brits in general think beer should be room temp. Room temp in GA in the summer is a lot more than in the UK...